Devils Vs Steelers - Sat 20 Oct - League

august04

I’d seen Sheffield on the webcast when we played then there a few weeks back and thought they were poor then but I was actually shocked tonight at how awful they were, a clueless shambles of a team. How Thommo can get recruitment that badly wrong, given he must have had a decent budget, God only knows. If he gets another job in the EIHL again, I’d be amazed. He’s destroyed that club, along with his brummie mate. Barasso must be wishing he’d stayed in Italy - the P45’s need to come out immediately to salvage anything of their sorry season. Devils stopped playing after the first period, as easy as it will ever be against that lot. We could have absolutely hammered them.

KaneDevils

We did absolutely hammer them. Fantastic score line, but I can't help feel for the Steelers fans. This league needs a competitive Sheffield team. Surely a Stanley cup winner can motivate even an average team? Maybe more going on there than meets the eye? I will look forward to the highlights as I wasn't able to see the game.

august04

We did absolutely hammer them. Fantastic score line, but I can't help feel for the Steelers fans. This league needs a competitive Sheffield team. Surely a Stanley cup winner can motivate even an average team? Maybe more going on there than meets the eye? I will look forward to the highlights as I wasn't able to see the game.
I’m talking 10 goals plus quite easily. We eased off after the first period. I understand why Lord did it as we’ve been on the wrong end of those scorelines in the past and it’s not pleasant (and we have a big game tomorrow too) - but part of me would have loved to have seen us not let up. I don’t buy all this bull about the league needing a strong Sheffield. Why does it? The rest are doing quite nicely thank you and they’ve only got themselves to blame for being in this mess after sacking a championship winning coach in G, and appointing that has been who has gradually sunk them over the past three years. I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Perhaps they’ll be a bit more humble in future (although with Simms still around, I doubt that) and this season may be the wake up call that they need. Apparently Barrasso buggered off down the dressing at the final whistle without shaking anyone’s hand - sounds like he might fit in well there.

CaldicotDevil

Great performance from the lads but how bad were the officials. They were a joke tonight, they seem to make up the calls as they go along. Hope Popes okay because it looked horrible. When the 2 EIHL refs miss something as obvious as that elbow it’s no wonder EIHL clubs feel the need to stack their teams with tough guys.

Slartibartfast

I don't want to take anything away from the Devils as that was another solid performance but the Steelers look like a team that haven't been paid.
The last time I saw a performance that lack lustre it was from the Devils in the bad old days when players were owed a lot of money.

Devil_Abroad

Thompson will go down as one of the worst Steelers of all time for this. Indefensible failure of epic proportions.
I remember asking a few times 2 seasons ago what people saw in Thompson as a coach. 'Look at what he accomplished at Blaze' - but everywhere since? 'Look at the building blocks he's putting in place for player development' - but what about his coaching which is what will bring in the 'bums on seats'

So having had no confidence in his coaching abilities of the squad put together mostly by Adams (who was a very good coach) I was intrigued to see if he could build a good squad. hmmm.........

Devil_Abroad

Great performance from the lads but how bad were the officials. They were a joke tonight, they seem to make up the calls as they go along. Hope Popes okay because it looked horrible. When the 2 EIHL refs miss something as obvious as that elbow it’s no wonder EIHL clubs feel the need to stack their teams with tough guys.
This is harsh in my opinion. Couldn't see much wrong with the officiating tonight.

The hit on Pope was nasty but not intentional, reckless yes. I'm assuming the referees and linos missed it because the Steeler had his back turned towards Pope and his trailing elbow which was high because he was holding his stick high was behind him. 4 didn't see it hence the no call.

There must be a high percentage of newbies around blocks 5 and 6 because the screams for penalties at the slightest of checks was farcical at times.

BostonBart22

should think dops will view this today.. oh and no reaction from the hit by any of our players, even if it turned into a scuffle, something at least...pope prob wondered wtf wheres my teamates...

RedDevil17

should think dops will view this today.. oh and no reaction from the hit by any of our players, even if it turned into a scuffle, something at least...pope prob wondered wtf wheres my teamates...
Are you surprised we didn’t do anything about it?! My immediate reaction was that someone should’ve been straight in there and filled him in even if it meant getting an instigator. Teams don’t fear us anymore in terms of the physical side of things which is why they do it. The refs are absolutely useless and the opposition know we won’t do anything about it so they’ll be more than happy to get away with it.

If I was Pope I would’ve been livid that my teammates didn’t have my back and weren’t willing to stand up for me. We should react more to incidents more often. Apart from that the team played really well and it was a good game. Always nice thrashing the Steelers which made it even more good! Thommo has ruined them from top to bottom and they need a massive overhaul of their squad quickly otherwise I can’t see them making top 8 if they carry on.

Last edited:

hip check

Are you surprised we didn’t do anything about it?! My immediate reaction was that someone should’ve been straight in there and filled him in even if it meant getting an instigator. Teams don’t fear us anymore in terms of the physical side of things which is why they do it. The refs are absolutely useless and the opposition know we won’t do anything about it so they’ll be more than happy to get away with it.

If I was Pope I would’ve been livid that my teammates didn’t have my back and weren’t willing to stand up for me. We should react more to incidents more often. Apart from that the team played really well and it was a good game. Always nice thrashing the Steelers which made it even more good! Thommo has ruined them from top to bottom and they need a massive overhaul of their squad quickly otherwise I can’t see them making top 8 if they carry on.
We always have debates about tough guys, standing up for teamates and dangerous play not being challenged by devil's players. Imho it's at times like the challenge on Pope that we could do with that tough guy, like you have mentioned above teams do take certain liberties with us now and get away with it, we have skill in abundance but a bit of nastiness is always a deterrent in this sport.

E.D.S.

We always have debates about tough guys, standing up for teamates and dangerous play not being challenged by devil's players. Imho it's at times like the challenge on Pope that we could do with that tough guy, like you have mentioned above teams do take certain liberties with us now and get away with it, we have skill in abundance but a bit of nastiness is always a deterrent in this sport.
For me having a tough guy doesn’t necessarily mean that teams won’t do this stuff it just means that they’ll get picked up on it and we’ll end up in the box. I’m more than happy with the way we cksnxur ourselves now. Blood has proved he’s happy to dish a bit out. I’m sure Batch would do as well. Likewise Faryna. It’s all ‘crack on as you are’ as far as I’m concerned.

RTfarty

There must be a high percentage of newbies around blocks 5 and 6 because the screams for penalties at the slightest of checks was farcical at times.
My biggest gripe with games at IAW right now. The slightest shove, tap of the stick or any kind of big hit and there’s absolute uproar. Ironically there were then people who gave Faryna a standing ovation as he made his way to the penalty box for what I considered quite a dangerous and reckless interference penalty. Same for when Fournier took that slashing/tripping call in the 3rd period.

Thought the officials called the game spot on last night.