Early face off times

Just seen the early face off times and this means that my friends who work on Sundays can’t make the games. Disappointed to be told this so late and now looking into a refund for our season tickets (the 3of them). I understand they want to attract families but what about all the fans who work in retail on a Sunday? I’ve emailed Todd and Katrina so hopefully they will of thought of this problem when looking at early face offs.

Kevlar68

Hmmm, Not sure about the 4pm. For some families Sundays are visiting days when they go out and see relatives or maybe go out for lunch. Even if neither of these Sunday lunches will have to be earlier for many. If we ever sit down together for a Sunday lunch at home or out its usually around 2-3pm. Bit of a rush after that to get to game.

Disappointed with the fixture list far to many Saturday games also don’t like the early games on Sunday. I will have to rethink about my season ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaldicotDevil

It's not all bad news,

This years Devils season ticket should've covered 32 game = 28 league games, 3 CC games & 1 CC QF.

If you look at the fixture list on the devils website we're actually getting 34 games = 30 league games, 3 CC games & 1 CC QF (Not confirmed but I can't see them taking it away from season ticket holders)

pjj365

This was done to death on here a couple of years ago when it was announced at a similar late stage. Todd apologised and reversed the decision!!!!

To me it makes mixed sense but I envisage

Empty seats where ST holders can't make it but being sold can't be resold - unless an unconditional buy back is introduced (buy back whether or not it is a sell out)
Some regular walk ups will not be able to make it. This may be covered by the families Todd refers to but could be swapping adult revenue for child tickets or could just be lost sales - who knows

The makes sense bit is - if this attracts new young families then it makes sense even if there is a short term loss of revenue

august04

For me it’s not a problem but it might be for many and I think this should have been communicated before season tickets went on sale. Devils management can do whatever they like but people bought tickets on the understanding that all Sunday games would start at 6, as has been the case for years. If that’s changing and people can’t make those 3/4 games, then maybe a season ticket wouldn’t be the right option for them. Management usually have done the right thing but this is very poor communication in my opinion.
Youd' think Kelman would have learned from the last time he tried to do this and at least informed the fanbase before they bought their season tickets. Don't move the goalposts after people have shelled out their hard earned cash. Also, never particularly noticed a lack of families/kids at the rink on Saturdays or Sundays. It's like a bloody crèche there at times!
At the very least, for those 3 games, the buy back scheme should be extended for season ticket holders who can't make those games, to refund the full ticket value for those games, rather than the fiver or whatever it is now. You'd think the fan council might have given us some advance warning on this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Not a fan of this, it’s nice to get at the rink 1hr before face off and soak up the atmosphere and see friends, that now means getting there at 3pm, which means far too much rushing around with dinner, work etc. Also you will be on your way home about 6-30, feeling like you haven’t been out. I do understand there’s always two arguments to this, and thinking of future fans, but as we nearly always sell out, if it ain’t broke.Also down the bay it’s far busier with swimmers, water rafting etc at 3-4pm so parking will be harder. I can also see most fans arriving at the same time having rushed, then queuing to get in pouring with rain, blowing a gale, it can get very wild down the bay as we all know. Sunday should be a leisurely day, not one big rush, sorry it’s a great big NO for me.

Jonesy83

Not a big fan of this idea....firstly car parking / traffic will be an even bigger nightmare as Morrison’s will still be trading.

As people have mentioned, they may still be in work at 4pm on Sundays (sadly in this day and age the vast majority of people now work Sundays, myself included).

I remember this being announced a couple of seasons ago and then back tracked on very quickly when season ticket holders started asking for refunds (although that was for every Sunday game not just 4).

The biggest mistake the club have made on this IMO is only saying about it now, surely plans must have been in place to trial this long before today.

Season ticket holders should have been told before they purchased their seats. If 4pm on a Sunday is no good for them are they just expected to miss 4 games and not be upset about it.

At the very least if the 4pm face offs are here to stay, I hope they offer those season tickets holders a refund for those games if they can not make it, whether the rink is sold out in advance or not.

Last edited:

davew

Agree that ST holders should have been advised BEFORE ST renewal.

A 4pm face off is ridiculous!!!

So for a 4pm face off doors open 3pm, bang in the middle of swimming etc....we all know how parking has been problematic, and this surely will rule out parking in Morrisons?

For people outside of Cardiff - some travel a good distance - it will mean leaving at lunchtime or just after.

For goodness sake stop fiddling with our face-off times!

Ocko

4pm works at most other teams. And other sports for that matter.

We had extra games on the season ticket included because of the difference in number of teams. So actually, if you miss the 3 of the 4 early face offs (one is New Year’s Day) you aren’t actually worse off.

We may sell out but it is evident Todd wants to grow the fan base. We have probably in the region of 3500 fans in total, by opening it up to another audience (younger people and those who travel longer distances) the fan base has the potential to grow further. It’s all about reach, as that is what sponsors will look at. Also we need a bigger fan base for the eventual time we move elsewhere to somewhere bigger. We can’t sit still and be content with our current business model.

Ocko

And just for a bit of perspective; the only teams who play at 6pm every Sunday are Guildford and Fife. Every other team is either 4pm or 5pm - having previously all been 6pm within the past few years.

august04

And just for a bit of perspective; the only teams who play at 6pm every Sunday are Guildford and Fife. Every other team is either 4pm or 5pm - having previously all been 6pm within the past few years.
Are you a season ticket holder?
If so and it doesn't effect you - well then you're lucky.
I can work around it with a bit of hassle but far from ideal, so I guess I'm relatively lucky too in that I may still be able to make those games.
But there are others who bought season tickets months ago, who will not be so lucky and who now have this change communicated to them after the event. That's not right. As I've stated previously, the Devils can do what they like, it's their prerogative, but do the decent thing and communicate it to fans BEFORE season tickets go on sale so that each individual fan can then decide whether a season ticket is still right for them. Not after the money has been taken.

ASHIPP

Having literally renewed my season ticket two weeks before the deadline, I will now be consisering a full refund - I dont finish work until 4.30 when I work on a Sunday (usually every fortnight) and I usually take my Dad as he isn't supposed to drive on his own....also a season ticket holder. Potentially going to miss a few games here.
. Why wasn't this change considered earlier? The STs were bought (in full) on the assumption that we could actually attend ALL games at sensible faceoff times.