Elite Series

ASHIPP

The (Senior Men) Team GB eligible players need to be playing meaningful hockey. Some of the Devils are fortunate enough to be playing some hockey abroad but others, like Josh And Matthew have remained in the UK and played limited games.

If this tournament allows players to gear up for the World Championships (GB play Russia in first game BTW!), then I can stomach our guys wearing sky blue or black/gold for a few games (hopefully not orange). But it can't possibly be dressed up as an Elite League tournament because it clearly won't be.

pjj365

Great news that some sort of UK hockey will be played again, albeit without supporters.
It will be interesting to see how the rosters look, will guys like Josh Batch appear in one of the teams, will there be a reduction in the number of imports to twist the arms of the four involve to ice players from non competing teams?
8 imports apparently for a roster of 20. Teams keep,their existing Brits and other team Brits go into some sort of draft. So could see some NIHLers stepping up assuming Brits playing abroad don't want to take part or are contractually prohibited
Could be interesting as you say

pjj365

According to Twitter teams can protect 5 Brits the rest go into the draft
EIHL tweeted out asking for Brits not contacted by their clubs and wanting to be included to get in touch
Draft next week hosted by Todd

Ocko

Don’t get any of the negativity.

It’s giving around 50 British players a bit of income, prepares GB players for WC, gives the sport a platform and gets everyone talking about hockey again.

So what not every team is involved. I’m sure they were offered to be involved and I’m sure they are behind the 4 teams who are playing.

Diablo3

I'm fine with the competition, as others have said, at least the Brits are getting some ice time. I'm not sure where my allegiance would be with any of the four though, just not Orange

Wannabe2

I'm fine with the competition, as others have said, at least the Brits are getting some ice time. I'm not sure where my allegiance would be with any of the four though, just not Orange
Mine would be with the Storm as underdogs, It obviously wouldn’t be with Steelers , Panthers as the home team, no thanks, Blaze too much water under the bridge, so Storm it is.

moggy#9

8 imports apparently for a roster of 20. Teams keep,their existing Brits and other team Brits go into some sort of draft. So could see some NIHLers stepping up assuming Brits playing abroad don't want to take part or are contractually prohibited
Could be interesting as you say
Is a draft, of the kind used in North American sports, actually legal under UK employment law?

Wannabe2

If you want to hear more about this series go to YouTube, tap in Storm hockey is back, and Ryan Finnerty plus one other are going thru the whole process, it sounds pretty neat to be honest. 5/6 weeks of games, level playing field as wages will be the same at all clubs, a draft system, 8 imports with a 20 player bench, great news for GB. Good to see some hockey coming back, listen to it guys it’s pretty informative. Stay safe all.

CaldicotDevil

Is a draft, of the kind used in North American sports, actually legal under UK employment law?
Im guessing all players will be on a flat rate per game. Then the more popular ones might get topped up with sponsorship. I can't see it being like the IPL as its only a 5 week tournament.

I'm looking forward to the Brit draft probably more than the tournament. Our core Brits are getting older so be interesting to see how highly some of these clubs rate the younger Brits in the draft.

moggy#9

Im guessing all players will be on a flat rate per game. Then the more popular ones might get topped up with sponsorship. I can't see it being like the IPL as its only a 5 week tournament.

I'm looking forward to the Brit draft probably more than the tournament. Our core Brits are getting older so be interesting to see how highly some of these clubs rate the younger Brits in the draft.
But that's not really my point. Say a player was drafted by a team they didn't like our was inconvenient for them geographically, compared to somewhere else. Does the league have the legal right to restrict their employment?

Realistically the likes of Ritchie and duggan aren't going to come back for this.

Ocko

But that's not really my point. Say a player was drafted by a team they didn't like our was inconvenient for them geographically, compared to somewhere else. Does the league have the legal right to restrict their employment?

Realistically the likes of Ritchie and duggan aren't going to come back for this.
Yes they will because players will be aware of this before they decide to play or not and will probably be employed by the league rather than the clubs.

Do you really think any players will have massive objections to what team draft them? I imagine all would be grateful for a bit of ice time, money and a return to some normality. I can imagine one player would ever have issue because they ‘didn’t like a team’. They’re professional players, not fans.

Wannabe2

Totally agree, players want to play and get paid for it, on a level playing field that makes it far more interesting. Hopefully this is a win win situation for all concerned, and I will defo get the webcast, let’s do this.

moggy#9

Yes they will because players will be aware of this before they decide to play or not and will probably be employed by the league rather than the clubs.

Do you really think any players will have massive objections to what team draft them? I imagine all would be grateful for a bit of ice time, money and a return to some normality. I can imagine one player would ever have issue because they ‘didn’t like a team’. They’re professional players, not fans.
But the thing is that some players have jobs and family commitments outside of hockey. The commitments to train midweek and the like may come into their decision.

I have difficulty (and yes, I know I'm cynical on most things) in seeing this as anything more than a Micky mouse competition to put a tick in a box. Its value in preparing players for the world championships against countries where teams have been playing normally is questionable at best - though I'll admit probably better than nothing.

Rempel16

The employment issue isn't going to be an issue anyway to be honest - they're all going to be based at the same rink!
Not sure why they're even using the team names, may as well just call it Team A, B, C and D.

moggy#9

I think that separating it from team identities would have been a great idea. I suspect however that they may have had concerns about fan engagement and possibly conditions around getting the government money.

Wannabe2

Those who have jobs and can’t play, then can’t play so what, it’s still a move in the right direction for many reasons, it’s far more worthwhile than calling it Mickey Mouse, then saying it’s better than nothing.???. As for calling teams A B C D don’t think they would get a grant for that application some how.???

pjj365

Interesting interview with Ryan Finnerty - looks like he's not expecting players signed and playing overseas to come back. Also sounds like there'll be a salary cap
Draft is Monday so not long to find out

Sorry can't find the link now