Flyers Vs Devils - 1 Dec 18 - League

OJLloyd

Yeh let’s just get Louis to fight his way through the league.... dw about his injuries punching a helmet everyweek. Fighting is not always the way to go maybe that hit spurred on this win in itself and got everyone reved up.
I mean you’ve read a lot in to that which I didn’t say.
I’m not saying any particular player needs to fight, I’m saying that letting Martin take hits like that without even a threat of retribution will encourage teams like Nottingham to put the hits on him as well.
It’s hardly a new idea in hockey, it seems to work for McDavid/Lucic and some guy called Gretzky

zoesdevil

I’m not saying any particular player needs to fight, I’m saying that letting Martin take hits like that without even a threat of retribution will encourage teams like Nottingham to put the hits on him as well.
It’s hardly a new idea in hockey, it seems to work for McDavid/Lucic and some guy called Gretzky
Agreed if that happened to a Giants or Panthers player they'd of definitely done something about it. Doty started a fight with us & completely turned the game around in their favour.

Slartibartfast

What a turnaround. 1-0 down at the end of the first and a slow start to the second making it 2-0 made me think it was going to be another one of those games. But then Gleason Fournier (MOM) led the fightback. scoring a beauty of a back hand shot. Hedden then joined the charge with a couple including a lovely wrap around.
7 unanswered goals left Fife reeling and it looked like the early season games with Devils being clinical and the opposition not knowing how to deal with such perfection.
Great performances by Fournier and Hedden (and his line) but special mention has to go to Craig Moore who is doing a great job on D.
Also great to see Sam Duggan getting a goal. He does not look at all out of place in this team and I can see him taking over from Myers when he retires.
Two great periods from the Devils. If they can do that for 3 periods they can beat Belfast.

Far from reading into things just saying it’s only Louis who will step up and he can’t always fight. Plus he’s a great stay at home defenceman so why have him sin binned. Lucic is an aweful comparison spends most of his days rotting away in the sin bins now but agreed without mcsorley there was no Gretzky hence why they got traded together but that was a different era.

OJLloyd

Far from reading into things just saying it’s only Louis who will step up and he can’t always fight. Plus he’s a great stay at home defenceman so why have him sin binned. Lucic is an aweful comparison spends most of his days rotting away in the sin bins now but agreed without mcsorley there was no Gretzky hence why they got traded together but that was a different era.
Absolutely, and whilst I’m not sure we need McSorley-types looking out for Joey and Linglet, it didn’t seem like anyone even had a chat or reacted in any way. Obviously I could be wrong and maybe words were shared, but we seemed flat after it.

As for who fights if we need to I think Faryna is probably our go to on the aggression side, especially on nights like tonight where Louis (or Louie as the Fife commentators seem to think his name is) is too important to a depleted defence.

I prefer watching fast, hard, but legal, hitting, skilful hockey. But just from my rugby days sometimes you’ve got to stick up for the smaller, more skilful players. Not every game, and definitely not without reason. I felt tonight was one of those instances.

I definitely don’t go to games to watch idiots who can’t control a puck drop the gloves and then sit on the bench for the rest of the night.

OJLloyd

On a non-fighty point -

3 point night for Duggan tonight is a very good night. I think he grew in to the game, took his goal well.

Linglet getting 3 A’s as well, and Fournier putting up 4.

Should be a happy trip home if nothing else.

Slartibartfast

What inspired such a turnaround tonight then? From poor/average back to what sounds like our early season selves...
I think its a confidence thing. They were having the old problem of controlling a lot of the possession but not being able to get the puck in the net. I think they get frustrated and demoralised because they can't beat the goalie and just get into a rut trying more of the same. They were 1-0 down at the end of the first. Fife came out flying at the start of the second and we came out slow leading to a very early Fife goal.
Then Gleason Fournier took the lead with one of his mazy runs and scored a beauty. Then he scored again and set up some more and it lifted the teams confidence. As they scored more their confidence soared and they looked like their old selves again playing some beautiful creative hockey that Fife could not cope with.
Fournier seems to have taken over the role of Hotham. When the chips were down Hotham used to do something special to get that elusive goal and lift the team. Fournier has done this several times already this season. He deserved his MOM.

mjh

Linglet is now second in league for points behind Crowder. Great to see Hedden grabbing a goal. If we can get back to our best perhaps the Giants will be reeled back in. Next few weeks will be key.

Gough60

Typical road game start for us and unfortunately conceding 2. Matched them for shots on goal pretty much in 1st, but the difference in the second is we buried the puck not stuck it in Owen's chest. Fife were one of the team's to beat 3 weeks ago and we have smashed them in their own barn. Not many visitors will score 8 up there. I'm sure that the global ants will have a wobble at some point. We have, Fife have & with any luck Giants will start tonight and on to next weekend.