Devils Vs Steelers - Sat 20 Oct - League

hip check

Never saw the Edinburgh Capitals play but I suspect it would have been very similar to watching Sheffield tonight.
Isn't it sad though? You mention 2 teams with a fantastic history and one is no longer playing top flight hockey and the other is on a slippery slope at the base of the league, stuffing the Steelers a few years ago would've been an enjoyable experience but last night was a bit sad for me, a great club badly managed for a few years coming to our barn and providing hardly any fight or resistance and taking a thrashing from us, it could've been double figures if we hadn't eased off.
I hope they regroup sooner rather than later, we've had some fantastic games against them.

RTfarty

Are you surprised we didn’t do anything about it?! My immediate reaction was that someone should’ve been straight in there and filled him in even if it meant getting an instigator. Teams don’t fear us anymore in terms of the physical side of things which is why they do it. The refs are absolutely useless and the opposition know we won’t do anything about it so they’ll be more than happy to get away with it.
I don’t think teams are licking their chops when they see Cardiff fixtures because they get to goon it up. I would put money on the Pope incident being an unintentional play by the Steelers player. Would need to see a replay but I’m pretty sure that was a stray elbow in a battle for the puck along the boards and nothing more. The officials called the game well last night.

Devil_Abroad

im sure the lack of reaction from our players (and everyone else) to the hit on Pope was more down to ‘what happened?’

Our players do react when they see a dirty hit.

Even the footage isn’t clear as to what happened. Any one have slo-mo?

Hedd Wyn John

We always have debates about tough guys, standing up for teamates and dangerous play not being challenged by devil's players. Imho it's at times like the challenge on Pope that we could do with that tough guy, like you have mentioned above teams do take certain liberties with us now and get away with it, we have skill in abundance but a bit of nastiness is always a deterrent in this sport.
Sometimes the best revenge is scoring on the PP. I like a fight as much as the next guy, but sometimes fighting isn’t worth it. With our lead last night we could (& did) get away with having a few players in the box but against stronger opposition it’s very risky business.

CaldicotDevil

This is harsh in my opinion. Couldn't see much wrong with the officiating tonight.

The hit on Pope was nasty but not intentional, reckless yes. I'm assuming the referees and linos missed it because the Steeler had his back turned towards Pope and his trailing elbow which was high because he was holding his stick high was behind him. 4 didn't see it hence the no call.

There must be a high percentage of newbies around blocks 5 and 6 because the screams for penalties at the slightest of checks was farcical at times.
Not sure you have Twitter Devil_Aboard but Pope actually tweeted about it after the game and asked for fans to post the clip to him, which a few have done. Quite interesting reading the comments because even with the replays it divides opinion. Personally I think Johnson knows where Pope is and puts a cheap elbow in.

It happened so quickly and there wasn’t a penalty so I didn’t catch who actually did it last night. I just presumed it must’ve been Della Rovere that’s why Blood no choiced him but it turns out it was Johnson. So what happened between Blood and Della Rovere for Blood to no choice him?

hip check

Sometimes the best revenge is scoring on the PP. I like a fight as much as the next guy, but sometimes fighting isn’t worth it. With our lead last night we could (& did) get away with having a few players in the box but against stronger opposition it’s very risky business.
Not particularly advocating fighting, sometimes a players presence on the ice can be enough for the opposition to "think twice" before mugging one of our talented players, if a fight we're to ensue then more often than not both participants would be in the bin together so not short handed, we lose players to penalties more for slashing/ hooking that fighting/roughing.
Not advocating his return lol but when Bordy was on the ice opposition players behaved and he had 3 fights I believe.
Sometimes the mere presence of certain individuals can influence opposition players.

august04

It’s the one area that completes this team. We have enough skill all over the ice, I don’t think we need any more upgrades in that department up front or in defence. But in my view, the only addition we need to make is to increase our physical presence. They may be a dying breed but if it stops nobheads targeting the likes of Pope, Martin etc - then I’m all for it.

Considering we wanted a new d man we have done well conceding hardly any goals .
15 goals conceded in 8 games roughly 2 a game! Keep that up n the league is ours :)

I’m guessing 4-2 devils tonight.

kettdevil1

Considering we wanted a new d man we have done well conceding hardly any goals .
15 goals conceded in 8 games roughly 2 a game! Keep that up n the league is ours :)

I’m guessing 4-2 devils tonight.
Indeed, last season we averaged 2.5ish goals against, anywhere near 2 would put us in a very strong position....

jimmy snels

It’s the one area that completes this team. We have enough skill all over the ice, I don’t think we need any more upgrades in that department up front or in defence. But in my view, the only addition we need to make is to increase our physical presence. They may be a dying breed but if it stops nobheads targeting the likes of Pope, Martin etc - then I’m all for it.
been saying exactly this since team was announced. id like a tougher, entertaining hitter who can mix it up if required. got more than enough of the rest.

BostonBart22

I don’t think teams are licking their chops when they see Cardiff fixtures because they get to goon it up. I would put money on the Pope incident being an unintentional play by the Steelers player. Would need to see a replay but I’m pretty sure that was a stray elbow in a battle for the puck along the boards and nothing more. The officials called the game well last night.
It wasnt on the highlights so may be up for a dops verdict

mjh

At the time I thought it was accidental. Looking at replay I’m convinced it was intentional. Great to see Fournier coast to coast goal immediately after. Hope offender gets a ban front DOPs.

On another note, enjoyed seeing Steelers being battered. It was great to see them at such a low because we know they’ll improve once new boss gets some decent guys in. Thought our boys walked it. Tougher test tonight!

Who the bloody hell said Martininelli was good enough for us devils lol?? I’m sure it was SOLEACE.

Next joke, the guy was shambolic.

I would take Eberle from steelers team and that’s it

Rempel16

Really?? He hit everything that moved.
A right little agitator and worked his socks off all night.
Hit everything that moved?? Eberle was completely anonymous and would have been one of the players I'd have expected to actually attempt to get his team going with a hit or fight. His puck control is garbage too. Really disappointed in him and i'd be surprised if he's in a team anywhere near the top 8 next season.

That Steelers team have no bite whatsoever, and whilst the players he's working with are generally poor I don't think that Barrasso is going to turn it around. After a 4-0 first period, the coach is surely going to put a rocket in you to come out next period and make a game of it.... But the Steelers came out with nothing, no extra energy, no zip, no fight, no pride and no-one looking like they gave a damn. So either Barrasso didn't speak to them in the period break or he's not this stern character that he's sold himself to be.

Well!!! I don’t know how we see this totally different. This guy will definitely be in top 4 team next year if he stays in the league I can guarantee that.