Flyers v Devils

august04

True, however imo Strachan was a freak signing. We wouldn’t of been able to get any where near a player of his standard if it wasn’t for his contacts with the club.

Think we missed a trick with Yann Sauve. Really liked him at the Panthers. Surprised he signed for Grenoble, thought he would’ve got higher offers.
I’m not saying it will be easy to get someone in as good as Strachan, clearly it won’t be. But he was the reason that we turned poor form around two years ago (and covered Reddick’s glaring weaknesses on D) and went on to win the league. He was a massive influence. Schiestel too was underrated last year and did a great job for us when Blood left. We need a similar lift now in my opinion. So people saying that we shouldn’t worry because we’ve been here before, yes we have - but that’s because we did something about it with our mid season reinforcements.

osh

Very, very disturbing !
Surely no one - and I mean no one - can now deny we have major problems. If Lord doesn’t act soon, we will end up at best as a mid table, mediocre side. It’s about time that those who continue to say he has got it right for the past years realise that the tide has turned ( for the worse ). Yes, he has got it right in past seasons, and he has been praised accordingly. However, he has got it very wrong this season and therefore criticised accordingly, and if he’s too stubborn to make changes then he has to accept responsibility for how we are performing at this time. Tonight is a total embarrassment and something appears to be seriously wrong within the structure of the team. This is the worst performing Devils team I have watched in the past 5 or so years, yet we have players capable of so much more.
I feel my social time will be better off elsewhere on a home fixture evening, I just don’t like what I am seeing at this time

Diablo3

Very, very disturbing !
Surely no one - and I mean no one - can now deny we have major problems. If Lord doesn’t act soon, we will end up at best as a mid table, mediocre side. It’s about time that those who continue to say he has got it right for the past years realise that the tide has turned ( for the worse ). Yes, he has got it right in past seasons, and he has been praised accordingly. However, he has got it very wrong this season and therefore criticised accordingly, and if he’s too stubborn to make changes then he has to accept responsibility for how we are performing at this time. Tonight is a total embarrassment and something appears to be seriously wrong within the structure of the team. This is the worst performing Devils team I have watched in the past 5 or so years, yet we have players capable of so much more.
I feel my social time will be better off elsewhere on a home fixture evening, I just don’t like what I am seeing at this time
I agree we are not playing well at the moment, and Lord said in his interview we have players that are too comfortable. So I assume he will address that, but nothing and I mean nothing will stop me going to games and supporting the Devils. I am a Devils fan regardless of how they play or where they are in the league.

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #108
We seem to always blame the defence (28 shots and 5 goals so they are certainly not blameless) but the 41 shots and 1 goal tells me the problem is bigger up front. It suggests we have a team of playmakers but no snipers.

As usual we have more possession, more territory, more pressure and more SOG but can't score and leave the back door open for the opposition. Have a look at the video for the 1st and 5th Fife goals. You will see that the last man (and last but one) arriving back in our D is a defencemen).

Thats why I called it groundhog day. Every loss has been the same. So frustrating

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/263-flyers-too-much-for-devils

Last edited:

Ocko

D men are getting slated. People seem to forget defence is also the responsibility of the forwards. You attack and defend as a 5. The game has moved on from D men sitting on the blueline so pointing the finger at them for every goal conceded is wasting your time. Even if they jump in the play the forwards are expected to cover, no coach is going to tell a D man to stop doing it, rather tell the forwards to be more aware.

Tonight, 3 goals came from unchallenged shots from the point - wingers responsibility. 1 goal from a 3 on 2 - both D men were back but an awful back check from the forwards meant there was absolutely nothing those two D could do. The final goal was just a mess from all on the ice.

august04

D men are getting slated. People seem to forget defence is also the responsibility of the forwards. You attack and defend as a 5. The game has moved on from D men sitting on the blueline so pointing the finger at them for every goal conceded is wasting your time. Even if they jump in the play the forwards are expected to cover, no coach is going to tell a D man to stop doing it, rather tell the forwards to be more aware.

Tonight, 3 goals came from unchallenged shots from the point - wingers responsibility. 1 goal from a 3 on 2 - both D men were back but an awful back check from the forwards meant there was absolutely nothing those two D could do. The final goal was just a mess from all on the ice.
D men are getting slated and rightly so but several have also pointed out that there are more problems all over the ice. It’s not just the poor goals we are conceding, we looked shambolic - and a few seemed utterly disinterested at times including our so called star players. That’s unacceptable.

Our expectations have been based on our amazing achievements the last few years. No one wants that to end , but I'm realistic enough to understand that when we set the bar other teams would respond. Respond they did, at the start of the season I was impressed with signings made by Giants, Steelers, Rau & Aulin at Clan to name a few. Not all gelled immediately but they are starting to string wins together. A team can't be just made up of big names but they do add that something . I felt we missed that something but still was confident that it would come together, the CHL made me believe that. Yet it is clear mow that things are not right as you don't need big names in your team to beat us, just a determination to win as Fife has just shown. Also worrying is that too many are not enjoying their hockey, leaving the Viola frustrated and bored and bus trips planned by loyal fans cancelled due to shortage in numbers. I do not believe we have the right to win trophies galore every season, even though I would like us to but I want us to play like the Devils; to feel that we gave it our all even in defeat. I think changes are needed and like others don't think the problems are all down to the D. All about money & what we can afford but if it doesn't happen then this is going to be a long season and future revenue could be impacted . Having said all that, hoping upon hope that we can get something tomorrow at Dundee!

kingmo19.1

I hope there were some stern words spoken and a few home truths delivered in the changing room after the game. Dundee will be difficult tomorrow night so we’ll need to be right at it from shift 1.

Ahahahahahahahaha this is hilarious. Do any of you know of before any success with these owners? And the belfast drubbing last year at home? Also flyers smashed us same score the season before that at home? Some of you are so funny.

doron

my issue is.? what was said above and i quote "Also worrying is that too many are not enjoying their hockey, leaving the Viola frustrated and bored " to be honest. you could read a book and watch the game at the same time.

Gazr76

This.
Too many times this season we've seen missed assignments on a breakout when the opposition has turned over the puck and rushed over our blueline. Normally on a three on two situation. You cant blame the defence for this as there is always a third man with space.
The home game against Nottingham was a good example of this. I am sure that other teams watched video of this and have also subsequently exploited this weakness.
On a seperate topic, Cardiff as a team just seem to be going through a rough patch. Shots are wide of the net, Over the bar. An inch here an inch there. Martin, Linglet have been over playing the puck. Trying to force it. They have been unlucky but it will come together. The law of averages comes in here also.
I know its frustrating and I know that this team on paper should be performing to a much higher standard. I know some of you think it's a shitshow right now.
As frustrating as it is I think we should we all should have a little more patience. Andrew Lord knows what he is doing. He lives and breathes this club. I am confident that with hard work and the attention to detail that he has he will put the pieces together and they will be victorious.

ASHIPP

Something big is clearly affecting this team. What is it?

It is difficult to phathom out how a team that only made 5 changes to their roster this season can perform like they have never played together. Their performance has been in decline since the high profile CHL games. Domestic scene too mundane for them now?

I see a team low on confidence, disinterested (some players) and struggling in most games in the last few weeks. Some lines/partnerships have no chemistry or effectiveness. Players don't look happy.

What has helped save our season in the last 2 or 3 years is the decision to bring in experienced impact players at this time of year to steady the ship. Unless the current team can execute better defensive reponsibility, this surely now must be a consideration?

And leadership. Absolutely worship Joey Martin but is his genius being stifled by all his other responsibilities. Make him Club Captain..... Riley on-ice Captain?

Last edited:

Kevin roog

I wouldn’t have Riley as vice captain. I ask Belfast if they would have him back. And I send Masi back to his level. Cardiff fire perhaps. He’s been living on his hit from the first friendly, nothing since. In fact the only new signing I’d have back next season is McNamee, someone must have been on the vodka when recruiting this year

BostonBart22

unless we turn this around , we will finish 6th or below and good riddance to CHL ..which could be a blessing in disguise as we all know we are never gonna win it. in my mind some of these players only stayed for the hype of CHL and travelling being pampered hotels etc , now we are done in CHL they dont seem to care a toss playing in the EIHL or cup, this cant go on for long otherwise it will be curtains at the end of season for die hard fans. as i said in a previous post somethings not right behind the scenes, nowt on Kris leaving , what were the real reasons ulmer and MO left, some know some dont, all hush hush and that cant be good for the club and the players that are still here.. rant over .

Finny

I have given up this season until something has changed, I will not attend another devils home game and have teams take the piss out of us with no retribution.

No matter who we are play we concede goals for fun and everyone will make excuses.
Bye for now
I didn’t think anyone would be foolish enough to fall for your trolling (again) but looking on twitter and lots of non-Cardiff fans have :D:D:D