Goodbye Bownsy??

Justtw

Thread starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is starting to get a bit nervous whether Bownsy will return to us next season after he's playing some absolutely incredible hockey in World Championships.

In two game he has faced 86 shots, making 75 saves giving him a 87.21% save percentage.

Not only are there are plenty of scouts at IIHF but he's gaining quite a following on twitter and from other countries ice hockey news organisations.

I would HATE to lose such a fantastic player and character, that being said I will honestly not be surprised if he is offered a contract with a bigger team based on his track record and how he is currently playing.

I would also hate to remind everyone of the shtick him and his loved ones received from some of fellow so called "fans" last season which in all honestly would put me off returning.

Fingers crossed I guess.

Diablo3

His profile on Elite Prospects has had 1500 views in the last week. I would not be surprised to hear he has had an offer, I just hope we keep him.

RTfarty

I wouldn't begrudge him one bit for taking the opportunity should one of the big boys of Europe/North America come knocking. It's not a long career, nor a lucrative one if you stay in the Elite League, and the experience he could bring back to aid the future development of British netminders would be invaluable should he be successful.

Justtw

Thread starter #5
I wouldn't begrudge him one bit for taking the opportunity should one of the big boys of Europe/North America come knocking. It's not a long career, nor a lucrative one if you stay in the Elite League, and the experience he could bring back to aid the future development of British netminders would be invaluable should he be successful.
Totally agree, as selfishly as it would be of me to want him to stay with us. I'd love to see him more somewhere to progress more and give British Ice Hockey a better name.

Koop11

Looking at it from a bigger perspective, Bowns’ impressive performances at the Worlds is massive for him on a personal level but also for UK hockey as a whole. If he is offered an opportunity to good to turn down then he should absolutely take it. He is still relatively young in terms of his hockey career and now is probably the right time for him. If he stays/has already signed for the Devils then that is great, for us fans but I would hope his loyalties are not something he might regret one day.

d20

If Bownsy goes you can guarantee 100 % the owners will tell him to take the chance but not to worry as if it doesnt work out he can come back ,our owners are superb if a big move comes id like to think he'll take it itll be good for him and british hockey

I would be surprised if he has not already signed, BUT if someone comes in with an offer, ‘he can’t refuse’ then he should go, the owners would not stand in his way. Would he count as an import in Europe? Whatever happens, good luck to him, he is a top lad.

august04

If he doesn’t go to a better league after this summer, then he probably never will - given the level of exposure he’s getting now at the World Championships. That’s what happens when we’re competing against the best in the top tier. If we get relegated, the level of interest in future tournaments will never match what’s going on right now. He’s obviously settled here though, so he may not have that real ambition to go anywhere else, who knows. We’re all different, some more ambitious than others and who’s to say what’s right and wrong. Either way, I’d be happy. Pleased for him if he gets picked up by a better team on a lot more money and in a stronger league but also happy to have him back in Cardiff too if that’s what he decides.

tim78

Well if you get offered an NHL contract, you'd probably could upgrade your wedding plans 8).

For me I'd only want to see him here or NHL/farm team, he's a big part of the Elite League and hopefully GB can stay up and the elite league can continue to be sustainable at this level.

Looking forward to seeing how the new league gets on and if it can help develop more players.

Kevlar68

There are always more factors to a move than just money and opportunity, personal circumstances also play a big part in any move.

ASHIPP

Ben's 'window of other opportunity' is fast approaching. And we should accept that. He is doing a fine job showcasing his excellent skills at the Worlds. If he gets an offer/opportunity he can't turn down, no-one would begrudge him that. He deserves it.

Obviously hope he remains a pivotal player for the Devils for a long, long time. But golden opportunities rarely come along.

voth26

Being selfish and hoping Ben stays with the Devil's and if he does it would be a massive morale boosting re-signing if Ben returned, however I would totally understand and want him to go if a big offer comes in for him after the way he's played in the EIHL and CHL and the World's tournaments so far id be amazed if he doesn't receive any offers!!, I'll be honest it would be strange to see a different Nettie in goals for us after all these years!!.. As Lordo has said previously they won't stand in any players way if a move to a bigger club or league comes there way so I think Lordo has plan B up his sleeve if in fact Ben does move?

Gaz G

If he does move, fair play to him. He deserves it, worked his bag off for us and taken a lot of abuse for it at times.

Mad dog to then be our number one nettie