How important is the CHL

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'm curious about people's views on the CHL (and more importantly, why)? I get the impression that some people consider it little more than extension to the pre-season. I on the other hand think it's the main motivation for league success. Having the extra CHL slot this season somewhat softened the blow of finishing second last season. I'm old enough to have gone on the historic visit to Tilburg and, to me, playing the best teams we can has always held a certain allure.

Wannabe2

Pluses
Playing better teams brings out the best in you.
A chance for fans to see different teams, different players.
Hopefully spreading the news that the EIHL ain’t a bad league.
Travelling possibly bonding the players.
Chance for some fans to travel and support their team.
Minuses
More games possibly more injuries.
More travelling.
More expense, maybe offset by home games
Possibly deflating if results go badly
Usually nothing at the end of it.
I am one of those who look at it as more pre season games, rightly or wrongly, I don’t think it’s extra motivation for winning the league, as surely most players want to win a championship. That’s my take folks, whether it makes sense is another thing.

BostonBart22

Being in the CHL always bring the best out of the devils, had some cracking home games in the competition last few years, if devils get a good start in these games our barn will be buzzing. some clubs may never play in the CHL so anyone not got a ticket get to the rink friday and sunday, should be crackers.

OJLloyd

I love it. The CHL games are played at a pace we only saw in the league last year against Belfast.

The hockey is better, we play better, and I get to visit new, random places I might never have gotten to see otherwise. Salzburg and Bern were amazing last year.

But for me it just feels special. These aren’t just friendlies against the best teams in Europe. We have actually earned the right to play them, and whether it’s a bit too passionate or not, the idea of showing them how good we can be gets me super pumped. Singing the Welsh national anthem in a building of about 9000 Swiss people, showing them who we are, was honesty one of the best moments I’ve had watching sport.

That goal against Davos at home was ridiculous. It’s up there with the Shane Williams try after 80 minutes against Scotland, or the second goal against Italy by the welsh football team. (Afraid it comes behind Wales winning the grand slam in ‘05 and Wales v Belgium at the Euros for me).

5-1 against a Vaxjo team who went to be runners up. Absolutely nuts.

In case it needs clarifying, I am indeed quite fond of the CHL.

Mazzoak

If we loose, it’s like the other excuses, it’s not that important.

If we win a game or progress, it’s amazingly important.

KaneDevils

I love it. The CHL games are played at a pace we only saw in the league last year against Belfast.

The hockey is better, we play better, and I get to visit new, random places I might never have gotten to see otherwise. Salzburg and Bern were amazing last year.

But for me it just feels special. These aren’t just friendlies against the best teams in Europe. We have actually earned the right to play them, and whether it’s a bit too passionate or not, the idea of showing them how good we can be gets me super pumped. Singing the Welsh national anthem in a building of about 9000 Swiss people, showing them who we are, was honesty one of the best moments I’ve had watching sport.

That goal against Davos at home was ridiculous. It’s up there with the Shane Williams try after 80 minutes against Scotland, or the second goal against Italy by the welsh football team. (Afraid it comes behind Wales winning the grand slam in ‘05 and Wales v Belgium at the Euros for me).

5-1 against a Vaxjo team who went to be runners up. Absolutely nuts.

In case it needs clarifying, I am indeed quite fond of the CHL.
Quite possibly the best post I've read on here.
I'm yet to see a CHL game but that changes Sunday, cannot wait.
As has been said, we get to see different teams, different players, better quality and us devils get to mix with Europe's elite.

What's not to like?

The CHL is by far the most important competition of the season. For the Devils, for Cardiff, for Wales and the UK. By far the most important and by far the best hockey we will see in Cardiff this year. The Devils (and the giants) have a responsibilty to the whole of UK ice hockey.
Over the last two seasons the CHL games have been tremoundously entertaining. The supporters who pass them over in favour of domestic games are missing a trick

Gough60

I never thought 20 years ago when I 1st took my 9yr old daughter to a game in the WNI just to if she would enjoy it did i think I would be booking flights to Prague, Vaxjo and now Gothenburg to watch them in the CHL. Its a fantastic compertition and I still get a massive grin on my face when I remember going 2-0 up against Liberic over there.
Then there is watching them beat teams without question ranked a lot higher than us at home. Cant wait to watch Frolunda Indians over there. We get to play the best team in Europe. Whats not to like about CHL?. Bring it every year please.

d20

I could watch the CHL games every week it is the best hockey you'll see ,just seeing us play against teams like Davos,Vaxjo and this year the best team by a mile Frolunda is stuff a few years ago we would never have believed on top of that years ago we would have barely touched the puck we now compete......beating Davos was a superb moment for this club,cant wait for these games....if you havent got a ticket get one.

RTfarty

If I'm being honest, I look forward to the CHL more than the playoffs, challenge cup and majority of league fixtures. The standard is a step above anything we've ever seen domestically, it's an opportunity to see some of the best teams/players in Europe, plus there is something to be said about being the underdog; beating Davos in OT is one of those memories that will stick with me forever, one of the most exciting Devils games I've ever watched.

But I also think our and other EIHL teams' participation is instrumental to strengthening the reputation of the league, recruitment and ultimately the standard of the league. Can't wait for the weekend!

mjh

In my opinion, it's a cool experience. A reward for success and a great challenge to play some awesome teams. At the same time it can be a bit miserable if we aren't competing and getting whooped. I went to see a couple of CHL games last season and we were very competitive. At the time I posted that it was the best quality game I had seen in person even though we lost narrowly. Can't remember who we played as I've got a terrible memory but it was the game Mike Hedden scored on the breakaway. Perhaps against the Austrian team? Anyway, I'm going Friday and if we play well and don't get trounced, I'm sure it will be well worth it. Also, I'm looking for a sign off every time I post. How about.... Super hockey plays! ?

Mazzoak

In terms of progress the CHL is becoming hugely important. It attracts players to us, makes recruitment more attractive. It gives players valuable experience. It’s massively entertaining especially when we can compete at that level.

The danger is the domestic league, success at CHL will impact us financially and possibly negatively impact our domestic success. A nice problem to have considering our history.

Just to chip in....

It does also mean that childhood dreams are realised. Gone on those days where you spend the whole summer creating the Devils home and away kit and poor looking characters half resembling the players. Not to mention the meticulous and tedious task of entering each of their names and creating the skill sets unique in your own mind to each player. And then the satisfying part of creating your own legend character with top ratings just so you can play on the Devils team as their top sniper etc lol.

Now lads and lasses.....thanks to those CHL games.....that is a thing of the past.....kids can just simply turn on their computers and select a fully created Devils team with kit and all included. A dream realised for the mighty Devils to be part of the EA Sports gaming world.

Imagine how much spare playing time they now have without the aggro of inputting all that dater and having to select LONDON as your home town.

Not that I really know anything about it. Those that know KNOW. Lol

Gospel

I like to see the CHL games but from the clubs point of view do they see it as being such an important tournament? I would love to see us progressing out of the group but I just cant see it happening to be honest.

Earnie

My take on CHL is that it is our barometer to measure where we are in the world of Ice Hockey. To even get there you are doing well . You are amongst Champions. To progress you are doing even better. We have been there three consecutive years so that is very good going. We have not progressed though. Maybe this time!

Wannabe2

Our group is so so strong, Frolunda should win it, Mountfield 2nd, Graz 3rd Devils 4th, But our team is certainly capable of a few upsets, and it wouldn’t be surprising.