Early face off times

Kevlar68

Any club in any sport will only do something that will enhance the club. I've never seen any club do something intentionally to make the club worse, why would they? I myself am not a season ticket holder as not in the country till November so 4pm or 6pm makes no odds to me and i spend my time between living in Swansea and Cardiff during the winter so my travelling times also change but still for me either is fine.

As long as its not every every Sunday game switches to 4pm then lets roll with it and see how it goes.

osh

I would 100% agree that TK should not receive insults via emails, The Inferno or twitter. I for one have never doubted his sincerity, integrity or the amount of hard work he continues to achieve in order to raise the already very high standard of the club. We are sincerely indebted to him along with our owners and Devils staff and players.

Here is a simple question however, do you think he should have mentioned these early face offs during the off season. He says he has conferred with the fan council, spoken to various fans, but let’s face it, wouldn’t it have been an ideal opportunity to mention this in a couple of programmes just before the end of the season or on the main website. I think that would have satisfied 99.9% of fans and would have avoided the reaction it has provoked.

Mazzoak

Just read Todd’s response.
It’s only 2 season ticket games, not even worth any attention, hmmm, Todd seems to have learnt little, misjudged fans or, as is prerogative, has ignored the 50/50 feed back he got.
What puzzles me is changing the FO times on only 3 games, he failed to explain how that will have any impact on future fan growth. I don’t get why 3 games is worth all this hassle, surely. New fans will have to attend the later FO times, so why change ?
I’m assuming those 3 games will have “invited” groups that have requested 4pm FO times, but it’s an assumption.
The fan base hasn’t had issues growing in Cardiff over the years, what impacted attendance numbers was owners and their business methods. We’ve all experienced the warm glowing friendly PR from businesses wanting your money, suddenly the success turns that warmth to ice. The customers should be great full or leave attitude I’d hoped was from the past and not a taste of future.

Last edited:

august04

I would 100% agree that TK should not receive insults via emails, The Inferno or twitter. I for one have never doubted his sincerity, integrity or the amount of hard work he continues to achieve in order to raise the already very high standard of the club. We are sincerely indebted to him along with our owners and Devils staff and players.

Here is a simple question however, do you think he should have mentioned these early face offs during the off season. He says he has conferred with the fan council, spoken to various fans, but let’s face it, wouldn’t it have been an ideal opportunity to mention this in a couple of programmes just before the end of the season or on the main website. I think that would have satisfied 99.9% of fans and would have avoided the reaction it has provoked.
Spot on Osh. All it would have taken was for the club to say back in April, that we’re trying 4pm face offs for 3 or 4 Sunday games next season. That needed to be said beforehand, especially after their previous statement saying they would not be changed in the future without season ticket holder consultation. Nobody can then moan as it’s crystal clear what the club are trying to achieve and fans can then decide whether it effects them or not. It’s not rocket science.

Ocko

An interesting point I’ve seen elsewhere; people bought season tickets without knowing a single fixture date. I mean those early faceoff dates could’ve easily been midweek games, and possibly even more people would’ve been unable to make it... but no one would’ve batted an eye lid. Strange.

august04

An interesting point I’ve seen elsewhere; people bought season tickets without knowing a single fixture date. I mean those early faceoff dates could’ve easily been midweek games, and possibly even more people would’ve been unable to make it... but no one would’ve batted an eye lid. Strange.
But there’s always one or two midweek games every year, sometimes more with CC QF/SF games, not something that we’re not used to.

Earnie

Those who threw insults at Todd should take him up on his offer. Get your cash back on the season ticket (and watch some other sport ) and not embarrass us on Inferno any more.
It is shameful that Todd was put in a position that he had to write that statement.

( I have my flak jacket on haha)

august04

Those who threw insults at Todd should take him up on his offer. Get your cash back on the season ticket (and watch some other sport ) and not embarrass us on Inferno any more.
It is shameful that Todd was put in a position that he had to write that statement.

( I have my flak jacket on haha)
How do you know it was people on the Inferno who insulted Todd? There are plenty of other ways on social media to do that and I can’t say I’ve seen any personal insults on here. Every poster who disagreed with the 4pm face offs stated a reasoned case in the thread on the forum and have also condemned any personal abuse aimed at club members of staff.

I’m figuratively newcomer, to this forum and the devils, 2nd season as a season ticket holder. I work away and on occasion over the last year or so I can’t make it to every game, I suspect it’ll be the same this year. I cannot though get my head around the fuss some people have kicked up over 3 games for what is essentially the club you love trying to look after its long term future and that of the EIHL by engaging young families. Some children do have short attention spans but being involved in the culture from a young age will only lead to young people growing with the club. How many of you had the attention span to follow every play in professional sports match when you were that young? I certainly didn’t but if my family had been into the sport I can assure you I’d have been a season ticket holder for the last 15 years as opposed to 2. It’s 2018, not 1986. Times change and the fan base has and will continue to change in what is a growing, all be it, minority sport. You bought a season ticket WELL before fixtures were confirmed, the sense of entitlement is astonishing. Surely your season ticket is about belonging and commitment to your club over getting 3-4 games free and some sense of finacial savvy?

Chris

Administrator
How do you know it was people on the Inferno who insulted Todd? There are plenty of other ways on social media to do that and I can’t say I’ve seen any personal insults on here. Every poster who disagreed with the 4pm face offs stated a reasoned case in the thread on the forum and have also condemned any personal abuse aimed at club members of staff.
Ah but it's much easier to blame the 'people' on the forum than it is to say something directly on Twitter isn't it.

We've been tagged in a few things blaming the forum for all of the negativity and whatever has been sent to Todd, apparently the bear pit that is Twitter doesn't exist or these folk just choose to ignore the messages there.

But maybe that's the problem, we've chosen to pretty much allow any view point on here for the last 10 years, for good or for bad. On Twitter I guess you can just unfollow the opinions you don't want to see

There’s always a pretty even split every year between Saturday and Sunday night fixtures. So not difficult at all.
The point is though they haven’t been negotiated and confirmed, assumption on the behalf of the buyer is their responsibility. Your season ticket is based on the condition you will have certain access to the same seat for every home game, that’s all. You being in that seat at puck drop is your responsibility.

This is just embarrassing- that Kelman had to release such a statement shows how much people lack perspective. I am becoming ashamed to be a Devils fan as we seem to have the whingeist fan base in the league. I get the sense that the more the on ice product improves the unhappier some people are because they lose a sense of the club owing them something.
If anything would put me off going to Devils games it is this atmosphere of entitlement. I wish all those people who threaten to tear up their ST if the IAW stops serving their favourite meat pie would just do it, and leave the rest of us to enjoy great hockey.
This is also why clubs stop involving fans in decision making and put distance between them - because people think they own the club.
I bet Steve, Todd and the whole team must wonder why they bother at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BostonBart22

Yes did notice after my post.......oops...on another point I believe the first challenge cup final at the IAW was 4pm fo. How many moaned about that...answers on a postage stamp please...and great post from Todd..

Kipper

Well TBF you can’t say fairer than that.

I get why people who have bought season tickets might have a bit annoyed having the 4pm FO time dropped on them after paying up front for tickets.

Personally I’m not a massive fan of the 4pm FO idea.

But TK has explained his reasoning very well in that statement and the key paragraph at the end shows the integrity of this club

‘I am genuinely shocked at any fan that has taken the time to message me insults or questioned my integrity so after the above explanation, if you still feel that 2 early face-offs are worth walking away from this club that you say you love, just email me directly – tk@cardiffdevils.com - and I will be happy to refund your season ticket‘

They are offering full refunds to anyone who is unhappy or feels they have been lied to etc. I wonder how many people will take this up? I’d be amazed if it as much as a hand full and wouldn’t be surprised if it was none.

And I’m quite speechless at the fact that people have been sending TK etc abusive e-mails....could it have been communicated better? Probably yes. But to send the man abuse is ridiculous. If that was anyone who is reading this then give your head a wobble.
They won’t have the bollocks to meet him and ask him face to face