Haddad released by Greenville

Mooney#16

I’m not trying to misrepresent anything. It's been widely acknowledged that the mental impact on getting ready for these battles night after night, contributed to the issues that these guys had after their careers ended. But you simply cannot ignore the physical impact that bare knuckle punches to the head repeatedly had on these guys either. I like a good fight as much as anyone, but I don’t want to see anyone get badly hurt for my gratification either. And if keeping the lids on (which is where all this started!), is more likely to result in a more minor hand injury, rather than a potentially serious head injury (and as Steve King alluded to, minimise the risk of brain trauma as players hit the ice), then I'm all for that and why I commented on Rempel's initial observation.
I think the only twist I’d put on this is fighting in hockey though shouldn’t be for fan gratification, I think that is the staged fighting debate which is in fairness a nonsense and quite glad a lot of that is gone. However most fights are there for the players gratification to sort out a situation and if you know the game and the consequences of your actions by getting on the ice their is the argument you are taking personal responsibility for your safety and if you engage in a fight accepting the risk. The debate is if people in white collars have the right to take that away from players which the vast majority of players themselves don’t want to see.

I’m a player at heart not a fan. I see fighting as part of the fabric of the game. I’ve had a few scraps and in front of never more than a couple maybe 10s of people because I wanted to for different reasons in different situations. It’s a hard sell for me to accept a debate that looks to take fighting out of the game but I can take the fact I’m a dinosaur. However I fully agree in guys leaving the lids on. The best case scenario is always that you get the emotion out of your system swinging hay makers that don’t connect, someone feels shame and then you all just crack on with the game.

BostonBart22

Haddad has retired apparently which i cant get my head around, few weeks ago he is captain of the Rabbits, still got a lot to offer in ice hockey, maybe the decision to release him has burst his bubble and had enough, hopefully he sees sense and and reverse his decision to retire, far to good to be sat at home twiddling his thumbs.

terry hunt

This whole issue looks dodgy.
Lord praised up Joey plus he signed Fortier from the Storm after the EIHL series.Garret Thompson also looks weird his stats look good and he is not old.The age issue doesnt look right they have signed Reddick and a forward who is 36yrs old.
I know they have signed a group of youngsters but this doesnt look like Lord's style at all.

I'm probably late to the party on this, but another point regarding our players being vaccinated:

Pretty sure having non-jabbed players would be a logistical nightmare in terms of players having to isolate. E.g in August when Davies and Batchy tested positive the Government guidance was if you'd had your jabs, you didn't have to self isolate if you had been in close contact with a positive case (sharing a locker room is pretty close IMO).

From what I can remember, no one else on our roster missed games, leading me to believe all players are jabbed.

Not trying to say Haddad's reluctance to get jabbed is the reason for his suspension, just trying to provide more context on what EIHL protocol might be.

terry hunt

I must admit i liked Haddad as a player and also a bloke.
When my dogs were alive they used to sleep in the car during games but had good long walks before and after the game.
Pregame Joey used to do a warm up routine around the boardwalk and the dogs loved to see him.
A really friendly guy.

Mazzoak

This whole issue looks dodgy.
Lord praised up Joey plus he signed Fortier from the Storm after the EIHL series.Garret Thompson also looks weird his stats look good and he is not old.The age issue doesnt look right they have signed Reddick and a forward who is 36yrs old.
I know they have signed a group of youngsters but this doesnt look like Lord's style at all.
Your over estimating Lords position at Greenville, it’s not the Devils, his input won’t be anywhere near that......

terry hunt

When Lord took the job i remember the BS about supporting him to get success.
I thought he had a good season but who knows.One of the new signings this year has been a Todd Mackin as President but their website lists him on Hockey Ops.

moggy#9

It'll be interesting to see if lordo can avoid a sophomore slump. He undoubtedly benefited last season from having players that he knew well and who knew his systems. This year he's going to have to deal with new players, and returning coaches who now know his game. I hope he does well, but I don't think it'll be easy.

Mazzoak

They go through coaches quickly, l commented this when he left, only to be pointed out he’s the Messiah and would travel up the promo ladder to the NHL. Although far more experienced coaches haven’t. Part of me thinks he’ll be back fairly quickly, that this was a get it outta ya system punt, sometimes that itch needs to be scratched, being told it’ll bleed & get very painful isn’t enough, some need to experience the pain. The Covid situation and opportunity came together at the right time. Expect the second coming, Lord to return with a larger contact book of ex Greenville players into Cardiff.

Devil94

Andrew Lord promoted to GM/Head coach in Greenville.

“From the moment he joined this organization, Coach Lord began leading the Swamp Rabbits on and off the ice,” said Swamp Rabbits President Todd Mackin. “His record and success speak for themselves, but his behind-the-scenes efforts are what set him apart. This is the reward and recognition for Coach Lord’s tireless hours of dedication to this team and its fans.”

Familiar words. Congratulations to him, hopefully he can go all the way.

Kevlar68

Congrats but again why is this relevant to us now? It's not.
He was the most amazing coach for us yes but now he's moved on and so have we.

Last edited: