Fournier goal of the season contender

Diafol

Funny, I said exactly the same thing when it happened.
Outstanding.
I hope Gleason is a Devil for years to come.
What a player.

Temme

In all seriousness it poses a pretty good question:

Fournier so far this season, or Hotham in his best previous season?
2 different styles of D man but also kind of similar in offensive talent.

One thing is for sure though is that he has taken the #1 D man role and blown it out of the water.

We say as a fan base every year we would be very lucky to keep certain players - and then miraculously do, but there is simply NO WAY on this earth that if Ben O'Connor can get a KHL & then Allsvenskan contract/try-out ( i know the KHL one fell through) then Fournier with his unparalleled skating ability will be offered big bucks in Europe next year, question is - will he do the Martin thing and stay with the Devils, or the Blood thing and leave?

JC23

In all seriousness it poses a pretty good question:

Fournier so far this season, or Hotham in his best previous season?
2 different styles of D man but also kind of similar in offensive talent.

One thing is for sure though is that he has taken the #1 D man role and blown it out of the water.

We say as a fan base every year we would be very lucky to keep certain players - and then miraculously do, but there is simply NO WAY on this earth that if Ben O'Connor can get a KHL & then Allsvenskan contract/try-out ( i know the KHL one fell through) then Fournier with his unparalleled skating ability will be offered big bucks in Europe next year, question is - will he do the Martin thing and stay with the Devils, or the Blood thing and leave?
I agree entirely.

In all honesty, I think I’d still take Hotham over Fourns, just because of the added elements of physicality he brought to the team. Albeit sometimes at the totally wrong times.

I think we were extremely lucky to have both of those guys on the roster at the exact same time.

Temme

I agree entirely.

In all honesty, I think I’d still take Hotham over Fourns, just because of the added elements of physicality he brought to the team. Albeit sometimes at the totally wrong times.

I think we were extremely lucky to have both of those guys on the roster at the exact same time.
It very much highlights just how good Fournier is when given the added responsibilities of #1 D man.

Another like for like question for you, in terms of our best 2 way guy - Culligan or Dixon?

I don't include Brine in that statement as he was very much defensive minded, and Dixon has only been here half a season, but there's ALOT of Culligan in the way that he plays the game.

Hockeymad

It do make you think don’t it,
O Connor is good and being British he would make any team in the eihl.

If Fournier can’t get a contract in the KHL then what are scouts looking at.

I don’t want him to leave though so I hope they stay away.

JC23

It very much highlights just how good Fournier is when given the added responsibilities of #1 D man.

Another like for like question for you, in terms of our best 2 way guy - Culligan or Dixon?

I don't include Brine in that statement as he was very much defensive minded, and Dixon has only been here half a season, but there's ALOT of Culligan in the way that he plays the game.
Oh.
Very tough one tbh.

I’d never have put those two together as comparable until you’ve now said it.

I loved the fact that Culligan could drop back on D at any given moment and was solid going forward, but essentially I am much more a fan of Dixon’s playing style, and think Dixon is much more a first line guy than Culligan. As much as it hurts to say that.

bdevil

I saw Culli and Dixon a little different also until you mentioned it.
I would have been more inclined to compare Culli to Mosey. Who would you choose out of those two? I know probably to early in Mosey’s Devils career to say....

Foxy

You beat me to it :)
I was just going to say Culligan compared to Mosey........ loved Culligan but have to say Mosey is getting there

Mooney#16

I think the key in the Fournier/Hotham debate is the Mark Richardson effect cannot be underestimated. I cannot for the life of me work out why coaches in Sheffield play O’Connor with Dave Phillips. It’s a horror show pairing. Put O’Connor with Ritchie and he’d have a career year the same as all the other guys. Ritchie is massive for these guys achieving on their potential. So so under rated as a player in the uk. He is a shut down beast.

tim78

Was going to say Culligan or Mosey.

Mosey definitely has more speed and physical presence. Though Culligan was consistent...

Lingley or McEwan ?

Wannabe2

I once purposely just watched Culligan whenever he went on the ice, and his work rate, and positive play was unreal. This guy was a players player, he brought so much to our team, if you had 5/6 Culligans in your team you would have a incredible team indeed. We were so lucky to have had this young man at our place.

Ocko

Was going to say Culligan or Mosey.

Mosey definitely has more speed and physical presence. Though Culligan was consistent...

Lingley or McEwan ?
Depends how you look at it. Obviously for what he offered and achieved with the Devils it will always be McEwen. As a player it's not even close - Linglet. In Doug's day a lot of players he played against would barely get in NIHL2 teams, many were basically glorified rec players. Linglet played KHL, Doug wouldn't of been anywhere near that level ever.

Culligan and Mosey are a difficult comparison though. Mosey played the higher level, but Culligan I felt was very, very underrated and if he really pursued a career in NA he couldve maybe got to the AHL.

Wannabe2

In defence of Dougie, you can only play against what’s in front of you, myself I reckon if the opposition was a higher quality game in game out, he would have also raised his game, and like Culligan MAC didn’t pursue a career in NA, it’s that old question was Best better than Ronaldo, would Tyson have beaten Ali, different eras different views. Anyway we are/were blessed to have had them both, thankfully.