Giants Vs Devils - 22 & 23 Feb 19 - League

Well two great teams. Think that was the best weekend of hockey I've seen in the Odyssey in years. Not much between both teams in quality. Felt Giants did enough to win Friday, however Saturday felt Devils did enough if it wasn't for Besko in nets.

Certainly a dramatic end to the game. Both teams left everything on the ice this weekend. That was a good advert for EIHL hockey. Pity that none of those weren't televised on freesport.

Gonna be an exciting run in till the end of season. Also great travelling Devils support, hope they all enjoyed their time in Belfast and safe travels home.

BostonBart22

Devils unlucky last night agreed puck just over line for ot winner. Their keeper amazing reflexes and saves from devils onslaught in 3rd and ot.. credit to both teams for putting up 2 cracking games over last 2 days..hopefully that point may be in our favour at the end of season at least we had the Irish cheering for Wales as they demolished England.

Slartibartfast

One of the lessons learnt from that game is that you have to screen Besko to beat him. Batch did a great job of that. We just need to be doing that on every line.

hip check

Just a little query? ..If we come runners up (hopefully not) do we kiss goodbye to the CHL or could there be redemption at the play offs ?
Giants could we'll do the treble themselves this season so just wondered about it.
Great games over the weekend by the way, really enjoyed our stay in Belfast.

Gazza272

Just a little query? ..If we come runners up (hopefully not) do we kiss goodbye to the CHL or could there be redemption at the play offs ?
Giants could we'll do the treble themselves this season so just wondered about it.
Great games over the weekend by the way, really enjoyed our stay in Belfast.
The top 2 teams in the league gain entry to the CHL this year.

kingmo19.1

Any more news on that clown displaying the cut throat gestures and abusive hand signals?

Idiots like that should be banned for the remainder of the season.

Temme

Any more news on that clown displaying the cut throat gestures and abusive hand signals?

Idiots like that should be banned for the remainder of the season.
There's a post about him (with him rather) on the EIHL banter group on Facebook.

Rumoured to have traveled over with the owners, but no concrete proof of that & nothing from the Owners to say that was the case :)

Diablo3

OK just got back from the weekend. My own thoughts on it are...
We played well Friday, ok there were a couple of errors but who doesn't make them. We were under the cosh a bit but could still have won.

We were awesome Saturday and so unlucky not to get the result, and would have done, bar some world class saves from the Giants netminder. It was a great team performance and so good to see Evan on the ice again. We looked much more solid at the back with him playing. My own special moment, getting a high five from Steve King when we equalised Saturday. Those owners are so passionate about the Devils.

I know the OT goal was valid, but the length of time it took to confirm, and the illegal "phoning upstairs for a laptop" was a farce. We have had goals disallowed under similar circumstances at the Viola and are not allowed to use equipment not in the box at the start of the game.

Our fans were superb, I have no voice left. No idea how i'm going to cheer the guys on Wednesday.
As for the idiot near the plexi, yes he was one of the Calgary group, but he was legless and has apologised for his behaviour. It happens.

Am I going next year... You betcha. Awesome Arena, great friendly locals, superb hockey. what's not to like.

We played well Friday, ok there were a couple of errors but who doesn't make them. We were under the cosh a bit but could still have won.

We were awesome Saturday and so unlucky not to get the result, and would have done, bar some world class saves from the Giants netminder. It was a great team performance and so good to see Evan on the ice again. We looked much more solid at the back with him playing. My own special moment, getting a high five from Steve King when we equalised Saturday. Those owners are so passionate about the Devils.

I know the OT goal was valid, but the length of time it took to confirm, and the illegal "phoning upstairs for a laptop" was a farce. We have had goals disallowed under similar circumstances at the Viola and are not allowed to use equipment not in the box at the start of the game.

Our fans were superb, I have no voice left. No idea how i'm going to cheer the guys on Wednesday.
As for the idiot near the plexi, yes he was one of the Calgary group, but he was legless and has apologised for his behaviour. It happens.

Am I going next year... You betcha. Awesome Arena, great friendly locals, superb hockey. what's not to like.
It’s funny isn’t it, I thought Bowns made some world class saves to keep Devils in the game for so long over both nights but many Devils fans only seem to see the opposition nms these days and it’s easy to blame the D after what happened. But always a team game. Was the goal a sure goal? I’m not convinced. For me the call on the ice should have stood anyway when the equipment wasn’t readily available.
Yes Besko made the saves in OT but hand on heart did the Devils create enough offence to win the game?

Agree with what you say though, Devils played much better in the second game and having held on for so long were unlucky in a few ways.
Hopefully Giants will drop more points than Devils in the remaking games.

Diablo3

I agree the call on the ice should have stood, but then it was Darnell. ;) I also agree Bownsy pulled off great saves too, but then we expect him to these days, which kinda shows how much we sometimes take him for granted. But yes, hand on heart we did create enough chances to win it Saturday , especially in OT.

I agree the call on the ice should have stood, but then it was Darnell. ;) I also agree Bownsy pulled off great saves too, but then we expect him to these days, which kinda shows how much we sometimes take him for granted. But yes, hand on heart we did create enough chances to win it Saturday , especially in OT.
It’s a real shame Bentivoglio went down (possibly tripped) otherwise I think sure goal and no need for laptopgate

Wannabe2

Tough, tough game Friday, the lads played really well, forgetting the 2 errors giants probably deserved the win. Sat game massive saves by two excellent netties, end to end hockey which I thought overall we could have so easily won. Tough place to go, but the lads did us proud, and left it all on the ice, amazing support by fans I am so proud to be part of. So Clan next, let’s raise the roof.
Happy Hockey Days

Mooney#16

Let's not forget Giants were playing for their title lives. Lose and they were done. Devils are still in the driving seat and it's still all in the players hands. All Giants can do now is continue to exert pressure by getting results but their is no head to head left. They are talking it up but they can't win it only Devils lose it in reality they can keep chirping but they'll choke a game or two especially to the playoff contenders.

Yet again it is the Devils against the Devils. Play with passion upto potential and its there for the taking. Forget the weekend. It's done. 12 steps to go for glory. I expect Devils to leave it all on the ice over the next month.

kingmo19.1

Does worry me somewhat that the point production our 3rd and 4th line has really dropped off to almost nothing.

We need a bit more from Livingstone, Myers, Duggan & Morrissette.

I fear any injuries to Martin, Langlet or Hedden will almost seal our fate.

Gough60

To be fair Mat & Jake are working so hard on the PK (and doing an A1 job) there could well be a drop in the 4th lines performance.
I don't think there is. Just the opposition on the weekend is the best we will face in the league.

Diablo3

To be fair Mat & Jake are working so hard on the PK (and doing an A1 job) there could well be a drop in the 4th lines performance.
I don't think there is. Just the opposition on the weekend is the best we will face in the league.
Agreed, those 4 are all contributing to the team as a whole. It's not just the numbers. The run in is going to be tough, but I'm still positive we are going to give it all to try for a threepeat. We need a great team spirit to do that, and we have that in spades.

Wannabe2

In fairness, we have scored the same amount of goals as Belfast, with one game less. Everyone thinks they are lethal in front of goal, but they ain’t more lethal than us. And as a passing note,come on you Flyers.