Drew Schiestel Signs

KaneDevils

Great signing. I think everyone could see we needed this. Once again the management respond positively to the challenges in front of them. Can't fault the commitment they show to this club.
Don't think anyone has questioned their commitment, and would be foolish to do so.
Great addition to the roster, should give everyone a boost, and with 2 good wins on the bounce, things are looking good. Could be a great season this year in terms of the battle for the title. Big game Wednesday. Can't wait.

Whilst it is nice to have a well needed addition to the roster, I'm underwhelmed to be honest!

Parisi - Blood >>>> Mosey - Schiestel

I can't see Schiestel having the skating ability/size or toughness of Blood but will have to see his positioning/skillset - at the moment I'm thinking that this is a downgrade in multiple areas though.

As a side note, I think Parisi would have been a superstar in this league. Mosey coming off a bad injury and wasn't wanted back in Nottingham...

Definitely downgraded, and also lost a load of size/toughness. Gutted.

bdevil

Whilst it is nice to have a well needed addition to the roster, I'm underwhelmed to be honest!

I can't see Schiestel having the skating ability/size or toughness of Blood but will have to see his positioning/skillset - at the moment I'm thinking that this is a downgrade in multiple areas though.

As a side note, I think Parisi would have been a superstar in this league. Mosey coming off a bad injury and wasn't wanted back in Nottingham...

Whilst you might be correct in saying that the 2 new guys are a downgrade I think we need to look at it a different way. We never had parisi, he didn’t play a single game. So, what we’re comparing is Blood to Mosey, Schiestel and Duggan. Add into this we’re probably still spending less on the ice than initially planned I think we’re better off now.

kristian

So negative.

Devil_Abroad

I thought Mosey was asked to go back but decided to go to Denmark?

If Parisi had played then we’d have been carrying a spare at the time. When he decided not to stay we had a full roster and would need to wait until NHL/AHL contracts had been settled before bringing in a replacement.

As time goes by the requirements of the team changes and also the players available. Perhaps when Blood received the call to Finland it was decided that a utility player was required to cover initially the D and then have flexibility for injury cover; Mosey had been favoured a couple of seasons back and was positive about joining had it not been for loyalty to Panthers so I guess the guys were still talking to him keeping tabs. Perhaps he wasn’t really settled and Devils knew an approach wold be favourable to him and so it made sense to go for him.

All the while they are still being patient about a D man to replace Parisi. Again they’re looking at what type of player would fit best to our current roster having had the team together for 3 months and decide a Parisi type offensive D man is no longer the best fit but rather a quick skating stay at home D man who moves the puck well?

It’s all supposition but entertaining

I’m intrigued by the initial report where he will require time to get match fit and now seeing the tweet about making his home debut on Wednesday? Reddick’s injury must be bad enough that he’s out of contention and so the new guy will get a couple of shifts Wednesday to help acclimatise quicker? Huge for a game against a top Flyers team.

Looking forward to seeing him play

Ocko

Maybe in comparison to Parisi and Blood’s resumes he doesn’t appear of the same pedigree. However, if the type of player he has been described of is right then he is a better fit than both. Sometimes the calibre of player comes second to getting the right player. Parisi was an offensive player who liked to skate with the puck, much like Fournier. This team needs a pass first kind of guy who looks to get the team going quickly from their own end and settle things down defensively. Blood on occasion could be erratic offensively, despite being an excellent all round D man.

Kevlar68

If we haven't signed someone there's moans, if we sign someone there's moans. What the hell do the board have to do to please some people?
They wouldn't just sign someone just for the sake of it and to fill a gap. Drew must have that something that the management are looking for or they wouldn't have signed him.
Welcome to Cardiff Drew.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #32
Exactly just one person who is underwhelmed by a signing that he has never seen play, who is a downgrade on a player he has never seen play. Drew is 1inch shorter than blood, what size has to do with it who knows, ask Tie Domi.

RedDevil17

Exactly just one person who is underwhelmed by a signing that he has never seen play, who is a downgrade on a player he has never seen play. Drew is 1inch shorter than blood, what size has to do with it who knows, ask Tie Domi.
There’s a slight difference...look at Domi’s PIMS! He was one tough bugger! Schiestel seems a good all round player don’t get me wrong and I’m happy we’ve signed him but I would’ve preferred a big 6’4 monster at the back. I’ll take him though, won’t judge a player until I’ve seen him play! I’ll give him a chance. Welcome to Cardiff Drewwww!

Last edited:

august04

There’s not many 2nd round draft picks in this league. He’s got 240 AHL games under his belt, and played in the AHL all star game. He must have something about him. We badly need a boost at the back end and I’m sure he’ll give us that. I’m looking forward to seeing the new guy play.

jimmy snels

im interested to see him play before i make any judgement anyhow. will say good to get a much needed Dman in.

I thought the "negative" poster actually made some reasoned arguments. perhaps rather than attack the guy maybe you could debate back why this guy fits the mould for you and why?!

kristian

im interested to see him play before i make any judgement anyhow. will say good to get a much needed Dman in.

I thought the "negative" poster actually made some reasoned arguments. perhaps rather than attack the guy maybe you could debate back why this guy fits the mould for you and why?!
It doesn't matter what I think.

The only person that counts at the end of the day is Lord and what he believes the team needs and what he brings to the make of the team on and off the ice.

I was pointing out that hes been in Cardiff a matter of hours and already we have negative comments.

zoesdevil

Drew has experience in the AHL, EBEL & DEL, you don't get that being an average player. He's got something special & our management know this otherwise they'd of waited longer. No idea why that one person is so negative. Wait until he's iced for us a few games first.

Jeez you lot are touchy on here! I can always rely on the happy-clap brigade to put words in my mouth and start attacking my posts!!

Im hardly super negative, I've made a valid observation which a couple of others have acknowledged and agreed with.

We've lost probably our #1 defenceman in Parisi and a massive player for us in Blood. Though I understand bdevils response because Parisi never actually played a game for us - but still you would expect is to be looking at a similar quality replacement, so I feel like that point is at least half valid!

I made a general assessment based on their CVS and type of players they were to judge which attributes we would be losing/gaining. I don't think I've said anything wrong or made any false statements up?

I've hardly chastised the new guy! It's like someone saying based on a CV, Cristiano Ronaldo is a better football player than me. Doesn't necessarily mean I'm a bad player?

To make it easier for the happy clappers to understand - does me thinking Blood is a more useful player (CV/attributes/known quantity) than Schiestel make me negative? Apparently so.

- wannabe, you mentioning Tie Domi just shows how clueless you are!! I'm well aware you don't have to be tall to be a tough player, but a quick look in the pims column will give you an idea that Schiestel obviously doesn't throw it around as much as Blood does!