Doug Clarkson retires

ASHIPP

Wishing the big man all the success and happiness outside of the game. Big part of this team 3 seasons ago.

SteveKing

One of my favourite people from that very special first year with the team. Dougie wrote a wonderful note to me and the other owners this past off season saying that even though he only played one year for the club, he will always be a Cardiff Devil.

Best of luck in your life outside of hockey, Doug. With your personality you'll have nothing but success and happiness.

RedDevil17

Shame Dougie's retired at such a young age, he was a great player for us and will be remembered always by us Devils fans. Best of luck to him in whatever he does

august04

Looking back, I wish we had re-signed Clarkson after that first year. He was unlucky not to get another contract with the Devils as I don't think we really upgraded the following season (perhaps on paper but not in reality). I think he would have continued to do a good job for us - he was an underrated player with a lot of skill and soft hands for a big guy, who could drop the gloves too. I think the latter was half the problem though, people wanted the second coming of Voth and Clarkson (and after him, Salters) never had that nastiness in their game. Not many do though! A great team player, popular with players and fans alike. I wish him every success in the future.

I thought someone like Dougie was what was missing from the locker room last year, someone who was the big character to gee everyone up (or at least that's how it looked from the outside). Really enjoyed watching him when he played for us and since he's left, the guy's clearly shown what this club meant to him. Wish him and his family all the best for the future.

wildthing74

Without a shadow of a doubt one of the nicest people I've ever known in life not just hockey.

He said this would be his last year and whilst it's a shame and a loss to hockey it's a good decision to get into a settled life with a good job at an age he won't be worried about being overlooked like some guys who finish in their 30's.

His mission was to qualify and make GB but sadly didn't get the call last year and with no love lost with Pete Russell it was never going to happen so in reality he had nothing to play on for and what a great way to bow out as a champion and a 50 goal scorer.

Good luck Clarky

Wannabe2

Lovely, lovely human being, one of life's true gentlemen, a real team player who could have been a Devil for many years. Was fortunate to spend a whole evening with Dougie, and a nicer guy you couldn't meet. Take care Mr Clarkson, it's always nice to meet nice people, and you are the real deal.