Ex devil to the NHL

ASHIPP

Wow that is an achievement. Remember he came with two of his former team mates - John Parco (who eventually became the Italian national team coach) and Dwight Parrish (who became Manchester player/coach).

Am I right in thinking the Devils came 2nd in the League that year? Weren't they eventually awarded top position by default when the Steelers were stripped of the title because of financial matters at Sheffield?

Mooney#16

Steelers bankrupted themselves to win it all. That said Devils did to compete so despite the hockey being brilliant that season marked the pinnacle of the arms race and subsequent downfall of the ISL I think.

Unreal team though. Up there as one of my favourites along with the inaugural ISL team and record breakers. All those teams had the ability to play hockey of a level no one else could match.

Mooney#16

If I’ve got my lines right it was

Thornton - Vez - Chasse
Ahlroos - Brigley/Paulson - Matulik
Parco - Moria - MacIntyre

Lots of injuries and swaps in there also with Jamie Hanlon and Ales Zima.

I get the ISL / EIHL comparisons but that is three powerhouse lines that would be outstanding in the EIHL. Would be a hell of a game if the two sides met that’s for sure.

Foxy

I loved Ales Zima.
Shame about the injury and also only having him for one season.
Chasse another brilliant player but yet another struck by injury:(

Mooney#16

The other thing I loved with that team and it was very much like this with the record breakers they played hockey first but if it turned into a gong show they could smash a team up with the best of them. Ware, Norris, MacIntyre and Chasse were all legit guys. And then there was Dwight Parrish. Great physical D man but lord help him in a scrap. He was still trying to work out how to get his gloves off by the time it was all over. Even Farmer could beat poor old Dwight.

terry hunt

Thread starter #9
I suspect that was part of our weakness.We werent known for self control in those days and lots of other players willing to fight anyone.