Early face off times

Chris

Administrator
Wouldn't this have been a perfect thing to raise with the fan council?

If it even still exists/runs? Anyone know if that did happen?

I can see both sides, but I just don't understand why the club change their mind after season tickets are on sale?

august04

In my opinion, the fan council was a load of old balls, formed to make the fans think we were being listened to. The repeating of this face off time fiasco, without the consultation/feedback loop from season ticket holders - which Kelman stated would explicitly happen before any future face off time changes - suggests that the club will do as they please. That’s fine but I’m sure those effected will remember this when it’s time to renew next year.

Diafol

4pm Sunday isn't really a problem for me but some Saturday nights are.

I've worked out I'm going to miss at least 5 games this season due to Saturday commitments so not ideal, but then you can't please all of the people all of the time.

pjj365

This raises a broader question apart from Todd breaking a promise

What is going on? No Icetime interviews of new signings, Jr Devils promised interviews - 1only. Steve King leading the PR charge (his contribution on here)

I fully accept that this is a business and we fans have no rights but august04 is right except it is not just this storm in a teacup that will be remembered going forward

The mantra "ignore your core market at your peril" is apposite here

voth26

Here's my thoughts on the club this season, and I'm prepared to get flamed. The club seems to have forgotten about its customer ie us the paying fans irrespective of if your a ST, a walk up fan, a newbie we all pay. The club has apparently stopped player access by the inferno, changed some FO times after people have renewed ST's. Poor communication regarding player signings, the way they have dealt with personal leaving whilst this is their perogitive, for me I feel that due to how successful we've become in 4 yrs the club has become arrogant in its approach to things. As you climb and become successful it's just as easy to fall back down the ladder and without it's paying customers ie us fans the club irrespective how many trophies or quality players won't last long playing to a reduced fan base.

Ocko

This raises a broader question apart from Todd breaking a promise

What is going on? No Icetime interviews of new signings, Jr Devils promised interviews - 1only. Steve King leading the PR charge (his contribution on here)

I fully accept that this is a business and we fans have no rights but august04 is right except it is not just this storm in a teacup that will be remembered going forward

The mantra "ignore your core market at your peril" is apposite here
I kinda agree with this. Signing news is a bit flat because we don’t get Lordo’s take on it like in previous years. I don’t read the articles on the website at all, what happened to his interviews with icetime, they were really good and informative. Except a bit of twitter banter between the Devils and other clubs, posts by Steve and tweets by the owners are the only real PR coming out.

august04

I tend to agree with voth26. Perhaps because we’re winning everything, there appears to be a degree of arrogance creeping into the way the club is run. This off season has been bizarre compared with previous years, with very little fan engagement, several key departures, now going back on a promise not to change face off times without fan consultation, playing silly buggars with the Inferno, a complete overhaul (except Gazza!) of well respected and liked IcetimeTV front men (that may not be down to the club though, I have no idea what’s behind that) etc etc. We know Steve King is a regular visitor here and value his fan engagement. Steve, if you read this, what is going on?

CaldicotDevil

I kinda agree with this. Signing news is a bit flat because we don’t get Lordo’s take on it like in previous years. I don’t read the articles on the website at all, what happened to his interviews with icetime, they were really good and informative. Except a bit of twitter banter between the Devils and other clubs, posts by Steve and tweets by the owners are the only real PR coming out.
Don’t really think the signings announcements have been bad. We’ve been thinking outside the box fair bit with the Pope mascot signing, the Moore/Oliver twist video and devils PR trying periscope for the signings at the Calgary submit worked well. I’ve much preferred our quirky signings announcements compared to the “Set your alarm for 6.00am” approach.

Coventry have won the EIHL social media signings awards this off season, they been class.

Social media’s outcry must’ve been heard today, and you gotta give Todd credit he’s never been shy to admit he was wrong in the past and revert decisions back.

RedDevil17

Jeez - this has got a bit heavy going over less than a handful of games starting a bit earlier?
You’re completely missing the point. People have a right to argue about this because loyal fans have payed their hard earned money to get a season ticket and support their beloved club just for them to be told AFTER they’ve bought the season ticket that certain games are starting at 4pm, some of which people are working or people are in college/school/university. You say ‘it’s only a handful of games’ yet they are still games which are included in the season ticket that they might not be able to go to. I get the frustration as to why fans are very annoyed about this and in my opinion, they have every right to be. Fan interaction has been a joke this offseason apart from Steve King coming on here every now and again, to his credit. The devils organisation as a whole clearly haven’t taken the fans into account here and have focused more on themselves. Very arrogant. The so-called ‘fan council’ haven’t exactly done much either! What’s the point in having it if we as fans don’t receive the feedback from what is being discussed in these so called ‘meetings?!’ Very selfish from my point of view. As jimmy snels has said ‘if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it!’

Last edited:

Foxy

What makes it worse the same was done last year after season tickets had been paid for and was reversed after an outcry but the same thing has happened yet again.
It doesn't really affect me but it's the principal. Kind of like moving the goalposts.

For the record I've missed the Lord and player interviews by Icetime TV and the player interviews on the Inferno. Saw the junior interview but not for me. More suitable to maybe a kids corner.

Off season has been a little strange when compared with previous years. Maybe everyone needed a complete break after the efforts of the season or maybe the club has decided to take a different approach to PR/fan engagement. If the latter, then I believe it is a shame as the relationship built with the fanbase has been very successful and played an important part in the Devils 'new era'. There will always be change and as any business, they have a right to make these changes , but a lack of communication or contact with your customers especially as it was once your strong point, is disappointing. We wait to see what happpens in a few weeks, I really hope we can hear from Lordo after games and get to feel a part of things again.

Have Hope#35

I know a lot of parents won’t share this view, in much the same way a lot of parents won’t admit their presence is annoying.
I wasn’t aiming at you as l stated I’m all for children, of a certain age, who’s interested in the game. My point was aimed at the parents who’s father loves the game, the mother tolerates it because it’s time spent with hubby, who’s likely worked all week, spent most of the weekend tired, she drags the kids along because their bonding, albeit with uninterested daddy. Several games have had the pleasure of experiencing the stress and strain of some fans personal lives whilst trying to enjoy a game.
Why oh why is PR so lacking in these matters, engaging with fans is and has been poor for a while. Is the fan council still a thing, or just showboating interest that isn’t there.
I appreciate you weren't aiming it at me which is why my response was polite... but you mentioned Children of a certain age being ok to go, I assume a child of 2-5yrs wouldn't necessarily fall into that bracket!? There are a lot of fans who fall into the disinterested bracket, unfortunately we can't go banning them all. Work Outings, School Outings, Cubs, Scouts, Girl Guides, the Newbie before a night on the lash, bringing along Friends or Family for the first time - these are all groups of people who may find themselves disinterested, they're also the reason we are sold out most weeks... unfortunately we have to take the rough with the smooth as whilst some of them may not enjoy it others may one day become season ticket holders or regulars! As for the fighting... my son knows that behaviour like that is contained to an arena such as Ice Hockey or Boxing, again it's personal choice.

Sliput

Why are people shocked at this ? It was nearly trialled in the past but then cancelled. The club HAVE to try new things to take the club forward. I understand it affects a few people ( I will miss midweek games) but unfortunately the club are doing /trying new approaches which will no doubt benefit the club in the future.

For people saying it will hurt attendances being so early - Nottingham don't seem to have problems with their 4.15 Sunday face offs.

I'm sure the people who can't make the 4pm face off games will be taken by other devil's fans.
We sell out every week and people are always looking for tickets so I can't see the problem tbh.

It's not like we will have half the attendances.

I can still see 2800 or more no matter what time face off is

august04

Why are people shocked at this ? It was nearly trialled in the past but then cancelled. The club HAVE to try new things to take the club forward. I understand it affects a few people ( I will miss midweek games) but unfortunately the club are doing /trying new approaches which will no doubt benefit the club in the future.
Because after last time they tried to do this, Todd Kelman explicitly stated that face off times would not be changed again until all season ticket holders were consulted and feedback given. That hasn’t happened unless the fan council has given the go ahead on our behalf. That’s why it has come as a surprise this time. The real point is, they can change whatever they want, I have no problem with that - but tell people of the changes before they commit to buying a season ticket. That’s the crux of the issue here and was the problem last time too. I can’t believe the same thing has been repeated albeit only for 3 games this time.