Guess why IAW cancelled junior hockey?

James

Administrator
Right. I've deleted some too and fro. Just another gentle reminder. Personal attacks are against the rules. We're all grown ups here. It would be nice if we could behave like them!

Tad-cu

Thread starter #22
Interesting that having the opportunity to host the Welsh international team ......

Really? It's not the Super Bowl, Olympics or the Ryder Cup.
Hardly a major event, household names and A list celebrities.

I'm not complaining about half a dozen little kids missing their game, every age group up to under 18s will lose a whole weeks ice time.

Finding the next Matthew Myers, Jason Stone or Chris Jones has to be important for the future of our club.

You wouldn't see a Premier League club close its academy for a week to put on such an event.

Milky

What a ridiculous post. As a passionate Devils fan I find this a narrow-minded viewpoint.

I don't follow Netball at all but have several friends that play at the very highest level. It may not be a major event to you but to a lot of people it is. Playing Devils advocate I'm sure they'd be saying exactly the same about Ice Hockey.

I hardly think missing 1 weeks worth of ice time will be detrimental to the development of these kids. Take them to the gym and do a S&C session or have a tactical chalkboard session.

The Devils get the rink for free, so obviously the rink needs to make money elsewhere. I hate to state the obvious but participation in ice sports isn't particularly lucrative in South Wales. So if free rent means this as a by product then we just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Poor comparison to Premier League Academy as well on so many points; multi million pound TV revenue, 10x the supporters we have, they own their grounds, million pound sponsorship deals......

KaneDevils

What a ridiculous post. As a passionate Devils fan I find this a narrow-minded viewpoint.

I don't follow Netball at all but have several friends that play at the very highest level. It may not be a major event to you but to a lot of people it is. Playing Devils advocate I'm sure they'd be saying exactly the same about Ice Hockey.

I hardly think missing 1 weeks worth of ice time will be detrimental to the development of these kids. Take them to the gym and do a S&C session or have a tactical chalkboard session.

The Devils get the rink for free, so obviously the rink needs to make money elsewhere. I hate to state the obvious but participation in ice sports isn't particularly lucrative in South Wales. So if free rent means this as a by product then we just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Poor comparison to Premier League Academy as well on so many points; multi million pound TV revenue, 10x the supporters we have, they own their grounds, million pound sponsorship deals......
A well constructed, sensible, and spot on comment. Maybe this thread has now reached its end?

Johnnybravo1927

I disagree with you. The income stream from the junior devils is a lot more than you would think. This is a vital regular income source for IAW and to be given 1 weeks notice is unacceptable. The juniors ( which my son is a part of) are missing 66% of their ice time the week before a game. Also realistically how are you going to acommodate 30 odd kids aged from 6-11 in a gym with a weeks notice?

Devil94

Great for the venue to get an international level sporting event. Hopefully all goes well and will be seeing more of these events in future.

youngbob

Matthew, Jason and Chris will have lost ice-time during their development days, my own son was in Juniors from 7 till he went to Uni, and it happened from time to time all through that period
I doubt that's what kept them all out the NHL, but Jonathon Phillips did at least get the consolation of becoming captain of the Squealers despite this disadvantage

Good luck to Netball Wales tonight and tomorrow night against New Zealand. I know one or two have got all hot and bothered about this but we should be helping other minority sports out as well. Tomorrow is sold out (+3000) and when I booked tickets for Eleanor and Rhianwen (she plays for Pel Rwyd Yr Urdd in Cardiff) I would guess fewer than 200 tickets were left. Having dropped them off tonight I wish I was a fly on the wall in IAW, 80% are 9-17 year old girls with money to spend at the cafe and all wanting to go to the toilets at half time. Hope they have made provision in the cafe.

Electro

Certainly looks like the crowd are enjoy the game.

Would be nice to get some basketball games in the IAW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diafol

Just watched a little bit of it.
Fair play the place does come across well on TV.

Agree that it would be good to see a basketball game there.
Hang on, I've just agreed with Electro.
I need a lie down after that...

Milky

I know one or two have got all hot and bothered about this but we should be helping other minority sports out as well. Tomorrow is sold out (+3000) .
Totally agree, some major over reactions about this. It seems to be a fantastic success so well done to them. So much for a sport that hardly anyone is interested in.:rolleyes:

This is exactly the type of thing the rink needs to be doing to help make it a viable concern and turn it around. If it makes a profit it becomes an attractive proposition for purchasers.

Oh and good luck Wales. Hope no one walks off during your anthem ;)

Milky

I disagree with you. The income stream from the junior devils is a lot more than you would think. This is a vital regular income source for IAW and to be given 1 weeks notice is unacceptable. The juniors ( which my son is a part of) are missing 66% of their ice time the week before a game. Also realistically how are you going to acommodate 30 odd kids aged from 6-11 in a gym with a weeks notice?
Good point though not unworkable. Split them into two groups of 15 and one does some intervals sprints outside whilst the other does gym work. You said 66% lost time so I'm guessing you have 3 sessions a week? if so you can flip it for the second session so those outside go in the gym and vice versa.

Not saying it's ideal but you could do something.

Sheincar

And don't forget some of the netball fans may not have realised there was an ice rink until these fixtures were arranged. what's to say some of them won't start coming to Devils' games.

El and Rhi back from the game. Seemed to very well apart from the score, the difference between 2nd and 8th ranked in the world is very substantial. Todd seemed to cope on the mike with kipper in charge of the scoreboard. Both were pretty sure the video presentation was a Sully production too.

Johnnybravo1927

And don't forget some of the netball fans may not have realised there was an ice rink until these fixtures were arranged. what's to say some of them won't start coming to Devils' games.
How does that work then, they are totally different sports. I visited a prison once but I dont fancy doing a 15 year stretch. Same principal