European hockey

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #1
Could someone tell me what are the qualifications needed to compete in european comps or is it like certain teams get invited to play? While Im here can anyone explain when and why penalty shots are awarded? I was at the exhibition game against the Blaze and Miller scored from a PS after the goal was originally chalked off and I was left confused :roll: Thanks in advance........

Gazza272

Traditionally the winners of the league have gone into the continental cup which is the ice hockey equivilent to the Uefa cup more or less .There was talk about changing the qualification for europe to the playoffs, but for now assume that whoever wins the league goes through to the Continental cup.

As for a penalty shot, if a player is through on goal 1 on 1 with the goaltender, if a defender breaks up a clear goal scoring chance then a penalty shot will be awarded. Because the penalty shot had already been awarded to Miller his goal was washed out as play had been whistled down.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #4
Cheers Gazza, much appreciated. I did think that was the reason a PS was awarded but I was at the home game against the Giants (2:1w) and a player was clearly slashed at when on a 1 on 1. The penalty was given but not a PS. A refereeing cock-up perhaps. It has been known......Thanks again fella. :)

Koop11

TheDevilTorn said:
Cheers Gazza, much appreciated. I did think that was the reason a PS was awarded but I was at the home game against the Giants (2:1w) and a player was clearly slashed at when on a 1 on 1. The penalty was given but not a PS. A refereeing cock-up perhaps. It has been known......Thanks again fella. :)
I could be wrong but I think a player has to be brought down through an infringement when one on one with the goalie for it to warrant a penalty shot. Also, I was of the understanding a player needs to be within the oppositions blue line when brought down. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyone know what's happening with the Champions Hockey League? Will the winners of the Elite League be involved in this or at least get to some sort of qualifying stage for it?

Gazza272

ledgend777 said:
Anyone know what's happening with the Champions Hockey League? Will the winners of the Elite League be involved in this or at least get to some sort of qualifying stage for it?

The Plans for expanding the Champions league of ice hockey have been scrapped by the IIHF for the time being, meaning no British teams will be invited to any stage of it within the foreseeable future.

TheStub

Which is probably a good thing, for the time being, considering how outclassed I guess we would be, and how many of the teams struggle to handle the costs of travelling within the UK.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #10
That said its great experience for the players especially the youth, and euro competition is always great. The travelling would be costly though, fair comment.