Frölunda vs Devils - 8 Oct 19 - CHL

Mazzoak

The team is too old, too slow and frankly lacking any guidance. Having said that, that’s for the CHL, our home league, luckily it’s matched by teams of similar standards.

Mazzoak

Don’t see why. You can support a team and still be aware of its limitations.

The EIHL is our bread and butter. To bring in players, coaching staff of a higher standard would be economically ludicrous. Serves no purpose at all. At least if it’s managed well, the CHL will give experience to younger home grown players, for Bowns it’s hugely important for team GB, for some of the imports, it’s just a reminder of what they didn’t achieve.

jimmy snels

Well I remain to be convinced by our defensive unit this year and that’s not just based on watching this game - and I certainly think we need more size at the back end. It might not be fashionable but for me, we need another big, stay at home D man who knows how to defend first and foremost. I could not believe the number of times Frölunda seemed to waltz through the neutral zone right between our defenceman and in on goal, with not a hit in sight. That‘s just not Devils hockey. It was a 7 goal game but it could have been 10 or more, if it wasn’t for Bowns‘ heroics in the first two periods. I hope Lord gets them going next week with a few harsh words and we see some real Devils hockey next Tuesday and regain some respect. I’m sure the crowd will play their part. It’s now up to the team to do the same.

i totally agree. one thing we as rank outsiders could do was get physical. again loads of penalties given for lazy plays but absolutely devoid of physical play imo. Showed them way to much respect. I appreciate Steve's opinion on this and can see where he's coming from. the one thing i would disagree on would be it being a tough game. i dont think many will be waking up in the morning thinking that they'd been in a big game last night. I dont mind losing against a better team but felt a bit of a wimper from us not a roar, unlike the travelling support who brought the noise for the boys

Wannabe2

great to see different teams, but now let’s back to the bread and butter of our domestic league, bring on Giants, Steelers,Panthers, Clan etc.

Imp

E0A6E6EF-7D7C-430F-94D0-00C6DB696463.jpeg

Win ... in regulation ... Devils qualify ahead of Frölunda.
Win ... in OT/SO ... Devils finish behind Frölunda, and qualify only if Mountfield HK lose in regulation.
Devils will lose any tie-break with either FHC or MHK, so must finish ahead of one of them on points.

... I think?

august04

View attachment 1145

Win ... in regulation ... Devils qualify ahead of Frölunda.
Win ... in OT/SO ... Devils finish behind Frölunda, and qualify only if Mountfield HK lose in regulation.
Devils will lose any tie-break with either FHC or MHK, so must finish ahead of one of them on points.

... I think?
I admire your optimism!

kingmo19.1

i totally agree. one thing we as rank outsiders could do was get physical. again loads of penalties given for lazy plays but absolutely devoid of physical play imo. Showed them way to much respect. I appreciate Steve's opinion on this and can see where he's coming from. the one thing i would disagree on would be it being a tough game. i dont think many will be waking up in the morning thinking that they'd been in a big game last night. I dont mind losing against a better team but felt a bit of a wimper from us not a roar, unlike the travelling support who brought the noise for the boys
Completely agree with you there. We shouldn't try to play our normal game against these guys as we're going to lose hands down, it's like Newport County playing Liverpool. It would be criminal to try the same thing in our barn. Need to change the approach for the return leg and play far more physical (obviously within the limits of CHL officiating).

jimmy snels

the CHL officiating has allowed almost all physical play but constantly picked up stick offences. we used it against graz to great effect. quite why we decided to play such a passive game is beyond me.

id want some NHL drafted rookie to tell people for years how i was the most horrible rink rat he had ever played against, not that i was a lovely bloke. leave it all on the ice. if we dont change for the home game i dont anticipate a different result

Superb break down of goals and very much appreciated!

Game end

58:04 Goal - 9:2. FHC Penalty Shot. Goal by Samuel Fagemo.

55:26 Goal - 8:2. FHC Power Play Goal. Goal by Joel Lundqvist assisted by Rhett Rakhshani and Ryan Lasch.

47:37 Goal - 7:2. FHC Power Play Goal. Goal by Joel Lundqvist assisted by Ryan Lasch.

46:31 Goal - 6:2. FHC Equal Strength. Goal by Brandon Gormley assisted by Nicklas Lasu and Mats Rosseli-Olsen.

44:21 Goal - 5:2. CAR Power Play Goal. Goal by Joey Haddad assisted by Matthew Myers and Joey Martin.

42:51 Goal - 5:1. FHC Equal Strength. Goal by Jacob Peterson assisted by Theodor Lennström and Karl Stollery.

2nd Period End

34:59 Goal - 4:1. FHC Equal Strength. Goal by Samuel Fagemo assisted by Simon Hjalmarsson and Ryan Lasch.

27:07 Goal - 3:1. FHC Equal Strength. Goal by Karl Stollery assisted by Nicklas Lasu and Johan Mattsson.

24:23 Goal - 2:1. CAR Equal Strength. Goal by Joey Martin assisted by Bryce Reddick and Matthew Pope.

23:30 Goal - 2:0. FHC Power Play Goal. Goal by Joel Lundqvist assisted by Rhett Rakhshani and Ryan Lasch.

1st Period End

0:35 Goal - 1:0. FHC Equal Strength. Goal by Patrik Carlsson.

Devils86

A lot of what I wanted to say tonight has been said. Needed to be tougher and as it was obvious we couldn’t match Frölunda’s speed we needed to put some guys on their backsides. Try and get under their skin.

Hugely disappointing result. Fans were great - decent turnout, would have loved a few more to pack out that standing section (but appreciate its expensive).

I however have some minor, b*tchy things to mention:
- given that arena is their second home Frölunda don’t seem to want to take money off away fans (save for the typical Swedish: “average at best beer for a ridiculous price”) I’d have happily bought a programme, a puck or something/ANYTHING as a souvenir or our day - but no. Nothing in their pop up shop other than jerseys, scarfs and tat.
- what an embarrassment of a home atmosphere. We often discuss how the Viola can be quiet but that place was something else. Library indeed.
- if roles had been reversed, Indians at the Viola losing but having backed their team throughout as we did, no way Kelman isn’t on the tannoy praising those fans at the end and inviting the home fans to do the same. Few Indians remained after to watch the Army after the game but nowt from the club. They wouldn’t have said anything had the tidying issue not cropped up. It may be petty but IMO it shows a lack of class.
- and on the topic of the fans at the end...where were the Devils? Yes they’d just suffered a beating but the fans were there throughout and gave them their all. A couple minutes to come and acknowledge the fans would have been nice.

Admittedly I’m being a little precious, and picky but just those little things annoyed me - maybe they annoyed others.

Looking at the big picture though - very proud that we went nose-to-nose with the best, just didn’t come off tonight. With a fit roster we’d struggle so that tonight was an immense effort - but not good enough. Let’s try and put that right at home.

CaldicotDevil

A lot of what I wanted to say tonight has been said. Needed to be tougher and as it was obvious we couldn’t match Frölunda’s speed we needed to put some guys on their backsides. Try and get under their skin.

Hugely disappointing result. Fans were great - decent turnout, would have loved a few more to pack out that standing section (but appreciate its expensive).

I however have some minor, b*tchy things to mention:
- given that arena is their second home Frölunda don’t seem to want to take money off away fans (save for the typical Swedish: “average at best beer for a ridiculous price”) I’d have happily bought a programme, a puck or something/ANYTHING as a souvenir or our day - but no. Nothing in their pop up shop other than jerseys, scarfs and tat.
- what an embarrassment of a home atmosphere. We often discuss how the Viola can be quiet but that place was something else. Library indeed.
- if roles had been reversed, Indians at the Viola losing but having backed their team throughout as we did, no way Kelman isn’t on the tannoy praising those fans at the end and inviting the home fans to do the same. Few Indians remained after to watch the Army after the game but nowt from the club. They wouldn’t have said anything had the tidying issue not cropped up. It may be petty but IMO it shows a lack of class.
- and on the topic of the fans at the end...where were the Devils? Yes they’d just suffered a beating but the fans were there throughout and gave them their all. A couple minutes to come and acknowledge the fans would have been nice.

Admittedly I’m being a little precious, and picky but just those little things annoyed me - maybe they annoyed others.

Looking at the big picture though - very proud that we went nose-to-nose with the best, just didn’t come off tonight. With a fit roster we’d struggle so that tonight was an immense effort - but not good enough. Let’s try and put that right at home.
I heard the Devils wanted to come back on the ice and spend time with the fans but weren’t allowed. Not sure if that was the CHL, Frolunda or the Devils who imposed they didn’t. However Todd was smiling like a Cheshire Cat watching us sing and chant so I can’t imagine it was a Devils rule.

Big fan of the Frölunda goal song. Even after hearing 9 times it never got boring.

ASHIPP

R
Many Thanks....shame but at least we can see they can be scored against. Let's just all hope the Lord shines on us at the home game lol
Remember the mountain we had to climb against Sheffield in the Challenge Cup a couple of seasons back....and the Devils pulled off a miracle. They believed and executed.

Yes they will be playing one of the best teams in Europe.... but they have done that at home in previous seasons and pulled off a victory. It is not impossible if the Guys are in the right mindset, completely focused and execute their roles as planned.

Devils86

I heard the Devils wanted to come back on the ice and spend time with the fans but weren’t allowed. Not sure if that was the CHL, Frolunda or the Devils who imposed they didn’t. However Todd was smiling like a Cheshire Cat watching us sing and chant so I can’t imagine it was a Devils rule.

Big fan of the Frölunda goal song. Even after hearing 9 times it never got boring.
In which case fair play to the Devils but what sort of rubbish is that from Frolunda - doubt a CHL thing as didn’t Bern come back out last year at the Viola? Or was that before they left the ice...

As for the goal song...was OK. Bit tedious by the end of the game lol the only time there was any atmosphere from the home crowd

doron

i personally think if we don't play a physical game we cant win. it does show one thing though ? and that is the average age of the players needs to come down more to compete with these teams. you need a good mix. i do believe we are heading that way mind.

moggy#9

i personally think if we don't play a physical game we cant win. it does show one thing though ? and that is the average age of the players needs to come down more to compete with these teams. you need a good mix. i do believe we are heading that way mind.
There are many factors of which average age is one. Squad size, depth, fitness, budget, culture - they all come into it.

RTfarty

I can't imagine there was much of an appetite from the home fans for this game. Whilst playing Frolunda in the CHL is a massive deal to us, all they really see is an exhibition game in their 'training facility', hence the low attendance and lack of atmosphere. I imagine watching them at the Scandinavium arena in the SHL would be an entirely different experience altogether.

As for praising fans.. in my experience, that is purely unique to British hockey. Nothing classless about it at all from Frolunda and as you pointed out, they picked up on the cleaning gesture, which was a nice touch from the hosts.