• YES

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • NO

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

matbur

I can't stand Status Quo but like our goal song just because, well it's our goal song! I'd rather not take up another team's song particularly the Rangers one as someone mentioned! :D Everyone will have a different idea about the goal song, I think for the sake of superstition alone we should be keeping our current one!!

One song I would LOVE to see at the Devils though, is 'Blood On The Ice' by the Riverdales, just an awesome Ramones-esque fight song for when the gloves are dropped. Look it up @Paul Sullivan!

I can't stand Status Quo but like our goal song just because, well it's our goal song! I'd rather not take up another team's song particularly the Rangers one as someone mentioned! :D Everyone will have a different idea about the goal song, I think for the sake of superstition alone we should be keeping our current one!!

One song I would LOVE to see at the Devils though, is 'Blood On The Ice' by the Riverdales, just an awesome Ramones-esque fight song for when the gloves are dropped. Look it up @Paul Sullivan!
You Just mentioned a good one - why not The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop. Everyone knows the "Hey Ho - Let's Go", although it is used everywhere nowadays.

I don't have any strong feelings either way about the goal song. I would however miss 'we're gonna win' played in the last break in play as I don't recall hearing that nearly as much at the latter end of last season?
It was a guaranteed way to get the fans to their feet and vocal/clapping during the last couple of mins. When it wasn't played it was a much quieter end to a game and I felt we we missed it.

Please let's keep this!

Let Paul decide by all means but we can discuss what we think is the best etc!!

By saying let Paul discuss means you want to close the thread.

This forum at times is unreal we can't even express our opinions or views with outpeople having a go or a little dig...
express yes, but whatever is chosen will not satisfy all so just go with the flow

Wannabe2

i can't put into words how much I dislike (HATE!!!) the steeler's goal song...
They don't come any worse, thats a dead cert. There's one good thing to always remember, whatever Steelers do, then do the opposite, as for Woosh, Woosh it's behind you, they came down with a bump when they realised Woosh, Woosh there in front of us. Get used to it Orangeville,the Red Army are coming for you again.

Paul does a superb job running match night. Gaz, Aled and myself are privileged being up in the gantry seeing the hard work that goes in.

However, if I could twist his arm (and i'd be in a group of 1) i'd love to have the old Hartford Whalers/Wembley/Durham Wasps Brass Bonanza for our goal music.

It brings back so many happy memories that i'm sad enough to have it as my phone music!

Paul Sullivan

Great thread. Thanks for all the input guys. We had Song 2 for quite a while, and though it's good, for some reason the fans never really got into that beat or song, they were just celebrating the goal (fair enough of course).

The Quo song was originally suggested to me in 2002 by Callum's grandfather, Bill Buglass. He's a Quo fanatic. It worked incredibly well as a pump up song so when we were looking for a new Goal song, it seemed a logical choice.

I think the bpm and general feel of it do work well and from what we see up in the Crow's nest when we score, the fans seem to have the beat nailed. Also, the lyrics of 'All stand up' do make sense following a goal. I do try and put the magnifying glass on all aspects of the match night and music every year. For me the challenge is to keep a percentage turning over and fresh, whilst also having some traditions. We've tried some things that epically failed (the Bro Hymn goal music, as mentioned - much loved in the NHL, total flop in the tent!) and some that have been well received (The Buble intro, for example).

I also love Brazz Bonanza, but I do feel in the arena / modern era, it lacks a bit of, well, cojones, presentation wise.

There's no current plans to change the goal music but it's always something we look at. Maybe we could look at it for Challenge Cup games as a trial, see how it goes. But any poll / thread will always have subjective views on whether something is good / cool etc.

My favourite thing about our current goal music, from a match night presentation perspective, other than that it's a good fit of a song, is that the edit almost always perfectly ends as the ref drops the puck for the re-start, which is magic in terms of timing. I hat fade-outs on goal songs, and for me any new goal music would need to fit that criteria as (and you may not have noticed this of course as I'm a timings nerd) that fitting into that re-start is golden.

I'll carry on reading with interest though, keep the ideas coming please.

matbur

I never knew you played Bro Hymn, that would've been cool but just not really a song most people would know or identify with - it's stuck with the Ducks but that's because Pennywise are from that area.

It's a tough job trying to cater to all tastes and styles but I think you do a pretty good job. I'm glad you recognise that there's gotta be a balance between keeping this fresh whilst also maintain tradition - that's purely why I think we should keep the Status Quo song.

I'd personally like to hear more organ stuff - I love the traditional hockey organ pieces and don't feel we use them enough. Perhaps one would be good when the opposition score?

Anyway, I generally enjoy the music played on gameday's and it's clear you put some thought into rather than just playing any old stuff. Keep up the good work! :)

I never knew you played Bro Hymn, that would've been cool but just not really a song most people would know or identify with - it's stuck with the Ducks but that's because Pennywise are from that area.
I love Pennywise, but I don't feel it works very well for a goal song to be honest. I think the Quo song we have now works really well especially as Sully said- it ends dead on time ready for the puck drop!

Paul Sullivan

I love Pennywise, but I don't feel it works very well for a goal song to be honest. I think the Quo song we have now works really well especially as Sully said- it ends dead on time ready for the puck drop!
Yeah some things just don't take off. That one really bombed :D I mean it wasn't up there with Ice speedway in a period break, but it wasn't good...

Leighton

i love the "buble / dong... dong... dong.... / nickleback / don't know who the last bit is" opening music.

incidentally, what song is that last section @Paul Sullivan after Todd's "its Saturday night in beautiful Cardiff bay....." need to get that on my Spotify playlist.

Paul Sullivan

i love the "buble / dong... dong... dong.... / nickleback / don't know who the last bit is" opening music.

incidentally, what song is that last section @Paul Sullivan after Todd's "its Saturday night in beautiful Cardiff bay....." need to get that on my Spotify playlist.
'Hell Yeah' by Rev theory.

Couple of years ago I saw it used at a Redwings game on TV late one night and loved it. Next visit to the rink I went to see Corky, who said, 'you've gotta hear this awesome song!' - and promptly played me the same section of the Detroit game I'd seen. It was in the next season. They've got a couple of great tracks.