Giants Vs Devils - Play-Off Final - 1st May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.D.S.

Whilst Premier Sports has camera work to rival our own what I do like about them is the incredible decision to mike up the refs knowing full well the players and refs swear their asses off!! They don’t even apologise for the language. Brilliant!

E.D.S.

Recorded it and watched it again on free sports today. Not sure if highlights will appear soon. Wouldn’t surprise me if the league have now closed down for the summer. Their shocking updates on the Elite League website would suggest they’ve left the work experience in charge.

Wannabe2

Whilst Premier Sports has camera work to rival our own what I do like about them is the incredible decision to mike up the refs knowing full well the players and refs swear their asses off!! They don’t even apologise for the language. Brilliant!
But why would you Mike a ref, then have commentators talking over them, that Murphy is a dick and just loves the sound of his own voice, he can only say pitter bloody patter, total crap. Then that girl with that horrendous voice has a Mike that don’t work, and has to have her question wrote down as it contains more than two words. A cameraman with two eyes would obviously help, and a director under the age of 104 might be an advantage.

Hedd Wyn John

But why would you Mike a ref, then have commentators talking over them, that Murphy is a dick and just loves the sound of his own voice, he can only say pitter bloody patter, total crap. Then that girl with that horrendous voice has a Mike that don’t work, and has to have her question wrote down as it contains more than two words. A cameraman with two eyes would obviously help, and a director under the age of 104 might be an advantage.
It's not just the camera it's also the director. We almost missed a goal because the director picked one camera that was looking in the wrong direction while another camera was spot on.

Out with all the insults again wannabe, you really are a piece of work.
Are these the type of views you hold in everyday life?
I hope the young woman doesn’t read the shit you write for the good of her confidence and mental health.

Kevlar68

I understand that all reporters need to start somewhere but having the female reporter who obviously was trying her best but not doing a great job wasn't the right choice once again for a showpiece event.
You needed someone more experienced who can ask questions of the game they just watched without referring to a phone and with a less monotoned and more enthusiastic voice.
My girlfriend and I both commented on her reporting style, it didn't hold your attention or build excitement.
I'm sure she will improve over time.

Last edited:

moggy#9

There thing is this isn't a professional reporter. If you look at former players, they'll potentially have had some exposure to how media works and maybe training on giving interviews. For people who have gone down the journalism route then they'll have had extensive practice at being in front of the camera.

I can't imagine that there's a massive pool of people with both media training and hockey knowledge. For me she's doing a good job under difficult circumstances. We can all improve at what we do with some coaching.

The premier sports coverage is clearly done on a shoe string. Personally, in more concerned about the abysmal camera work and poor direction.

Hedd Wyn John

I understand that all reporters need to start somewhere but having the female reporter who obviously was trying her best but not doing a great job wasn't the right choice once again for a showpiece event.
You needed someone more experienced who can ask questions of the game they just watched without referring to a phone and with a less monotoned and more enthusiastic voice.
My girlfriend and I both commented on her reporting style, it didn't hold your attention or build excitement.
I'm sure she will improve over time.
There's basic things like

put a teleprompter On the camera so the reporter can look at the camera and read her lines rather than look down at her phone

Kevlar68

I'm not being funny here but she had about 2 or 3 questions to ask, if that when at the bench with maybe 1 minute of air time and you need a phone to remember questions?

moggy#9

There's basic things like

put a teleprompter On the camera so the reporter can look at the camera and read her lines rather than look down at her phone
Whenever I've seen a reporter out in the field they've not had the options of auto cue. My understanding is that it's quite bulky. Even one the main news you'll see reporters referring to notes on their phones.

moggy#9

I'm not being funny here but she had about 2 or 3 questions to ask, if that when at the bench with maybe 1 minute of air time and you need a phone to remember questions?
It must be very nerve-wracking in that situation. If I were doing it I might forget what I was going to say.

The only faults I can find are the camera begging set up too high, and so she looks like she's craning her neck (not her fault), and the lack of inflection in her voice, which will come with confidence.

I'm actually not a fan of the in game interviews. I think they're intrusive and only ever get bland responses to questions. I'd much prefer occasional interactions with the main commentators, and discussions in the period breaks. She has hockey knowledge, she should be allowed to use it.

Diafol

It's her delivery for me. It's dreadful.
I get that Caitlin is a knowledgeable hockey person etc but she doesn't come across well on camera at all.
Trying to be constructive here as I appreciate it's difficult when you're starting out, but surely Murph or someone at Premier could give her some advice / coaching ?

Talking of cameras, it would help if they could use the zoom function next time so we could actually see what's going on.
It must be a Nottingham thing, the Panthers webcasts / highlights are exactly the same.

That’s fair comment Kev but Glynne needs to have a look at yours and moggys comments above and critique in a better manner.
Saying ‘that girl with the horrendous voice and hasn’t got the intelligence to remember more than two words’ isn’t good enough
I’ve obviously paraphrased the above with all the other insults to Murphy and the cameraman plus other posts I’ve called you up on it makes me think that maybe you’re not a very nice person.
Which is odd because I’ve always imagined you as a decent guy.

pjj365

TBF there are only so many questions that can be asked mid game and any idiot can come up with them. That's not a criticism of the interview but a recognition of the reality - there is no opportunity for the interviewer to develop the interview
Similarly Caitlin, like the rest of us, could script the answers in advance
That's why I'm with moggy#9 - I'm not a fan of in game interviews
With such limited exposure and the predictability it is unfair to judge

Here we go again, mysogeny, personal insults, character assassination, ageism, sexism ……. they all seem to be your default setting.
A word of advice, it’s up to you Wannabe2 but you need to read what you write before you post because a good deal of it is offensive!
It’s not the first time, in fact you’re a bit of a serial offender!
It’s not the 1970’s.

If you’re going to critique someone‘s performance on a public forum try a little objectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.