Giants Vs Devils - Challenge Cup Final - 16th March 22

moggy#9

Yeah it’s a shame. This would be a great contest with two full strength rosters but 4 Dmen kills us. Playing half the game in Belfast with only 4D would be tough but we’ve got to play 60 minutes with only 4 D! Carruth is going to have to play the game of his life and we’re going to have to be so clinical with our chances.
What good does it do the league when you have a show piece final marred by a short bench in the same week as a game is called off because Glasgow can't raise a side?

I wonder what sort of a joke the playoffs will be off injuries mount up. This season is becoming an utter lottery.

I don't want to sound like 'the voice of reason' or a Happy-Clapper, but Skalde absolutely knows what he's doing and there are some serial winners on our roster. Couple this to the fact that we are the away side and the result is all that matters [I.E.We're not there to entertain], I can see us playing a team-defence road game type approach where we look to do to Belfast what the so called rink-teams do when they come to Cardiff. Pack the neutral zone, get themselves into the shooting lanes and block shots for their lives. Ultimately looking to catch the opposition on the breakaway.

I agree that if we go out and play gung-ho traditional EIHL (since 2014) Cardiff Devils hockey we will most likely get found out, particularly with 4D. But if we keep it tight, we have guys who can put away breakaways and it could easily still be our night.

Lets Go Devils!

jenks33

I don't want to sound like 'the voice of reason' or a Happy-Clapper, but Skalde absolutely knows what he's doing and there are some serial winners on our roster. Couple this to the fact that we are the away side and the result is all that matters [I.E.We're not there to entertain], I can see us playing a team-defence road game type approach where we look to do to Belfast what the so called rink-teams do when they come to Cardiff. Pack the neutral zone, get themselves into the shooting lanes and block shots for their lives. Ultimately looking to catch the opposition on the breakaway.

I agree that if we go out and play gung-ho traditional EIHL (since 2014) Cardiff Devils hockey we will most likely get found out, particularly with 4D. But if we keep it tight, we have guys who can put away breakaways and it could easily still be our night.

Lets Go Devils!
Certainly isn’t impossible is it. I just think we need a lot of bounces and decisions to go our way tonight. Our discipline has to be squeaky clean

Hedd Wyn John

Yeah it’s a shame. This would be a great contest with two full strength rosters but 4 Dmen kills us. Playing half the game in Belfast with only 4D would be tough but we’ve got to play 60 minutes with only 4 D! Carruth is going to have to play the game of his life and we’re going to have to be so clinical with our chances.
Our only chance is to score early and often & try to hang on. If we go behind and have to chase the game I think it will be too much.

jenks33

Did hear Fournier was approached but obviously wasnt true...
I was convinced McNulty would be back tonight. I’m guessing Todd and Skalde thought he would be ok for the final as I think we would have signed another D man if they knew 2 or 3 weeks ago that he wasn’t going to make it.

BostonBart22

Will be a very tough game for us now, no doubt coaches knew about our problem after sundays game so will have adapted some sort of system to adhere to, hopefully it dont go to OT as another 20 mins would kill us off, enjoy the ride Devils it will be a blast to all of you, no pressure but looking forward to seeing the cup at IAW Friday thats if Clan turn up..

Kevlar68

I think with only 4 D men it could be offensive breakout counters and defend solidly.
Trying to force the game we could end up on breakaway goals with tired defence.
It will all be about preserving the defences energy levels and letting the forwards make all the attacks with breakouts but without just sitting back all the time.
I think it can be done, rope a dope style of play.

Last edited:

Diafol

Security staff at SSE have confiscated our balloons.
To make things even more ridiculous, instead of bursting them the steward struggled up the steps with an armful of them.
Irish logic ?

ASHIPP

The Giants are the in form team but let's be honest, they virtually coasted into the Final of this competition by dominating much weaker teams than them at group stage and having the easier draw in the semi-final.
The Devils have had a bit of a roller coaster in this competition, playing a strong team in the semi. They have earned the right to be there tonight.
Yes our Team is disadvantaged tonight...not by skill but by bench numbers. They have played shortbenched against the Giants this season and beaten them. The 4 remaining defence men are seasoned winners in Cups and championships. They know what is required .For other players it will be the excitement of a first Final.
If the Devils play with pride, focus and discipline tonight, anything is possible.
To get to this stage is an achievement in itself. Win or lose, they should be proud of themselves.
Personally, I will be glad for them to get out of there having put on a good performance and have no further injuries.