Devils Vs steelers - League - 4th Dec 21

Mazzoak

Yet? We're half way through the season. I think it's safe to say he's a bust.
Half way through Skaldes first season and we are 2nd in league. Now add Lord to your statement & imagine I’d written that.

If you want to blame anyone for this position, aim it at the Lord, he’s the one that left the club.......
Having said that, he never had a plan B either, had a one trick strategy and relied on expensive players and Todd to motivate when we played badly, remember those seasons, he left because he was done, we weren’t going to get better, he left with a reputation that got him another position. How long will that’ll last, maybe he’s already planned a 2022 return.......

moggy#9

And if we had a top centre all our woes would disappear. The position of the Star doesn’t matter if its contributing to the wins, l say wins rather than performance because ultimately that’s what brings success. You don’t need to have a star first line centreman, this isn’t PS4 hockey..........
Sometimes I think that you come up with this stuff just for attention. Every player is recruited to fill a certain slot in the depth chart for that position. Each slot comes with certain expectations and responsibilities. For a top line centre point production is key to that. Pay will reflect that. If a player doesn't do what's expected, someone else has to step up. In this league you have to have each player produce to, and ideally beyond, the preseason expectation - just like Waller and batch have. With such a short bench a team can't carry players. Unfortunately we do seem to have some passengers. In my opinion, Dupont will be remembered alongside the likes of John brill, Brad Gratton, Trent andison and Robert millette.

Mazzoak

What you don’t think Skalde and the owners had a chat in august and discussed where he sees each player playing? Obviously lines will chop and change throughout the season with form/injuries etc but at the start of the season Skalde would have had his three lines on paper and Dupont would have been first line centre. Look at DuPont’s Cv, also he’s player assistant coach and he’s living in a house in South Wales with his family. You don’t recruit a player with that CV plus fly his family over here to play on your third line. Particularly this year with 19 man rosters. Your third line budget goes on a player like Lammon. He’s over here by himself and probably one of the lower paid imports.
The owners said the recruitment is a risk. This season is a punt based on the 18 months players haven’t been playing competitive games, financial situation etc. Every person I meet daily has an issue in their workplace/business, it’s almost like people switched off, rebooted and a different version appeared. I’ve seen workaholics not return, I’ve seen people simply not have the motivation or care they once did. I’m seeing in the EIHL some very familiar traits. It’s not inconceivable for a player to suffer the same doubts, loss of love, physical limits or change in attitude to life. It’s also possible some players have after effects of Covid. Maybe the player he once was isn’t the one that we see, maybe that’s true of a few. This was always going to be a tough ask for Skalde, let’s face it the man love for Lord was high, he was always going to get roasted on every lost game or performance.
I prefer to take into account all the factors & wait for normality to restore, when the situation regarding roaster sizes, money and security has restored us back to pre Covid, then I’d judge Skalde. Next season will be the deciding time, we’ve got some changes to make, that’s not defendable, we’ve also got some great players to build an amazing team to forward with, let’s finish this rollercoaster before we decide on the ride.......lets give Skalde some time.

august04 2.0

Not rushing to Brodie's defence but you can't just single him out from last nights game as the target to vent frustration. It was dreadful from Skalde down. And I say that as in that was the most bare minimum display to count as being professionals. They chose the bits of the game they wanted to play and the rest they just didn't bother with. Hockey is a physical sport. You take the puck away from the opposition in two ways. Poke check or body check. They just poke checked all night to poor effect and took the easy nights pay. I can take a lot but when I see professional player pull out of legitimate hits it drives me insane. And how Skalde couldn't manufacture the tactics to swing the momentum which also annoyed. Way way to passive game manageent.

I will say and I'm not a fan of singling players out that calling for Waller isn't the solution either. His decision making at present is very rookie esque. He is making wrong plays in wrong areas of the ice and giving up possession very easily. He still needs a lot of educating in the video room.
Nobody is singling him out on the evidence of one game. He’s offered very little from day one and continues to be bang average, and that’s on a good day. Some on here get orgasmic when he shows little glimpses of quality, or has a better game, chips in with a goal or an assist - but the reality is, that’s just not good enough, considering the position/role he was signed to play. I’m sorry to say he has shown the unique ability of making every line that he has played on this season, worse.

Mazzoak

Sometimes I think that you come up with this stuff just for attention. Every player is recruited to fill a certain slot in the depth chart for that position. Each slot comes with certain expectations and responsibilities. For a top line centre point production is key to that. Pay will reflect that. If a player doesn't do what's expected, someone else has to step up. In this league you have to have each player produce to, and ideally beyond, the preseason expectation - just like Waller and batch have. With such a short bench a team can't carry players. Unfortunately we do seem to have some passengers. In my opinion, Dupont will be remembered alongside the likes of John brill, Brad Gratton, Trent andison and Robert millette.
Sometimes l think fans forget that not every team can have the number 1 slot. You say some has to step up, why. If the money isn’t there, how or maybe the professionals don’t see what you do or they know what you don’t. Remember opinions are like arseholes, we all have one, doesn’t mean it’s correct.

august04 2.0

It's late - but I'm just starting reading some of the posts on here. Will come back in the morning - a LOT of reactionary rubbish being posted. Was it perfect? No. Do I HATE the Steelers? Definitely.

But some of this is going over the top. Will read, sleep and compose a reasoned review of a disappointing night.

But let's all agree, thankfully we aren't Orange and when they get home they end up in Sheffield!!
You say there’s a lot of rubbish being posted yet your contribution to the post game thread is just that you HATE the Steelers! At least some are commenting on what they saw last night.

bb1

The MOST frustrating thing is that we know this team has some superb hockey in them. CHL and pre season we looked incredible.

For me the reason that was the case is because we had a new group of talanted players put together and didn't really know each other.

Skalde didn't have any real time to drill his systems and style of play into them so they went out and played the way they could naturally to the best of their ability......BOOM we competed and played some of the best hockey I've seen any Devils team play.

As the season has gone on Skalde imo seems to have completely changed this dynamic and unintentionally damaged things by messing with the lines that worked and we are now playing perimeter hockey with a group of smallish forwards. I much preferred the fast direct and hard nose style we played in CHL.

Mazzoak

The MOST frustrating thing is that we know this team has some superb hockey in them. CHL and pre season we looked incredible.

For me the reason that was the case is because we had a new group of talanted players put together and didn't really know each other.

Skalde didn't have any real time to drill his systems and style of play into them so they went out and played the way they could naturally to the best of their ability......BOOM we competed and played some of the best hockey I've seen any Devils team play.

As the season has gone on Skalde imo seems to have completely changed this dynamic and unintentionally damaged things by messing with the lines that worked and we are now playing perimeter hockey with a group of smallish forwards. I much preferred the fast direct and hard nose style we played in CHL.
Skalde isn’t the only member of the coaching staff. But yes you could be right. There are many reasons we can pick. Although being 2nd in the league isn’t the point to start panicking........

moggy#9

Half way through Skaldes first season and we are 2nd in league. Now add Lord to your statement & imagine I’d written that.

If you want to blame anyone for this position, aim it at the Lord, he’s the one that left the club.......
Having said that, he never had a plan B either, had a one trick strategy and relied on expensive players and Todd to motivate when we played badly, remember those seasons, he left because he was done, we weren’t going to get better, he left with a reputation that got him another position. How long will that’ll last, maybe he’s already planned a 2022 return.......
FFS you talk some utter crap. My comment was clearly about Dupont and not skalde. You'll take every opportunity to have a did at lord. I don't know what your beef is with him but it's tedious.

Mazzoak

FFS you talk some utter crap. My comment was clearly about Dupont and not skalde. You'll take every opportunity to have a did at lord. I don't know what your beef is with him but it's tedious.
It’s not crap, if that was my assessment of Dupont & Lord was the coach that recruited him, you’d roast the s88t out of me.

Kevin roog

I think most of us are happy with the position in the league and a lot of the results, it’s the flat boring games, especially at home, there was nothing there for the first 54 minutes to lift the crowd, the players still can’t be thinking “since Brexit I ain’t hitting anymore “

Mooney#16

Nobody is singling him out on the evidence of one game. He’s offered very little from day one and continues to be bang average, and that’s on a good day. Some on here get orgasmic when he shows little glimpses of quality, or has a better game, chips in with a goal or an assist - but the reality is, that’s just not good enough, considering the position/role he was signed to play. I’m sorry to say he has shown the unique ability of making every line that he has played on this season, worse.
I can see how you have come to that opinion so I’m not going to say you’re wrong but respectfully I disagree. It’s a team game and the issues with this teams character go beyond a single player. You can change DuPont and I don’t think you’ll see a huge shift. Currently they don’t have the mentality to be champions. For me that sits with Skalde as coach and Ritchie as captain to address. Why is it an acceptable position that players on this team don’t have to physically challenge opposition defence men. That is inexcusable and someone needs to step up and set an example. There is more than just DuPonts game in question.

Take Crandall. Great player, doing really well this season. Like him a lot. But last night his physical play was two battles where he got pinned up on the boards and started roughing the D man and took a rubbish penalty for it. Now just because you are league leader in assists doesn’t exempt you from throwing body checks and then when you do get tangled up taking a dumb penalty. Your skill will get you personal accolades. Your heart and game intelligence will win you trophies.

This currently is not a team that knows what it takes to win this league. They need to work it out and quick. They are all hugely skilled guys. You look at how lethal that powerplay is if you give them space to work will destroy any team in the league so they have to clue in that to get the same space while playing 5on5 involves working in the traffic areas of the game and winning the physical 1x1 battles that occur.

Mazzoak

This isn’t the first debate about lack of physical play, maybe the issue goes higher than Skalde.......it’s been debate over several seasons. Even a Big Bad NHL enforcer got turned into a pussy cat

Swarley

I think most of us are happy with the position in the league and a lot of the results, it’s the flat boring games, especially at home, there was nothing there for the first 54 minutes to lift the crowd, the players still can’t be thinking “since Brexit I ain’t hitting anymore “
I'm actually really happy with our current spot in the league given its a rebuild and new coach for us this season, my only gripe is Franny seems to have more passion and fire on the bench than Skalde has, last night he was stood hands in pockets while Franny was going apesh*t at the officials for bad decisions, it might be that skalde is more laid back and composed but I didn't see any signs of actual life from him until the last 5 minutes of the game.

I do still think skalde can do something great but something needs to ignite him and set him off, players work hard to get the fans going but seeing your coach shouting and throwing arms around and showing passion also helps the fans and the players in my opinion.

I'm actually really happy with our current spot in the league given its a rebuild and new coach for us this season, my only gripe is Franny seems to have more passion and fire on the bench than Skalde has, last night he was stood hands in pockets while Franny was going apesh*t at the officials for bad decisions, it might be that skalde is more laid back and composed but I didn't see any signs of actual life from him until the last 5 minutes of the game.

I do still think skalde can do something great but something needs to ignite him and set him off, players work hard to get the fans going but seeing your coach shouting and throwing arms around and showing passion also helps the fans and the players in my opinion.
In fairness there have been many great coaches/managers etc in the world of sport and they’ve had varied styles of coaching.
I don’t think you can throw that upas a reason we lost.
Adam Keefe was going nuts on the bench last week and they lost.
It’s just different styles, but maybe if Franny wasn’t there Skalde would have been more animated ( but it wouldn’t have been for the sake of the fans)

To be honest, I’m more concerned about the health of Wannabe2 than the result last night!!!
I may have missed it but I haven’t seen him post since before the game.
Might have to get the police helicopter up in search of him soon!!

osh

Looking over my earlier post, I forgot to mention that I was pleased to see how we could play in CHL games, especially having had a short time for players to get to know each other. I am of the opinion that Skalde had put a team together that was suitable for competing in a fast open style against similar opposition. We proved it possible to play in that way and came away with some good results as well as competing with more skilled opposition. The difference between playing in the CHL and EIHL is like chalk and cheese, 2 totally different styles of play. The team he has assembled is under powered physically and not suited for our league. Yes, we need skilled and fast forwards, but you have to have physically bigger, gritty, hard working forwards who can stand up to the way EIHL defencemen play.

Swarley

In fairness there have been many great coaches/managers etc in the world of sport and they’ve had varied styles of coaching.
I don’t think you can throw that upas a reason we lost.
Adam Keefe was going nuts on the bench last week and they lost.
It’s just different styles, but maybe if Franny wasn’t there Skalde would have been more animated ( but it wouldn’t have been for the sake of the fans)
Oh I totally understand every coach has a different style to coaching I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that franny was the only one last night who seemed 100% on fire and motivated, I guess I'm just use to seeing a coach that isn't stood as still as a statue for majority of the game.

I've seen people complain about players lack of enthusiasm in the ice and for me if the coach isn't showing enthusiasm it rubs off onto the players and we just fall flat in games.

I'm probably wrong but it's just how I saw things last night.