Elite league - British players...

Thread starter #1
For those with more knowledge than myself...

As a way of spreading the British talent amongst the top-flight would the following work?
'Home grown' talent wages not counting toward the wage- cap.

If Lyle, having learned his trade in Cardiff, was to play for us (indeed this is partly where my idea comes from) his wages do not count toward the wage cap. If he plays for another elite league club, his pay does count toward the wage cap.

Would this just add to the imbalance of the 'bigger' clubs obtaining british talent or do you think it might help the smaller clubs hold on to their own guys? Are there clubs with non-existent / poor junior development that would suffer as a result? Would this place too much pressure on the less well-off clubs to plough money they don't have into junior development? Would this add to British players holding (their own) clubs to ransom?

Like I said, for those with more knowledge than myself (before people start jumping down my throat 'cos I've missed something obvious).

Seems to me to be trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

The talent is already pretty equally spread, at least between the "big 5" clubs so I don't see a big problem.

Also, despite not including the wages in the wage cap, you still have to pay them so for many teams it wouldn't make any difference as they simply pay what they can afford to.

Thread starter #3
Thought it was a bigger issue than that as only 6 of the named 23 GB players this year were playing outside of the 'top four', for example (I know not all of them are British though).

Like I said...I'm not up to speed on these things but was talking to a non hockey person about the number of imports in the UK game and came up with this (seemingly half baked) idea.