G is "embarassed"

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Burgy said:
It was also noticable last night how Ben Davies played again. He was very good once again. He does what other dont. He makes him self available for a pass and a shot. He works in well and keep moving to create himself some space.

the last 4 games i have watched and seen Davies played i have said that he is doing alot more than what our top paid imports are doing, Davies chases down puck when some of our players dont want to skate around, he gets open like mentioned above and he is always forchecking hard and lost count how many times he has turned the puck over in the opposition end just by chasing the puck, he is a very good player at just 18 and cant wait to see how he develops in a couple of years, he is be class
He does do an excellent job of chasing the puck in the oppositions end which keeps the pressure on them, belfast were very good at that on saturday which is part of the reason we kept coughing the puck up to them (that and the terrible passing). I can never understand why the rest of the team can never be bothered to chase the puck like Davies does, he most cover twice the amount of ice the rest of the team do.

TheStub

He is hungry, when the others don't seem to be. A lot of that probably comes from him being 18, and getting a load of ice time at the highest level he can play in this country.

I hope we are making him an offer, and getting the lad signed up. Perhaps we should start offering NHL style 12 year contracts for him :lol:

nmase20 said:
Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Burgy said:
It was also noticable last night how Ben Davies played again. He was very good once again. He does what other dont. He makes him self available for a pass and a shot. He works in well and keep moving to create himself some space.

the last 4 games i have watched and seen Davies played i have said that he is doing alot more than what our top paid imports are doing, Davies chases down puck when some of our players dont want to skate around, he gets open like mentioned above and he is always forchecking hard and lost count how many times he has turned the puck over in the opposition end just by chasing the puck, he is a very good player at just 18 and cant wait to see how he develops in a couple of years, he is be class
He does do an excellent job of chasing the puck in the oppositions end which keeps the pressure on them, belfast were very good at that on saturday which is part of the reason we kept coughing the puck up to them (that and the terrible passing). I can never understand why the rest of the team can never be bothered to chase the puck like Davies does, he most cover twice the amount of ice the rest of the team do.
we should do like they do in rugby and see how many metres he skates in a game where they calculate how many meters are covered by the player, i bet he would have a lot more than most of our team,

offer him a Vinnie contract is it Stub haha

with him playing with the likes of Elich and Latullippe he is going to just keep growing and growing in confidence and G is giving him the ice time he deserves

Wannabe2

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Burgy said:

He obviously wants a contract next season, and he should get one, you can teach players all the skills in the world, but one thing you cant give them is a bigger heart, and Ben has one the size of the universe. You either have it in you to go the extra mile or you dont.

TheStub

The great thing is, he will just get better and better. Well, you hope anyway.

With the right encouragement, I think he is set to be one of the next stars of the league, British or otherwise. He already has the work ethic, and a load of strength. Before long, he will be skating through defenders - just needs that bit moire strength and strong hands in front of the net.

Hopefully he will be a key Devil for years to come.

ASHIPP

Wannabe hit the nail on the head - Ben going the 'extra mile'. Not only has he been an absolute joy to watch this season, but I am really excited about seeing him develop in the next couple of years....please God, let's hope we can keep him from being snapped up! Hope G is talking to this young man already about next year. :D
Watching Ben play makes me proud to be a Devils' fan - he embodies all that is positive and passionate about the game with ability in spadeloads. How embarrassed I feel at times when some of his more experienced (and better paid) team mates don't come up to the mark. :oops:
What has happened to the Elich/Davies partnership which seemed to be gelling so well a few weeks ago? :? Ben is obviously a very quick learner - and probably the only one who could keep up with Matt!

Wannabe2

It would also be nice to think that maybe there are a few more Bens in the pipeline, Cardiff used to be a hotbed for home grown talent, as was Durham in the past. The Devils organisation will be a lot richer producing local talent, and in Brent and the other guys working with the young guys, and with Matts input bringing everyone together, then the future for this great club must be rosy. Just need a few others now to follow Bens enthusism, and true grit.

TheStub

Probably the best thing that could happen, from that point of view, is a reduction in the number of import slots on the teams. That will allow for more Brits, and give the young players more of a chance of getting ice time.

It is good that our ENL side is pushing against some fairly impressive teams. Some of the top teams in that league look like they are almost EPL quality, and that can only be good for developing the younger players :D

Watching Ben play makes me proud to be a Devils' fan - he embodies all that is positive and passionate about the game with ability in spadeloads. How embarrassed I feel at times when some of his more experienced (and better paid) team mates don't come up to the mark.
Have been told Ben does not get paid

TheStub

Not surprising, as he is a stand in - "proving" himself. Although, now he has proved himself - you would hope we will be getting him signed up and pro.

Anyone know what he intends doing? Guessing he is sitting exams in the summer - so are we going to be loosing him to another university next year? Or, could G work out a deal with Cardiff to keep him on a play and learn type deal?

Suppose, a lot depends on where Ben sees himself - does he want to play professional ice hockey. I bet we all hope so :D

Wannabe2 said:
Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Burgy said:

He obviously wants a contract next season, and he should get one, you can teach players all the skills in the world, but one thing you cant give them is a bigger heart, and Ben has one the size of the universe. You either have it in you to go the extra mile or you dont.
Ben plays with the skill of an import and the commitment of Franny, what a mix

Elich moved fast and carrys the puck well as we know but no one ever seems to keep up with him and as soon as he needs to pass for a shot on goal you find he needs to stop and work back. Ben kept up with him and So Elich would look out for him but now he is not on the same line.
Totally agree. When Ben and Elich were on the same line i could definetly see a lot of potential. If Ben could perfect his sniping they could be onto a winner.

I also agree with the comment made about Stefishen taking a few liberties with our players, and there being no retaliation by our enforcers. I can't remember who he checked from behind when the ref was turned away, but he was not worried about becoming a target due to a lack of physical presence in the form of checking and aggrivating.

I would definetly be happy keeping the vast majority of our players next season, as i believe that we have a broad array of player types that just need to inject a bit more passion and pride into the game

Russky

Ben Davies and Matt Elich are the shining stars that came out of last weekend with any credit. I am now looking forward to seeinng the evidence of the resolution that came out of mondays team meeting put into action on the ice tonight, and blow the Phoenix away with an emphatic, energised, convincing and commanding performance from the Devils. Anything short if this will not be acceptable!

I would definetly be happy keeping the vast majority of our players next season, as i believe that we have a broad array of player types that just need to inject a bit more passion and pride into the game
So (in your opinion) the "vast majority" of our team have played over 3/4 of the season with insufficient "passion and pride"......and you want them back!!!!!!
If, DevilInside, for next season, this club of ours is offering the 'status quo'........then don't forget to turn the lights off when you leave !!!!

TheStub said:
He is hungry, when the others don't seem to be. A lot of that probably comes from him being 18, and getting a load of ice time at the highest level he can play in this country.

I hope we are making him an offer, and getting the lad signed up. Perhaps we should start offering NHL style 12 year contracts for him :lol:
I wouldnt bank on it, the import slots will take up the majority of the wage cap and the likes of the young brits get the pittance thats left, irrespective of how they play. Thats why most brits don't bother to continue to play past 18, they are better off working in a factory, with weekends off!
its a shame, because we have had some excellent brits who just move on, some to EPL for more money than elite league coaches will pay I've heard.