EIHL 10 team event

Earnie

Terry, I am a bit underwhelmed by the proposal.
Maybe I am not fully understanding what they are trying to achieve other than not having to give us a refund?

Pipe dream i am sorry to say. Do they honestly believe that there will not be restrictions on mass events at the beginning of September.

A low key start to hockey would be most likely

Temme

Terry, I am a bit underwhelmed by the proposal.
Maybe I am not fully understanding what they are trying to achieve other than not having to give us a refund?
Read the article:

"Rivalries will be renewed as five “extra” games are added to the league programme. Normal game points will be up for grabs at the Magic 5. Ideally, Playoff Finals tickets will work as mini-season tickets for the new event and cover the entire weekend. Later on, individual game or day tickets may be added to the availability. An opportunity to claim a refund on POFW tickets will also be added to the mix."

Taken from the last paragraph: https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/735-10-team-event-in-pipeline-as-eihl-looks-to-2020-21

I don't like the sound of it, i'll be opting for a refund for sure given there's no silverware up for play, but i completely understand.

POFW has huge financial implications for the league - they use the money to essentially pay the refs for the entire season (apparently) - NOT running some sort of weekend is simply not an option, that's what they're trying to achieve :)

Diablo3

The thing is, POFW is a very expensive weekend. If there is nothing at stake other than league points, I'm not sure it's worth it. At this point I'm undecided, but I would probably go for a refund and watch Freesports as they would almost certainly cover it.

E.D.S.

I’d prefer a playoff weekend but I also like the idea of seeing the Scottish teams clash or a Sheffield v Nottingham game that I wouldn’t normally get to see. Nothing will match the POFW but fair play for trying.
Bought tickets for the Nottingham away game and not heard from the panthers about a refund (has anyone else) so credit to our organisation for jumping on it so quickly

Wannabe2

Perhaps I am being stupid here, which isn’t unusual but if these games are to count as league games points wise, if Flyers play Storm who is the home team as that team now loses a home income plus home game advantage for points, and the other team dont, as the league progresses. Hope fully this makes sense

Kevlar68

What a shower of S**T. That's a terrible idea and again they still have to offer refunds as the dates may not be suitable for some.
Just refund all POFW tickets without requests and start again. That would be so much easier.
I paid for a POFW, if i'm not getting a POFW then a refund is needed.
If i paid to see the Foo Fighters but it was cancelled and then offered me tickets for a Foo Fighters cover band its the same thing, i didn't pay for a cheap imitation, i'd want a refund.

Last edited:

Diablo3

What a shower of S**T. That's a terrible idea and again they still have to offer refunds as the dates may not be suitable for some.
Just refund all POFW tickets without requests and start again. That would be so much easier.
I paid for a POFW, if i'm not getting a POFW then a refund is needed.
If i paid to see the Foo Fighters but it was cancelled and then offered me tickets for a Foo Fighters cover band its the same thing, i didn't pay for a cheap imitation, i'd want a refund.
I think they did say refunds would be available. My personal preference would be to carry it over to next years POFW, then I don't need to get up at silly o'clock to queue for tickets.;)

Kevlar68

I would prefer like you just roll over tickets to 2020/21 POFW but they want us to pay again for that and keep the money for this seasons.
I know a refund has been offered but then its when you can apply for it, then they will have a deluge of people contacting them and others may accept the game option, isn't just a across the board refund the easiest way to deal with it?

Rempel16

Seriously... What's not to enjoy? All 10 teams kicking off the weekend with league points at stake - therefore adding a competitive element. A chance to see every team, beers in the sun around the games. After more than 6 months without hockey will be an ideal weekend to kick things off.

To add, at least every fan guarantees seeing their team too, rather than paying in blind faith when your team might not even get there.

Better that than the league process tonnes of refunds then realise they don't have enough money to cover officials for the season etc. So if it's this or no league at all then even more so.

Kevlar68

I was actually joking with you but i shall respond, uh hmm!

So firstly beers in the Sun, since when has UK weather been that predictable.
Not every fan will see their team, Viola holds 3100 and first game of season is always a Hell Out! For the POFW we got 1200 seats i think so that means 1800 fans WON'T see their team (taken 100 out for away fans).
Then as wannabe has stated the Viola will lose home revenue.
As for the money to cover officials if like other sports the officials would be paid from the game they are officiating not just from one weekend, they're not on mega bucks.
The league makes money for the league through the regular season, challenge cup and maybe some from European ties, the existence of the EIHL doesn't depend on just the play offs, that's a nice little bonus at the end of regular season.

Rempel16

Ok.... I'll bite.

- September is traditionally an excellent month in the UK weather wise, but if you want to be as pedantic as that..... Beers with family / friends. That better?
- You missed the point about every fan seeing their team. (although based on your first response i suspect you're trying to be pedantic again). A POFW (and I love this weekend) is something you buy tickets for in good faith and then hope your team makes it. At least with this option all of the teams will be playing so everyone who has a ticket WILL see their team. (I will put in a disclaimer that this is based on them supporting an Elite League team and not another leagues team - just pre-empting your response).
- I don't see how the VIOLA will lose home revenue when this is being touted as an ADDITIONAL game, and therefore not actually affecting any teams number of home gates.
- Fair enough. I'll concede that the officials will get paid.
- It's pretty well known that the money generated on the POFW compared to a regular gate has a significant impact on some clubs' abilities to survive so by all means let's just let that go - and if teams don't survive, or if the on-ice quality of the league diminishes drastically, at least we can be content in the knowledge that this weekend wouldn't have mattered.

Kevlar68

No need to bite as no bait was given. I was giving a opinion with my response, i wasn't being pedantic.

But the main point i think is the POFW is an expensive weekend without a doubt, tickets, travel, accommodation, food, booze and spends but there is silverware up for grabs at the end of it and a great way to finish off the season, this weekend they are proposing is just league games with points, is it worth that expense?

Last edited:

Rempel16

I agree with Kevlar, while I do agree the 10 team (so long as they all survive) idea sounds fun, it's a lot of money to watch my team play once.
That's fair enough. So by that logic, if the Devils don't make the POFW, would you still go or sell your ticket? Its a lot more money to not see your team play at all.