Goodbye Bownsy??

Justtw

Thread starter #61
NOW THAT! WAS A FANTASTIC GAME!!

God we looked competitive!
The USA team skated circles around us, outpassed us, outshot us and we just kept working and working!

So proud, honestly.

What a dramatic difference in play compared to that Denmark game.

We’ll be waving Bownsy goodbye to a high European league team after seeing that performance. My god.

RTfarty

So proud of Team GB for that performance. A heroic bounce back after yesterday’s loss and a performance full of heart and determination. They proved that we deserve to be on that ice today, and so wonderful to see Bowns get recognition from the USA team at the end when collecting his player of the game award. 59 saves against NHL players, unreal. The fans never stopped either and the TSN commentators couldn’t believe the noise and enthusiasm they brought. Brilliant stuff.

kingmo19.1

So proud of Team GB for that performance. A heroic bounce back after yesterday’s loss and a performance full of heart and determination. They proved that we deserve to be on that ice today, and so wonderful to see Bowns get recognition from the USA team at the end when collecting his player of the game award. 59 saves against NHL players, unreal. The fans never stopped either and the TSN commentators couldn’t believe the noise and enthusiasm they brought. Brilliant stuff.
That’s a 90.76 % save average if my maths serves me right! Not too shabby!

Diablo3

Now that was a response! What a team effort, they were all superb, Davies, Dowd, Richardson, Myers, Mosey had great games again, but OMG Bownsy what a save. If teams weren't sure before , they will be after that.

Last edited:

Devils86

My Twitter feed is full of GIFs and clips of ridiculous Bownsy saves.

I had selfishly hoped that a few big defeats would mean he’d drop back under the radar of the circling clubs.

Clearly won’t happen now. If he signs with us for next year...I’ll be flabbergasted. He deserves a big move and good luck to him.

But selfishly: damn!

ASHIPP

We always knew Bownsy was excellent. Against the best you raise your game to be the best you can be and he was simply outstanding last night. The American players were patting him in the handshakes and showing their appreciation of that performance.

You can bet that many, many coaches watching that performance will be wanting to find out more about this talented goalie. His agent could be busy. Will be gobsmacked if Ben is with us next season.

Devilsatw

Apparently Bowns has asked the devils to wait before offering him a new contract.

He is hoping for a high end offer from a top league and if it doesn’t work out he will sign for us.

I can’t say I’m surprised because once again he’s playing amazing v Finland. 0-0 end of the 1st

Imp

Apparently Bowns has asked the devils to wait before offering him a new contract.
And which has likely been the position from the moment GB qualified for World’s. I like that Devils are realistic about their place in the hockey pyramid, realistic about players wanting to push themselves at the next level, and positive when those opportunities come along.

There’s likely very little they can do about it anyway, but not burning bridges probably serves Devils well in the long term. Even if all it does is demonstrate that they are thinking long term.

Weird feeling as a fan though, wanting players to be ‘too good for us’.

Flip side: if Bownsy doesn’t get a decent opportunity, what an advert for other players to sign...

Mooney#16

The best thing Devils ever did was invest in Bownsy. Being known as a team that will invest in its players is a huge boost in reputation and recruitment tool. I hope Bownsy does progress. It’s a huge boost in the arm for GB hockey to have the EIHL seen as a development league for GB players in their careers.

I just hope a player such as Duggan with huge potential is given the same level of club backing in an out skater capacity. Do that and the best GB junior talent will be desperate to get into Cardiff’s system and the club will have seamless succession for years to come.

Kevlar68

I like the fact that the Devils organisation want to advance players on to their full potential but lets not forget at some point the team will need a re-build without being at the level we are now if to many players move on, that time will come as in all team sports.