EIHL Officials

TheStub

Thread starter #1
This shows what is wrong with the officials we have in this country - or at least the system for maintaining the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mDi9hEqyGE

This has to be the most insane penalty I have ever seen in all my years of watching Ice Hockey. Tony says it all in the post game interview (included). The whole interview is in there, but about half way through they discuss the pen.

The uploader was too lazy to sort it any more :lol:

Gazza272

While it was a baffling penalty the EIHL are lucky they have any officials at all still working for them.

in any other league in any other sport Tony would be hauled up in front of a disciplinery for those comments, ditto Thompson who decided to throw half the skydome at Hicks the other week.

The ref isnt going to change his mind and we havent got very many of them as it is, Coaches though have no deterrents in commenting and hurling things at them at the moment which if i was a referee would find very dissapointing.

TheStub

Thread starter #4
The amazing thing is - if you look he didn't say anything.

I think he is in his rights to have a moan after. In other sports, the pundits would complain - and that keeps the officials straight. We struggle, because there is never a spot light on bad calls.

And yes, Thomo should have been dealt with for the stick thing.

Thommo gets away with a lot because he is by far the best coach in this league, plus he coaches GB and i dont think the league want him to leave as GB coach,

if he was to get fined etc he might jump ship to another league.

He has said a lot about Voth as well which were out of order but the leagye fail to act as Voth is to most hated player in the league

Gazza is quite right, but I think this situation has arisen due to a lack of accountability and professionalism.

Firstly, what other league's have professional players, but amateur referees? The league needs to train and pay these guys as professionals and only then will these problems begin to stop.

Secondly, referees can get away with being as terrible as they like, because they are never suspended etc. As a consequence they are not accountable for their inept display and have no respect or trust from the players - this makes for a very un-healthy situation IMO and is probably the reason coaches come out and make these comments. (In fairness to Thommo, I've heard him criticise the league's handling of refs)

I believe that the shortage of refs is more down to a lack of refs wanting to ref in this league than a basic lack of refs.

TheStub

Thread starter #7
We have so many examples of bad refs it is unreal - but there is no apparent control of them. You need to have some things out in the open, and discussions made about bad calls.

All the refs should know what calls they made were bad, and what calls were good. With all the matches being filmed, how much work would it be to review the tapes and circulate a top ten bad and top ten good calls every week or even month?

I know that it is asking a lot from volunteers, but if they want to ref at this level, we should make it look professional. Make refs for the Elite league the best of the crop, and make it be an aspiration.

Gazza272

TheStub said:
We have so many examples of bad refs it is unreal - but there is no apparent control of them. You need to have some things out in the open, and discussions made about bad calls.

All the refs should know what calls they made were bad, and what calls were good. With all the matches being filmed, how much work would it be to review the tapes and circulate a top ten bad and top ten good calls every week or even month?

I know that it is asking a lot from volunteers, but if they want to ref at this level, we should make it look professional. Make refs for the Elite league the best of the crop, and make it be an aspiration.

Other than that call on Hand there arent many games i watch as a neutral where i find the refereeing to be an issue.

On the whole our refs arent terribly bad, and i think due to the fans being on their side coaches use the referee excuse far to often. I have been very pleased that even in that Nottingham game where Dean smith lost control to the extent that Silverthron and cowmeadow got injured G never criticised him publicly.

You have to support your officials, it only takes two of them to walk away and we dont have a league to play in.

I think something needs to be done with the reffing. Although 90% of the time the refs make decent calls, but there is a number of penalties that go unnotticed. I dont think that the NHL approach of 2 refs is the answer, as they would just get in the way, but perhaps having a second ref on the sideline with radio contact to the ref on the ice, just to clear up any difficult desicions could solve this problem. Only a suggestion!

Something does need to be done about the refs, but you know witht this league nothing will be, to get 10 minutes misconduct for shaking your head is unreal, the ref would get penalised for something like that in football or rugby.
Im not saying he should be penalised, but we need to start paying a decent wage and training them up so that when ridiculous calls like that get made we can penalise them as there would be more refs around to do the job.