Enlighten Me

To be fair it’s no different to review sites like Tripadvisor. You’re 10 times more likely to leave a review if you’ve had a negative experience rather than an average/positive one.

kingmo19.1

Ok, just a quick question to you so called Devils fans, we win anganst the Panthers Saturday and three pages on the Inferno.
We win against Dundee tonight and it,s two pages on the Inferno so we lose against Belfast it,s eight pages. Point I,m making is it worth logging on when we lose as most I see on here are more interested in picking out individual players for under achieving or just slating the team. We are a great team as the trophy cabinet shows what we have achieved so stop criticising and get behind and support YOUR TEAM .... THE CARDIIFF DEVILS
Hey, you should read some of the Cardiff City forums after a loss! The Inferno is very tame in comparison my friend!

Gospel

They are told not to read it by the Devils management. A few still do however.
Knowing this, i find it more annoying than any posts or posters on here. The Inferno has a long history for the Devils especially when we were going through the tough & lean times. The guys who own & run it deserve a lot of praise for the crap they have to put up with especially as they put their own time & money into it.

The fact the the management tell players to not read it and have stoppd access to players is appalling. The club doesnt do any interviews to any great length or depth for new guys who join or for those who have been here a while to see what they are getting up to.

The access to players when the owners took over in that first season &the social media presence of the players was outstanding, now its virtually non existent. How many player interviews are put out each season nowadays?

Now the home games almost sell out each game they no longer feel the need to use the Inferno & now tell players to avoid it. What were the management/owners doing prior to the webcast? Reading MNL for updates! Now it doesnt suit their needs they want to get as far away from it as possible be the looks of it.

I wish the club would allow the Inferno access to the players again to do the interviews, get the background to the players & their history etc and stop blaming the inferno for posts they dont agree with as im pretty sure they are not stopping these same posters from going to the games.

pjj365

There is difference between giving interviews (and I agree I feel disengaged without them) and reading about your performance which at times used to get personal

Last season at one Q&A Todd asked us to respect the fact that players morale could be damaged by some of the comments then flying around. He also asked us to recognise that they have families who could have been hurt by the comments then being posted.

It does not seem to be as bad this season but I get Todd's reasons

Rich Best

Papers sell because of bad news not good news. Forums are rife with negative minded people who love to vent and criticise.

Just because this is the way it is doesn't make it right in my opinion also.

It is a pity that the devil's management have to tell players not to look at this forum. If the sentiment was more balanced then I am sure they would not have an issue with the forum. It is balance that is the main issue here.

Finny

Historically a loss has always generated more discussion than a win and a home game more than an away game. I've not checked patterns on other forums but I suspect we aren't unique in that.
A home game loss will always provoke more comment than an away win, especially a Scottish away game that few fans could get too. It's the nature of things and doesn't make anyone a 'so called' fan.
Not sure I agree with the home/away bit.
I remember in previous seasons the away threads would go several pages long after a loss. Even though very few posters actually saw the game (even with webcasts). The recent Nottingham away thread went to 6 pages.

As others have said, people have more to say when we lose. A fair bit of that is down to people thinking they know more about the sport than our coaches "If we'd done this we'd have won". Which of course you can't say when we have won.

I actually think this season hasn't been as bad as previous seasons on here so far. Mainly because in the past we had one particular poster giving out loads of criticism after every loss (and even some wins) despite the fact they clearly hadn't been at the game.

Ocko

And even though it's page upon page you can file most posts, from the same posters, into the same category - the fights solve everything category; saying how we arent physical enough, not enough fights, don't stick up for each other, it was better when we had Voth/Hendrikx, we get bullied - it is literally the reason 90% of our fans think we lose a game.

august04

And even though it's page upon page you can file most posts, from the same posters, into the same category - the fights solve everything category; saying how we arent physical enough, not enough fights, don't stick up for each other, it was better when we had Voth/Hendrikx, we get bullied - it is literally the reason 90% of our fans think we lose a game.
And that’s entirely their right to do so. Different opinions are what forums are all about, whether you think those opinions are right or wrong. If this forum was open to only experts in the game, there wouldn’t be many posting on here, if any!

Ocko

And that’s entirely their right to do so. Different opinions are what forums are all about, whether you think those opinions are right or wrong. If this forum was open to only experts in the game, there wouldn’t be many posting on here, if any!
Absolutely. And the differences in opinion are what make it interesting. It wasn't a slight on those opinions, more an observation as to why there are so many posts after a loss - it's all very knee jerk in the wake of a bad game.

Rich Best

If I was playing I’d still read the Inferno.Jeez the players are not kids who need telling what to and what not to read.

If their egos are that fragile perhaps it’s time to man up a little!
Psychology is massive in sport, anything that negatively impacts psychology (even to a small degree) should be cancelled out. A very good call from the management.

It is just a pity that a 'fans' forum is not more positive and that losses or a bad spell of games are so massively blown out of proportion by some 'fans'. It would be better if the general sentiment was more supportive after a loss or run of poor form.

I thought the atmosphere on Saturday made a huge difference to the team. I feel that the fans 'brought that' on Saturday, and the players stoked it up another notch by the intensity and effort they showed from the off.

We as fans can impact the psychology and performance of players, we have a responsibility. That should never be underestimated.

Chris

Administrator
Psychology is massive in sport, anything that negatively impacts psychology (even to a small degree) should be cancelled out. A very good call from the management.

It is just a pity that a 'fans' forum is not more positive and that losses or a bad spell of games are so massively blown out of proportion by some 'fans'. It would be better if the general sentiment was more supportive after a loss or run of poor form.

I thought the atmosphere on Saturday made a huge difference to the team. I feel that the fans 'brought that' on Saturday, and the players stoked it up another notch by the intensity and effort they showed from the off.

We as fans can impact the psychology and performance of players, we have a responsibility. That should never be underestimated.
Out of interest, why do you refer to fans who post negatively as 'fans'?

Does that make them any less of a fan? If they pay the same money to attend, or watch a webcast, or for a jersey, or for anything else but then post something that you deem to be negative on here, does that make them less of a fan?

august04

If I was playing I’d still read the Inferno.Jeez the players are not kids who need telling what to and what not to read.

If their egos are that fragile perhaps it’s time to man up a little!
Spot on. I wouldn’t want any player, whose mindset is adversely effected by what’s posted on a relatively mild Internet forum, in the trenches with me!

Last edited:

august04

Out of interest, why do you refer to fans who post negatively as 'fans'?

Does that make them any less of a fan? If they pay the same money to attend, or watch a webcast, or for a jersey, or for anything else but then post something that you deem to be negative on here, does that make them less of a fan?
Perhaps we can set up a separate “positive comments only allowed” part of the forum where no negativity is welcome and those who don’t wish to actively debate good and bad points/comments, can post to their hearts content and wallow in all things wonderful?! Just an idea....

JT666

Thankfully sport isn't played in a vacuum though, Rich Best.

You seem to be implying our players are so emotionally weak, that criticism of any sort when they are playing badly, renders the support when they are playing well as null and void. The solution you're proposing also seems to involve protecting professional sportsmen from any form of criticism, regardless of whether it's constructive or not. May I suggest that any players who really are as fragile as you suggest are probably in the wrong profession, or should seek the assistance of a sport psychologist.

Whilst I accept some people (me included at times!) like a good moan, fans are passionate, some more than others. Trying to dilute this passion, or even censor criticism, only succeeds in distancing fans from the club.

RedDevil17

Criticism comes with the job of being a professional athlete. If you can’t take negativity then don’t read the forum or just make a positive only thread which you can post in all the time. Great suggestion by august04. Sometimes you have to be negative. For example, the 8-1 battering by Belfast almost every poster was unhappy because they spent their hard earned money to watch that shambles, thankfully we’re playing better now but when posters on here give constructive criticism does that make them any less of a fan? Did you expect them to be happy?

Sometimes I can be a little negative on here which I’ll admit but I’ll still get behind the team. I go to every single game, I’ve bought a season ticket and I’ve bought a jersey. Even if others don’t are they any less a fan than me? No they aren’t. At the end of the day they’re still fans like you. I have no problem with you being a happy clapper because at the end of the day it’s your opinion (which I respect even though I may not agree with it) but please don’t have a pop at others for having theirs (be it positive or negative). As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing wrong with criticism as long as it’s not overboard.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

If im speaking to a person, at say a game and that person is in my opinion talking utter rubbish I’m going to be polite, not going to give my opinion, leave and avoid any future contact.
I very much doubt most of the comments on forums would occur face to face, you may know the person fully aware those comments come from little or no knowledge and experience or for fear of conflict. Although some Walters are so brazen.
It’s just a reflection of the society we live in, people often build a picture of their selves, like you find Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the fiction is greater than the reality, easier to sell fiction, few photoshopped touch ups, add someone else’s exotic photos, over indulge the fiction.
It would make a very entertaining evening if Todd & Lord took some players up to the bar for a post match night of entertainment. Read out some of the “post game analysis” written by members, the profesionals could then give out their opinion of the analysis.

JT666

If im speaking to a person, at say a game and that person is in my opinion talking utter rubbish I’m going to be polite, not going to give my opinion, leave and avoid any future contact.

It would make a very entertaining evening if Todd & Lord took some players up to the bar for a post match night of entertainment. Read out some of the “post game analysis” written by members. That might deter a few posters in future........
Just because you think someone is talking “utter rubbish” doesn’t necessarily mean they are wrong. Opinions are subjective, and that’s surely the appeal of a forum, it gives people with the same passion, but maybe differeing viewpoints, the chance to discuss them. Each to their own, but life can be rather bland living in an echo chamber.

Gospel

Out of curiosity do you listen to Lords post match interviews? He has said recently that the guys turned up at the rink and he could tell they werent ready to go, so should his negative comments be erased from history or not put out by the club? What about last year when the owners themselves werent happy with what was going, should they be erased also? What about Terry Phillips and his comments? The list can go on and on. Also, have you seen the posts about Faryna being missed & that spark he brings? A lot of the posts from fans here are stating just the same thing.

Fans, whether they post good, bad, moaning, unhappy comments are fully entitled to do so, they are fans & not ‘fans’. The atmospherre at the rink is built on numerous things, performance being just one.

Devils86

One thing that frustrates me with The Inferno (and maybe wider Devils/EIHL fans in social media) may actually be born out of the forum’s apparent reputation... (I say apparent because I don’t know)

And it’s this (it’s an exaggeration to demonstrate my point, which is ironic):

1 poster says something negative, maybe slightly negative, maybe reasoned or not.

3 posters (for example) take issue with the negative attitude but don’t argue the points raised.

Someone then summarises by saying all 4 are negative, couple more posters pile on agreeing.

Someone on Twitter says that all the Inferno posters are negative...

That translates into “all Devils fans are negative” all over Twitter.

It all escalates from one or two posters whereas the vast majority of posts (IMO) seem reasonable and sensible.

Exactly the same if someone says something tongue-in-cheek or slightly cocky.

Unfortunately that’s social media for you.