EIHL franchise expression of interest

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
I see that the EIHL is inviting applications for new franchises. I would expect to see Edinburgh and MK to try again, as well as possibly Leeds. I can't imagine there being many other possible sites, though I'm surprised that things have never taken off in Blackburn. As a side issue, the KHL are apparently looking at the UK for a franchise. Anyone have any views on that?

moggy#9

Thread starter #3
Would love to see Telford back in top flight, our rivals from the early years, fans talk about rivalries in this era but this team was up there with the best....
Their rink was horrible though, and I still haven't forgotten our supporters bus being followed down the M5 By the local police after the salmon incident and the walk off.

Last edited:

Diablo3

I'm sure it's been said before but we need a London team. Would generate a larger media interest. I'd also like to see something in Bristol. I used to skate there as a kid, before the old rink closed. Would make a great boxing day fixture.

And how about Swindon Wildcats, There must be something they can do with their pad to get more fans in

Tad-cu

Given their size, London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol and Newcastle should be able to support a team.
I’m sure Dublin was talked about a few years ago.

moggy#9

Thread starter #11
I'm sure it's been said before but we need a London team. Would generate a larger media interest. I'd also like to see something in Bristol. I used to skate there as a kid, before the old rink closed. Would make a great boxing day fixture.

And how about Swindon Wildcats, There must be something they can do with their pad to get more fans in
There's a plan to build a new 2 pad complex at Lee valley, but it's not clear how much capacity is have, and to be honest I don't think the location is right. I'm actually not sure that a stable London team can exist given the competition for people's cash and the heightened expense of running a team there. I don't think anything will happen in Swindon. The rink is too small and as it's council owned won't be extended. People in Bristol seem to want a new rink, and I think the rivalry would be brilliant, but their council seem to be very slow getting anything done.

I'm curious about KHL interest in putting a team in Wembley or in Reading. Reading would be a great site for an EIHL team given it could draw off old hockey fans in Slough, Basingstoke and Bracknell.

moggy#9

Thread starter #12
Given their size, London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol and Newcastle should be able to support a team.
I’m sure Dublin was talked about a few years ago.
Does Dublin have a suitable facility yet? Even if it did, I think that Brexit means that'll never happen. Liverpool and Brum could start a team very easily, but I think they might face problems in blocking out dates for fixtures in busy arenas. Brum should have a team, but given what a dump Solihull rink was, I'm not surprised they left for Coventry.

tim78

In fairness Edinburgh is a capital which struggled to compete at this level. I'd say that should be a focus to get back them in the league.

Would like to see a 2 league system of 12 teams (x2 12), with a cross over cup. Credit where its due, the eliteleague is a good product and the group has done well. Its been here a few seasons and is always look to improve.

Also instead of that 3rd place playoff spot, would be good to see a game for the lower league champions to play against the league's bottom.

Last edited:

doron

i use to like going to Bracknell in the olden days, (it won't be them moving through.) maybe Leeds and Murrayfield.

Diablo3

In fairness Edinburgh is a capital which struggled to compete at this level. I'd say that should be a focus to get back them in the league.

Would like to see a 2 league system of 12 teams (x2 12), with a cross over cup. Credit where its due, the eliteleague is a good product and the group has done well. Its been here a few seasons and is always look to improve.

Also instead of that 3rd place playoff spot, would be good to see a game for the lower league champions to play against the league's bottom.
They could go further, have a promotion / relegation playoff series of say three games between the champions of the NIHL and bottom club of the EIHL. You would have to marry up the import rules etc, but it would make hockey stronger as a result.

moggy#9

Thread starter #16
i use to like going to Bracknell in the olden days, (it won't be them moving through.) maybe Leeds and Murrayfield.
I used to like Bracknell. Terrible sight lines, but always a fun trip.
They could go further, have a promotion / relegation playoff series of say three games between the champions of the NIHL and bottom club of the EIHL. You would have to marry up the import rules etc, but it would make hockey stronger as a result.
I'm not sure that I agree with the idea of promotion relegation. It allows down new teams in good venues getting to the top (why would a team in a 10000 seat arena want to play against teams drawing relativly small crowds and with little media coverage) and failing to get promoted, or indeed getting relegated might have serious financial implications. Far better letting anyone with the facilities join the EIHL and keep the rest as feeders or farm clubs to bring the British talent through.

tim78

I wouldnt change the import rule for a play off game, think though the league could look to ensure the difference isnt to far stretched. 6 in the lower and 12 in the top, if then a bottom league team win that play off game then the deserve it and the organisation have got what they put in.

Temme

London will not support an EIHL ice hockey team in my opinion.

It's been tried a few times before; I think it's down to the shear size of the place & the areas all having their own 'thing', just look at the football teams as an example.

The NIHL has Streatham, London, Invicta, Bracknell, Chelmsford and to an extent Basingstoke.

I know basingstoke is further out, but is an option for fans looking to travel 'out' rather than 'in' to the capital.

KHL is a little different, as that would warrant a bigger arena, a bigger event in general i guess.

But for EIHL purposes, the Knights/Racers mk.3(?) wouldn't work as there is too much division in the capital.

Ocko

I think the venue is the issue more than anything in London. The London Knights did ok and drew in 3k-5k fans but it was in a 12,500 arena. That wasn’t their downfall however it was the sale of the arena and later demolishing that led to their demise rather than a lack of success. And that was in the days before social media became the biggest PR weapon. I’m no expert in London but I don’t think there is an arena suitable in the perfect 5-7k capacity category.

Temme

I think the venue is the issue more than anything in London. The London Knights did ok and drew in 3k-5k fans but it was in a 12,500 arena. That wasn’t their downfall however it was the sale of the arena and later demolishing that led to their demise rather than a lack of success. And that was in the days before social media became the biggest PR weapon. I’m no expert in London but I don’t think there is an arena suitable in the perfect 5-7k capacity category.
that's interesting to know, i had no idea.

I suppose the desired size is quite tricky, ice rinks in general are not around the magic 3k-7k capacity in general in the UK,

and also, arenas that are around that capacity would rarely think "professional ice hockey team" ahead of other potentially more lucrative things!

Belfast struggle around it playing 20** home games in a row last year just after they'd already played 20** consecutive away ones.

** made up figures, it wasn't that dramatic i know.