ESPN America

was on the phone to sky the other day because my sky+ box was playing up. asked about this and his (of the record response ) was, ESPN have put the money up for setanta, so things shouldn't change, just different owners.

Yeah, I heard that ESPN have now got the rights to the football that setanta had, all that is to be agreed is what type of package they are putting forward whether it is pay per view or get a couple of channels at in one package - like setanta was.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8109042.stm - Explains some things.

This is according to Digital Spy -
"ESPN America is in talks with other platforms about securing its distribution after the collapse of Setanta's operations in Great Britain this afternoon.

The channel is retailed as part of the Setanta Sports Pack on Sky and Virgin Media. Racing UK, another channel that was retailed by Setanta, said this afternoon that it would continue broadcasting as a standalone channel.

An ESPN spokesperson told Digital Spy: "We're speaking to other platforms and we're confident American sports fans in the UK and Ireland will be able to continue to see ESPN America."

ESPN struck a carriage and retail agreement with Sky yesterday for a new a la carte channel that will air its newly-acquired Premier League content."

Thread starter #7
I was watching sky last night...and where as before if you didnt have setanta you couldnt get ESPN, i pressed select on it and then ESPN came on, does this mean sky have now got the rights?

Spatzy said:
I was watching sky last night...and where as before if you didnt have setanta you couldnt get ESPN, i pressed select on it and then ESPN came on, does this mean sky have now got the rights?
Yeh, its now part of the News and Events package on Sky. If anyone doesn't already have it, you may aswell get it as its only £1 a month extra. For anyone with Virgin Media its £10 a month as a standalone channel.

Pity Setanta didn't go before the play-offs instead of after. :lol:

ESPN, ESPN America and ESPN HD! launched today i believe for £9 extra a month to Sky Sports subscribers ... £12 to non subscribers.

The HD costs no extra.

NHL in HD :D :D

According to Virgin today all ESPN channels are free to Virgin Media customers in August - but does this mean just August? will we have to subscribe from September? I only want to watch the NHL games anything else they broadcast especially football I dont watch so will not pay.

id guess that its kinda like a free trial sorta thing so i would suspect you would have to subscribe in september but hey i could be completely wrong. I cant survive without nhl and the football is a major bonus but for the record if you had nhl with the setanta package last year this package is cheaper