Giants Vs Devils - 22 & 23 Feb 19 - League

I don’t actually think we played poorly, we were the wrong side of ref decisions and didn’t have much luck. I expect us to go back tomorrow and batter them. Lordo will so so will I.

Wannabe2

It’s not the time to be signalling any individual out, we were poor as a team tonight and players who have had a poor night don’t need telling, on a positive note Morissette was like a Kamikaze pilot tonight, throwing himself in front of shots. I have a feeling tomorrow we will take Giants to the cleaners, just hope that’s the case.

august04

We’ve got too many defencemen whose natural instinct is to attack. Yes the game is changing I know, but the first criteria I look for in a D man is the ability to be able to defend properly. Apart from the two howlers from Batch and Fournier, there were a few giveaways from Schiestel too tonight, including one shocking pass out in front of the net which almost cost us a goal. I don’t think we’ve been great at the back end all year - and we certainly never replaced the calm assurance that Strachan brought to the team last season. Saying all that, I really don’t think Belfast dominated and it still could have gone either way. Bowns played very well though.

Rich Best

I didn't see the game, as I mistakenly went to watch Cardiff City get thumped 1-5!

But, I don't recall Batchy making the huge number of defensive errors this season that a few posters are saying he has made - I must have missed this string of errors??!! Anyone like to give details of each individual error, I stand to be corrected?

Is this just a passionate overreaction after losing a close game to our closest rivals?

Ocko

Is our defensive record that bad? We are only 5 away from having the best defensive record in the league.

It’s easy to blame Batch. I was more disappointed about the two howlers from Richie getting undressed.

jenks33

I didn't see the game, as I mistakenly went to watch Cardiff City get thumped 1-5!

But, I don't recall Batchy making the huge number of defensive errors this season that a few posters are saying he has made - I must have missed this string of errors??!! Anyone like to give details of each individual error, I stand to be corrected?

Is this just a passionate overreaction after losing a close game to our closest rivals?
No not all season Rich. He actually played very well early season. But if you don’t think Batchy has looked shaky and made too many errors recently then you’ve been sleeping during games

Rich Best - Batch’s errors may not have been glaring until tonight’s as they haven’t directly cost us, but the number of wayward passes, lack of concentration, missed hits etc have been building and noticeable for weeks now, if not months. Maybe you haven’t noticed them, but in that case I would have to ask in return what positives you feel Batch has brought to the ice lately?

As I mentioned earlier, I felt he started the season strongly, and I have no grudge whatsoever against him as a player, but I feel the dip in form has been very noticeable and tonight was unfortunately a glaring example of that.

He’s not solely to blame for tonight, but I feel it’s fair to question a player’s form in a reasoned way, especially after a big error in a big game. It seems I’m not the only one with that viewpoint?

Slartibartfast

Is our defensive record that bad? We are only 5 away from having the best defensive record in the league.

It’s easy to blame Batch. I was more disappointed about the two howlers from Richie getting undressed.
Richie did get undressed but he was very tired due to yet another icing. At one point we had 3 icings in a row. I cant remember if that was when he got undressed but it was definitely after one icing so he had been out there a long time

kingmo19.1

Unfortunately, Batchie has been looking shaky for a few months now - maybe a confidence thing, but he looks a liability at times and seems to lose his concentration quite a bit with sloppy passes and positional errors.

The standard of the league has risen this year and quite a few players who might have been comfortable a few years ago are now being found out.

Hedd Wyn John

I don’t actually think we played poorly, we were the wrong side of ref decisions and didn’t have much luck. I expect us to go back tomorrow and batter them. Lordo will so so will I.
To beat the Giants on home ice Devils need to be on top of their game. They weren’t close to that, it was a tight game but every time devils got on a PP or in a good position they messed it up.

jimmy snels

to many fancy dans on D, not enough big , solid, dependable guys. for me those errors that cost us the game last night have happened a lot recently and we got away with them to a degree. Primary role of a D man is to stop goals. only richie and Louis play like this imho. Lets be honest replacing blood never really happened imo we just went for stop gap measures. He was a replacement himself for Strachan, an NHLr who played a huge game for us.

jimmy snels

also, whats with the video circulating of the guy giving everyone the middle finger at the plexi?? lots are saying he is a guest of our management!? i hope not, hardly representing the shirt there the absolute plank.

BostonBart22

also, whats with the video circulating of the guy giving everyone the middle finger at the plexi?? lots are saying he is a guest of our management!? i hope not, hardly representing the shirt there the absolute plank.
Yes didn't look good..that was after the game ..he was warned by security during game when Belfast had pp awarded to them he was very abusive to players and officials on the ice..looked like he had a screw loose imho not being nasty.

Jonesy83

Not sure if this video will link properly but this is the bloke that’s been doing the rounds online. There’s more than one video of him putting his middle finger up at the players at the end of the game.

People think that he was with the owners party and one of the owners is sat behind him in that video.

This isn’t off the back of just tonight’s error, mistakes happen to the best of them (and he was by no means alone tonight), but for Batch that was a culmination of poor form for a fair while now. What happened to the Batch who started the season, he looked more aggressive and sharp?

Probably dodgy food again....

‘To beat the Giants on home ice Devils need to be on top of their game. They weren’t close to that, it was a tight game but every time devils got on a PP or in a good position they messed it up.’

THIS ^. Lots of posts blaming one player on here & social media. Strangely few looking at the team performance. Giants were the better side for large parts of the game. Biggest difference is they defended as a 5 man unit and took their chances. Devils didn’t do either, even when presented with several open nets. If each and every player does their job they can win tonight. But I think the TEAM d and scoring are big factors at the moment.