Goodbye Sheffield enter Field Electrical

Chris

Administrator
What the heck is going on here? :)

I don't think anyone has actually linked to the Stir's article, so do I still need to delete this whole thread? Do we want to start over? :)

Chris.

Haha, sorry. I deleted my post as I saw it was a Star article. Anyway, I'll reply now! :lol: And it is August the 10th. I meant it was a bit late for the Star, as I add at the bottom of this...

"We are known as the Steelers - that is the brand."
How true. Who says "We're playing Sheffield this week?" Apart from imports who refer to the city or small town near Derby, in Nottingham's case, most people refer to the Devils, Giants, Blaze, Steelers.

I think it's a good idea bearing in mind we may only have 2 more seasons left in Sheffield. And as I said on the other thread about this, the Panthers have been the GMB Panthers for years now.

Plus, how late does Westerdale want to put that interview/ article in the Star? It's a week since that was announced.

To be honest, I'm not even that fussed on the whole use of second names for sports teams like Steelers, Giants, Blaze etc copying the Americans (I assume it's them who started it). But to go one step further and not include a place name at all is ridiculous. Pity they weren't sponsored by a company called Dirty Cheating....

Was trying to think of examples of this in other sports and realised I actually support 2 teams who don't have reference to where they are from / play... Scarlets and Celtic Crusaders! Still think it's stupid though.

James

Administrator
Chris said:
I'd be more concerned about how shifty looking Mike O'Connor looks...

Chris.
At least he isn't squashed flat like all the photos of him (and everyone else) on the Steelers site.

"Show us on the map where 'Field Electricals' is"

Holl_5 said:
How true. Who says "We're playing Sheffield this week?" Apart from imports who refer to the city or small town near Derby, in Nottingham's case, most people refer to the Devils, Giants, Blaze, Steelers.

I think it's a good idea bearing in mind we may only have 2 more seasons left in Sheffield. And as I said on the other thread about this, the Panthers have been the GMB Panthers for years now.

Plus, how late does Westerdale want to put that interview/ article in the Star? It's a week since that was announced.
To people who are in to ice hockey i just call them the devils but to anyone else its usually the cardiff devils, thats who they are and who they always should be. I would be very disappointed to lose cardiff from the name. Its just who they are.

ASHIPP

So a statement has been released today from the Steelers organisation confirming the re-instatement of 'Sheffield' in their name and explaining the situation with the council/move to Rotherham to the fans.

I'm glad the fans are happy that the club will be called 'the Sheffield Steelers' once more but they are hailing Bob Philips as some sort of hero! Must have gone all delusional with the start of the season coming up! Someone is thanking him and O'Connor for 'uniting the fan base after a very slow off-season, the organisation quietly going about its business'. :lol: (it hasn't united everyone because there are still differences and divisions on Steeltalk)
HELLO? A quiet off-season? How many of last year's key players have left? How many 'will he sign, won't he sign' stories have the masses been fed (Ling, Koening, Bolibruck etc)? The Steelers have possibly had more column inches and media announcements and hype than any other team this Summer! It's all utter spin. :roll:
Sorry - that's my Monday morning moan :lol:

ASHIPP said:
Someone is thanking him and O'Connor for 'uniting the fan base after a very slow off-season, the organisation quietly going about its business'. :lol: (it hasn't united everyone because there are still differences and divisions on Steeltalk)
HELLO? A quiet off-season? How many of last year's key players have left? How many 'will he sign, won't he sign' stories have the masses been fed (Ling, Koening, Bolibruck etc)? The Steelers have possibly had more column inches and media announcements and hype than any other team this Summer!
It's still been a relatively quiet off season though IMO. With so many re-signings it doesn't get you as excited for the start of the season as bringing in 6 new imports. Having tracked that Ling 'rumour' it appears that the only person to actually rumour it was a very unreliable poster, whose unreliability was soon found out. Only Reiter, Morgan, Bolibruck and Hutchins are new, and 2 of them have already worn our colours before. Also we know what to expect from Reiter and Hutchins, whereas there's that new unpredictability with new players to the league like Michel, Romfo and to some extent Miller. It's hardly 'ex-NHL' excitement, or 'check out this new AHL D-Man' (Steve Munn). In fact, I would go as far as saying we've had two successive quiet off seasons. We've not had any big name, exciting forwards like Smith, Deniset or Mann since Tessier left, and most people don't get excited about good, stay at home defencemen (apart from me! :lol:)

At least with the Devils signings this summer there's something to get excited about and discuss, whereas Steeltalk has been extremely quiet this summer, apart from the fuss over the name change. Steeltalk went nearly a week without a new topic! Just because the Star has written lots of non-stories doesn't necessarily mean there's plenty going on, or a busy off-season. With the majority of the team signed up in the first couple of weeks, apart from Hutchins, we have been drip fed most news. There's nothing like a bit of 'bad' news to get the fans talking, and there's probably as many posts on that name change thread as have been posted over the entire summer on the other threads!

I do think there's a subdued atmosphere from the Steelers fans, but then we had that at the start of last season and look how that turned out! Another solid team without anything to get excited about.

Essay over for a Monday morning. :lol: