Giants Vs Devils - Play-Off Final - 1st May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe2

That final yesterday was the best game I have seen for a long long time, it was edge of seat, amazingly exciting emotionally untrue, and a great advert for this incredible sport. Two teams of gladiators going out there and giving it their all for their shirt, ThankYou lads all of you fantastic game, pity the coverage didn’t give it the credit it deserved. But what a final.

Thank you kettdevil but I have actually seen that report and am not sure what’s "Wales-centric" about it. The author is Nigel Ringland who is Sports Reporter at BBC Sport NI. if that is indeed the report Earnie is referring to then it’s not correct to say it’s a BBC Wales report on the final. Given who wrote it, it’s hardly surprising that’s it’s so biased.

kettdevil1

Thank you kettdevil but I have actually seen that report and am not sure what’s "Wales-centric" about it. The author is Nigel Ringland who is Sports Reporter at BBC Sport NI. if that is indeed the report Earnie is referring to then it’s not correct to say it’s a BBC Wales report on the final. Given who wrote it, it’s hardly surprising that’s it’s so biased.
Have you clicked the link :) ..... it's the celebrations and a video of interviews with various Cardiff luminaries so..... Wales-centric I would argue.

I think the article you were referring to is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/61288181

Originally the plan was to have a Wales based report as well as the NI one but that changed shortly before the final and Nigel's became the article of record. Not sure why this happened but the video is at least a good celebration

voth26

I thought we played a strong, physical game and deserved to win that final. Carruth was excellent again, as were the whole team really. Who knows how many will be back and who will be coaching, but DuPont seems to be very popular with the players and I’m pleased for him after a tough year. Obviously Mac is going and it would appear that Mikkelson has played his last pro game given his comment to the ref after he got thrown out. A difficult year but we've ended up with a trophy and we should all be proud of that.
It was good to hear Register saying to the ref you can't kick him out and let him miss the celebration, you could clearly hear the ref say he can come back on for that just need him to calm down common sense prevailed

jenks33

I couldn't stand his father as a player, junior is clearly cut from the same cloth.
Somebody else mentioned Kevin Conway yesterday. (Apologies I can’t remember who it was) did he have a reputation of not being the nicest guy off the ice? That’s all I remember about him is banging in goals for Basingstoke and I’m sure he had a season with Newcastle when they were the Riverkings.

Wannabe2

Somebody else mentioned Kevin Conway yesterday. (Apologies I can’t remember who it was) did he have a reputation of not being the nicest guy off the ice? That’s all I remember about him is banging in goals for Basingstoke and I’m sure he had a season with Newcastle when they were the Riverkings.
98/99 season Newcastle Riverkings.

Have you clicked the link :) ..... it's the celebrations and a video of interviews with various Cardiff luminaries so..... Wales-centric I would argue.

I think the article you were referring to is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/61288181

Originally the plan was to have a Wales based report as well as the NI one but that changed shortly before the final and Nigel's became the article of record. Not sure why this happened but the video is at least a good celebration
Thank you again kett. To be clear, I was speaking only of the report (or article as you refer to it above) when I said I was not sure what’s Wales-centric about it. I have previously seen the videos but thank you anyway for providing the link. It is still not clear though that this is the "report" Earnie was referencing although it would seem very likely. I’m not sure how you know it unless you work for the BBC in some capacity but if what you say in your penultimate sentence is correct then, in my opinion, the BBC should have ensured that the ‘article of record’ was not as hideously biased as this.

moggy#9

I had a deep dislike for him from his time in Telford and his association with Tim salmon. There always seemed to be a level of arrogance about him. I'm willing to accept that might be about my personal bias though.

kettdevil1

Thank you again kett. To be clear, I was speaking only of the report (or article as you refer to it above) when I said I was not sure what’s Wales-centric about it. I have previously seen the videos but thank you anyway for providing the link. It is still not clear though that this is the "report" Earnie was referencing although it would seem very likely. I’m not sure how you know it unless you work for the BBC in some capacity but if what you say in your penultimate sentence is correct then, in my opinion, the BBC should have ensured that the ‘article of record’ was not as hideously biased as this.
Thank you BB and would agree - I am never keen on these one-eyed reports. I freelance for many organisations and do match reports which (I hope....) are even handed. I was not needed for this event as the Northern Irish report was circulated to all regions.

To be fair, it is a really difficult balancing act as the expectation is that there is a slant towards the region (or team) that the website is focused on so I completely understand the pressures the writer was under but we could have avoided any problems by either having two (Welsh/NI) reports or alternatively a factual report.

august04 2.0

I had a deep dislike for him from his time in Telford and his association with Tim salmon. There always seemed to be a level of arrogance about him. I'm willing to accept that might be about my personal bias though.
They were one hell of a scoring combination, with a bit of nastiness thrown in there too, particularly Salmon. Our first real rivalry I suppose, some cracking games between the Devils and Telford back then. Conway was a decent player.

As I missed the final on Premier Sports on Sunday. I made a point of keeping off the inferno forum so I had no "spoiler" info.
I watched on FreeSports today like a "live broadcast"
What a great game to watch. A really good advert for the game. The Devil's physicality which has been lacking in a lot of games during the season, was there again, just like in seasons past.
What a game, what a team, what a win.
What a trophy. Well done to all concerned.
A fitting and deserved ending to the season.

Wannabe2

Spot on Corny, it was a truly amazing game to witness, best game for a long long time, and a very good atmosphere despite all the crap that’s been flying around. It was a real shame to see so many empty seats, but the fans that were there were truly noisy. It was such a good weekend and a great shame it priced some people out, and hopefully that will be rectified next season, as fans most certainly deserve to be treated and respected better. But our team left everything out on the ice, as did Giants also. We all knew that when our team play as they can play, they can beat anyone and they deserved this big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.