Goals conceded!!

Thread starter #1
Yes it’s early we changing it up and trying a few different things.
But bloody hell we are conceding tooo many!! 17 in less than 4 games is wayyyyy to much.

Chl only 11 days away.

And Louis Fournier Richardson batch reddick were all here last season no excuses.

RedDevil17

Yes it’s early we changing it up and trying a few different things.
But bloody hell we are conceding tooo many!! 17 in less than 4 games is wayyyyy to much.

Chl only 11 days away.

And Louis Fournier Richardson batch reddick were all here last season no excuses.
Hmm i think you're being a little bit too harsh but at the same time i can see where you're coming from. Attacking wise we looked great tonight, Dixon, Martin and Hedden all stood out. Our defence wasn't really as good tonight either. Fournier made lots of unforced errors, Reddick was once again chasing shadows like the beginning of last year. However, you can't just blame it all on the defence. Bowns was at fault for a few goals too. Don't forget we've just signed Parisi so he'll strengthen the back line up. Bowns had a nightmare tonight as I previously mentioned and he would want a few goals back for sure.

The counter argument is we went up against a very good poprad side who had lots of skill and physicality to match. Good effort tonight and one the team can take a lot of pride from for fighting back. Blood looked composed on the puck and Batch had a great game, made himself a pain in the ass in front of the goal with the goalie screen and landed some huge hits, I’d like to have seen that last season when he was fit though but he had a good game nonetheless. I’d personally have Parisi and Batch at the back and drop Reddick as the spare which would allow us to ice all of our import forwards.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Bowns was very good yesterday, yes he made a couple of mistake today & Poprad scored from them but over both games I’d say he was pretty solid. Considering the speed & skill of Poprad plus the time the Devils spent defending the goals conceded in both games could have been quite a bit more.

august04

We all know Bowns is a great goalie but everyone has an off night from time to time and it was clear to me after the third went in that he just wasn’t seeing it tonight. That happens but that’s why you need a good back up. We have one and I was surprised that Murdy wasn’t brought it into the game. I missed last nights game and by all accounts it was very good. The first two periods weren’t great tonight, not helped by some over fussy officiating, but the Devils came back well in the third. I’m looking forward to seeing Parisi play, we need him to provide some offence from the back end and make up for losing Hotham. I must say I’m slightly concerned defensively - I just think it will be almost impossible to replace what Strachan gave us last year. Too early to judge the new guys but Blood looks a very good skater for a big guy and I hope we can utilise Batch’s physicality more this year. His running battle that one shift near the end changed the momentum completely and gave us the goal which almost saw us get something out of that game tonight.

Slartibartfast

There is no shame in that loss. Poprad are very sharp and will punish a mistake very quickly. Yes Bowns did not have his best game but one that some may blame Bowns for was a mistake from Rutkiss. Another Devils players shouted to him because he had left his player unmarked. Rutkiss responded quickly but it was too late, the Poprad guy stepped into the open slot and put a slapshot into the net. Rutkiss will learn from it though (even the veterans make mistakes).
I think Reddick has played fine in all the games. I like the edge he plays with.
Im not particularly worried about the goals against. Its still early so mistakes are to be expected and against good opposition they will be punished.
The only downside for me tonight was the refereeing. Although it was balanced, they called everything. It kills the flow of a game. I hope this is not going to be another zero tolerance season.
The highlight of the game for me was Batchs battle in front of goal. It was a classic and led to that fourth goal. The crowd loved it. Interestingly the ref was just about to call a penalty on both of them when the puck went in.

Last edited:

Devils86

Spot on Slartibartfast. The performances will come with time. We looked better this weekend than we did against the Panthers and I’d expect further improvement against the Blaze next weekend. Reducing the goals conceded will be a part of that.

Officials-wise it’s a tough one: the flare ups and the tension make great entertainment, but at the same time when blatant calls are missed it’s frustrating. Tough to find a balance.

Foxy

Spot on Slartibartfast. The performances will come with time. We looked better this weekend than we did against the Panthers and I’d expect further improvement against the Blaze next weekend. Reducing the goals conceded will be a part of that.

Officials-wise it’s a tough one: the flare ups and the tension make great entertainment, but at the same time when blatant calls are missed it’s frustrating. Tough to find a balance.
I think the d though has more of an adjustment to make. Where the core of our forwards have returned we have lost two key players in Hotham and Strachan. Blood seems to be settling Parisi is here but yet to play and Batch And Moore have been covering d. Once we get the lines settled I think we’ll be fine.

As for officials. Considering they have all been on the same ref course I don’t understand how 2 games can be called so differently. Last nights game flowed and niggly things not called. Tonight everything was called. I prefer the first personally

I think this game was supposed to be a warm up game for the chl, from the style of game called by the refs and even the inclusion of power breaks into the periods.

Plenty of pre season passing from us, looked a little sloppy at times especially when trying to play our way out of danger instead of lifting the puck out.

Both teams still look a little early and both games were entertaining at times we just need to get sharpness/lungs quickly before our chl adventure begins.

jimmy snels

i thought bowns was clearly at fault for 3 of the goals. he would save all 3 on a normal night. That was the difference for me and defensive wise its not like we were awful. As someone said previously he probably shouldhave been pulled but in a friendly is it better to ride it out? im not a pro I'll leave that decision to lordo

Kevlar68

Not comparing the sports but perfect example of friendlies not being an indicator of the season to come. Man Utd, 1993, in pre-season friendlies lost 3, drew 1, won the premiership after that.