England v Wales Saturday

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
Hello, does anyone know if the rink are making provisions to put the game on in the bar prior to the hockey please?

There’s a very short turnaround between the rugby finishing and the hockey starting.

Kevlar68

Someone mentioned this before on here. I think they should, I would open. Any income at the moment is a bonus but staffing costs may be the issue.

Rempel16

Thread starter #3
Thanks. Seems a bit short sighted as many hockey fans are also rugby fans and it’s kind of a big game. The fixtures always used to take the six nations into consideration (used to love the Wales at 2pm, Devils at 7pm combo).

Kevlar68

Looking at capacity of bar I'd say 2 bar staff on but then you'd need security and ticket staff on door. If it was my bar I'd definitely open.
We've had to book in table in coffi co around the corner from arena to watch game.

Kevlar68

IAW missed a trick by not showing game.
Coffi co had about 40 devils fans in there watching it, all drinking quite a bit. Easily a £600 takings. Imagine what arena bar may have done with more fans. Ah well.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Just seems senseless not to open. They have a big screen, they have a bar, they have a captive audience due to Devils playing at 7pm and they don't open.
We saw so many late arrivals as we walked over from coffi co obviously due to watching the game first. If they had opened i am positive fans would have turned up.
Mind you i'm not sure if they got a sound system in bar. It's poorly run. They knew there was an auction and no PA system set up and music in the bar is from a HIFI in the corner of the room by the bar, very amateur hour.

Mazzoak

The only obligation was to build the IAW, there’s no money, motivation or incentive to keep it going. That’s not going to change, it’s to small to be a viable venue for anyone within the industry. The Devils and a few skaters is all it can bring in, chances are the Hifi is owned by a member of staff.

pjj365

I seem to remember 1 year when a game was shown in the bar and when doors opened the bowl. When warm up started the commentary was muted for music but the game continued to be shown.
It seems that in all the effort to survive the last couple of years corporate memory has been lost - or is it simply the TV Licence has not been paid