Devils Vs Steelers - Sat 20 Oct - League

KaneDevils

I’m talking 10 goals plus quite easily. We eased off after the first period. I understand why Lord did it as we’ve been on the wrong end of those scorelines in the past and it’s not pleasant (and we have a big game tomorrow too) - but part of me would have loved to have seen us not let up. I don’t buy all this bull about the league needing a strong Sheffield. Why does it? The rest are doing quite nicely thank you and they’ve only got themselves to blame for being in this mess after sacking a championship winning coach in G, and appointing that has been who has gradually sunk them over the past three years. I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Perhaps they’ll be a bit more humble in future (although with Simms still around, I doubt that) and this season may be the wake up call that they need. Apparently Barrasso buggered off down the dressing at the final whistle without shaking anyone’s hand - sounds like he might fit in well there.
I know the rivalry with Sheffield runs deep, so isn't it better that continues? I'd prefer to see classic 7 goal thrillers than us batter them from now til eternity. Now and again is ok though. I feel for the league to remain sustainable, the bigger, more followed teams, need to remain strong. I'm sure the Steelers will get there again, but it's alarming to see them, almost at walking pace, in front of their new coach. It did seem one of those games too, where everything went devils way and every shot went in. Think a few goals were pretty fortunate.
As said, of course I want us to win every game, but would rather it's not as easy as that most weeks.

august04

I know the rivalry with Sheffield runs deep, so isn't it better that continues? I'd prefer to see classic 7 goal thrillers than us batter them from now til eternity. Now and again is ok though. I feel for the league to remain sustainable, the bigger, more followed teams, need to remain strong. I'm sure the Steelers will get there again, but it's alarming to see them, almost at walking pace, in front of their new coach. It did seem one of those games too, where everything went devils way and every shot went in. Think a few goals were pretty fortunate.
As said, of course I want us to win every game, but would rather it's not as easy as that most weeks.
They’ll be back soon enough. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Devil_Abroad

Not sure you have Twitter Devil_Aboard but Pope actually tweeted about it after the game and asked for fans to post the clip to him, which a few have done. Quite interesting reading the comments because even with the replays it divides opinion. Personally I think Johnson knows where Pope is and puts a cheap elbow in.

It happened so quickly and there wasn’t a penalty so I didn’t catch who actually did it last night. I just presumed it must’ve been Della Rovere that’s why Blood no choiced him but it turns out it was Johnson. So what happened between Blood and Della Rovere for Blood to no choice him?
My first thought when I saw it was a dirty hit. Then I saw the reaction of the players which tells me that maybe it was a game play incident and not intentional. The most telling reaction is Johnson himself as he doesn’t know what happened either.

Yes, saw the Tweet from Pope so I posted the clip.

As no action was taken on Johnson Devils must have looked at it and decided it wasn’t intentional.

Blood didn’t like the glove face by Della Rovere so he punched him. The funny thing is Della Rovere’s reaction as if he’d done nothing!

Rempel16

Well!!! I don’t know how we see this totally different. This guy will definitely be in top 4 team next year if he stays in the league I can guarantee that.
A guarantee is certainly a statement. Care to explain how you come to this conclusion? You haven't yet backed up why you think he will be. What attributes does he possess that make him worthy of a roster spot in a top 4 team?

Ocko

I didnt notice any Steelers player other than Jonathan Phillips for his work ethic against the odds, and also Davy Phillips for how bad he is. If Batch isnt ahead of him on the plane for GB next year as a D man it would be a travesty.

Eberle and many others on that team would have likely been on the radar of a number of teams in the top 4, but I cannot see anyone touching them with a barge pole after this season. I would be surprised to see many of this Steelers team in the EIHL next season. They may go to better leagues but certainly not the EIHL. That team is rotten to the core.

Mooney#16

I don’t buy this whole a strong Steelers is good for the league. They can take there turn in the grinder the same as everyone else. That rink of there’s is to big for UK hockey and the rental has always been an issue yet they have self publicised the fact Steelers are the way and the future. It’s crap. It’s a highly restricted business model that haa gone pop more than any other team in the top flight. They have no Devine right to anything. They can work hard like everyone else and try and get there ship in order. Tells you all you need to know about the league messiah Tony Smith that he has resided over this fall from grace by swallowing the Dave Simms rhetoric.

Until they can admit they are a bit part player in an 11 team league rather than the saviours and flag bearers for hockey in the UK they are welcome to the wooden spoon. It’s called karma.

I hasten just like in Devils fiasco days this isn’t aimed at there fans but the management and that includes Thommo. The fans are just having reality rammed down there throats unfortunately.

Ocko

I dont get it either. If they are crap, like they are now, how is that bad for the league?

What the league needs is a Steelers team who are strong off the ice, and who do not constantly embarrass themselves and the entire UK hockey community on a regular basis. Their league position, and indeed their performances are immaterial and no different to that of any other team. Off the ice, they are the pariah of the league, on the ice, they are just one of 11 other teams who are all competing for position. Someone has to be in the basement, why not them? A big arena doesn't make you exempt from poor management, recruitment, decisions, tactics and work ethic.

osh

2 very good performances from us this weekend. Met up with friends who are Steelers fans - who continue to travel to away games to support their team - and its these sort of fans I have sympathy for having to watch their team under perform. I feel Barrasso has taken on a huge job thanks to Thomson’s previous poor recruiting. I think a few of the Steelers have potential to play at a decent level, unfortunately, they were recruited as individuals but certainly not team players. You just have to look at our team to see how new players look so comfortable with team mates in such a short space of time, that’s down to Lord ! Love the way Linglet is such a great play maker and so skilled and sets up players with scoring chances, I think he is capable of scoring much more himself but he seems to be unselfish by creating so much for others. I would add that I think our CHL games have had a huge influence on how we are playing.

Gospel

Having watched the Steelers against us in our darker years, i have absolutely no sympathy for the position they find themselves in, which is of their own making. I will take stuffing them every single game if i could.

As for the Steelers team, they arent one yet. They play individually and thats a job for the coach to sort out and boy thats a big job!

As for the game, we didnt get out of second gear which is a shame as i would have liked to have seen us put double figures on them again but heyho.

ASHIPP

The ability to be a good coach is to gain the trust of players....and create a team out of a bunch of individuals. Its mindset that needs changing before tactics. Their new coach has vast experience - given time he will turn them around. But will he get support from the men higher up? Let's be honest, Thompson might be criticised for poor recruitment in the offseason, but that toxic CULTURE has always been at Steelers, way before his time.

Rob Batch

My take on the Johnson hit is he seemed to stand up tall as he went into the hit and at that moment his left elbow/hand/stick butt came up as well causing Popes injury. Intention is hard to judge but It looked intentional to me.