Food at the rink: your thoughts?

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #1
Cheese & chips = good
Gravy & chips = good

The burgers are pretty mediocre IMO, a step down on Grazing shed for sure.

I gave up on hot dogs a long while back. (Maybe they've changed since) and the nachos are OK.

I have not tried the pizza at the rink.

What are your thoughts guys?

kingmo19.1

Pre-game, I normally eat at the double Michelin Star Gordon Ramsay restaurant up in the Gantry and can report the following:-

Caviar - Delicious.
Truffles - Sumptuous.
Lobster Thermidor - Delectable.
Walls Vienetta - Spiffing!

Last edited:

moggy#9

It would need nice if rinks had recognisable local stuff. Maybe have a dirty dots outlet in the rink doing chicken curry and chips, and Clarks pies.

Kevlar68

I spoke to the owner of poutine box and told him to contact the arena with regards to opening a franchise poutine box there. All the equipment is there and think it would be a great seller.

Last edited:

Devils86

Cheese & chips = good
Gravy & chips = good

The burgers are pretty mediocre IMO, a step down on Grazing shed for sure.

I gave up on hot dogs a long while back. (Maybe they've changed since) and the nachos are OK.

I have not tried the pizza at the rink.

What are your thoughts guys?
I had a burger a few weeks ago - mediocre is a huge compliment! Won't get one again unless they change massively - it was like school dinners!

Hotdogs are fine - they are standard fare, but a little dear.
I never touch nachos that come with that awful cheese/not-cheese dip stuff.
Pizzas are Ok - nice option to have but again pretty standard.

Understand that with Covid everything had to be scaled back but I look forward to something proper going back into the unit downstairs.

nicky27

I very rarely eat at rink because it's expensive with buying for a few of us. I have said for years thar I tthink a fish and chip outlet would make a fortune if the prices were kept reasonable.

RedDevil17

The last time I tried food down the rink was from the concession stand. The burgers there were incredibly dry and the hot dog bun would break as soon as you opened it out of the packet…

The cups of tea are nice though!

Diafol

Only tried the chips since it re-opened but wouldn't buy there again.
They were stone cold and greasy.
Very disappointing.

Swarley

Only food I'll eat at the arena is the hotdogs as they are definitely better than what they use to be, I won't touch the tea or coffee in the arena though, it's like boiled dishwater, over priced boiled dishwater at that.

Slartibartfast

Cheese and chips good
Curry and chips very good
hot dogs - I don't eat them but my son likes them
burgers - not tried them

I think its fine for a sports stadium. It works quite efficiently which is important when you have limited time

James

Administrator
Cheese, gravy and chips is pretty good for some ghetto poutine. I've not had the nacho's since they seem to have doubled in price but there's not much that can go wrong with them if you like that sort of thing.

Mazzoak

Bring pizza, decent pizza, bar pizza.

Plenty of American options for cooking and humidity controlled holding cabinets to keep slices in perfect condition so you don’t need to cook to order. The problem though is the IAW, lack of customers buying food and too many wanting to much variety. It’s not like Stadium Food around the World that has high demand for small variety. Brits are just too picky, making quality affordable impossible......

NathanG

This.

Unfortunately can't see much change because it seems consistently busy. I used to buy food most games, If I do now it's out of desperation because I can't sort something beforehand.
Don't get me wrong. When I've had a few I will have the biggest burger they offer along with chips and curry sauce. And I'll enjoy it simply because I'm hammered. But, I still say it's overpriced and average.

I've had better school dinners and they were bloody terrible.

With all the pop-up food places and independent vendors in Cardiff, surely there's a few that would take up a residency much like the Grazing Shed did?

Seriously, it's school canteen food at best ATM.

Pondlife

The issue is probably that their only opportunity to make any money is for an hour before, and 36 mins during, a game which takes place what 36-ish times a year. Unless you can tap into the local delivery market outside of game times it's doubtful that it's viable financially.

Kevlar68

The food outlet in the WNIR used to be busy during public skating sessions. School holidays were very busy, 3 sessions a day, 7 days a week. The cafe used to take so much more than just game nights and there was less choice than now.

Last edited: