GB

moggy#9

You can't fault the defensive discipline that Pete Russell's tried to instill in the team. But there are several flaws which need to be fixed before we face the big three.

There were too many blind clearing attempts and unstructured breakouts. That means that all too often we weren't clearing our own zone.

Players were getting the puck with little idea what they'd do with it. This meant when pressured they'd just get rid of it into space. That sort of thing is often ok in the elite league, but against top teams we're beaten to the puck.

Our passing lacked accuracy.

The dump and watch approach achieves nothing except giving up possession and putting ourselves under pressure again. We have to retain possession more and build plays.

Our puck movement is too slow on the pp. It means that we can never deform our opponents box to set up scoring opportunities.

A lot of these issues are to do with the team's amount of preparation. Our domestic season needs to be sorted out to make sure that GB are ready.

I don't really have any hope for the next few games beyond avoiding embarrassment.

Kevlar68

Massive point for GB, brilliant comeback.

I wonder if the Bownsey doubters are still thinking it’s a bad idea him returning to us ???
I'll stick by my comments. We had a better nettie in Carruth last season so who's to say we can't find someone of Carruth standard again.
If we don't look for a standard of Carruth then that's a step backwards for me.
He saved our ass in many games last season.
No doubt bowns is a good nettie but my concern is that bad injury he gained.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I'll stick by my comments. We had a better nettie in Carruth last season so who's to say we can't find someone of Carruth standard again.
If we don't look for a standard of Carruth then that's a step backwards for me.
He saved our ass in many games last season.
Yeah, bowns is a great stopper, but modern goalies tend to now be more active. How many times last season did we are carruth looking for a bad longer change from an opponent to get a quick stretch pass? That, to me is the weakness in bowns.

moggy#9

The website says the "overall bottom two teams" get relegated. My interpretation of that is the two teams with the least points between the two groups.

If that's the case Italy and Kazakhstan are still on zero points.

Anyone understand it differently?