Devils Vs steelers - League - 4th Dec 21

Oh I totally understand every coach has a different style to coaching I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that franny was the only one last night who seemed 100% on fire and motivated, I guess I'm just use to seeing a coach that isn't stood as still as a statue for majority of the game.

I've seen people complain about players lack of enthusiasm in the ice and for me if the coach isn't showing enthusiasm it rubs off onto the players and we just fall flat in games.

I'm probably wrong but it's just how I saw things last night.
I understand what you’re saying about a coach’s attitude rubbing off onto the players, but if Skalde is losing it on the bench then it could transfer in the wrong way and players taking bad penalties, making bad decisions ( could be said this was happening anyway) because they are overly fired up?
Head coach keeping his head and Assistant coach showing the fire, motivation, losing it etc. Seems Skalde’s way.
I’m not saying which is right or wrong but I do know that if you win it’s the right way and if you lose and play like last night, put your crash helmet on.

Pembo

Steelers have recruited well and added to a strong core who are used to playing together, pretty much all the additions are level ups like Todd for O’Connor, they also had benefit of streaming series to try out some new players, several of which has stayed. They have some good young players on 2 ways coming through the Sheffield Steeldogs production line, Graham and Shudra look much better this season. Recent seasons we’ve had a strong core who are used to playing together, but this season is a bit different it’s start of a rebuild under somewhat difficult circumstances. Skalde in post match interviews is identifying the same sort of issues that are flagged on this forum. He’s not making excuses he seems quite frustrated. He can only work with what he’s got but it’s an older group rather than young developing players, so may be harder to teach old dogs new tricks. I have a feeling several faces won’t be brought back and hopefully we can hold onto some of our standouts to form a solid core going forward. If we can make top 3 in league this season and have a good playoff run & hold onto younger dynamic players like Waller, Cox, Sanford & retain Carruth will have been a decent transition season. My main concern is that assuming Dixon won’t play on for ever and DuPont may not be that player, we lack a Martin-like centre who will guarentee points/production looking forward to next few years.

Hockeymad

I'm not saying we should beat steelers as we have no right to.
But if we don't beat them without brust connolly de luca saxrud danielsen and who ever else was missing then we haven't got much hope have we.

moggy#9

Has anyone been able to find an explanation for why the video review wasn't possible last night?

I know that officiating is hard. The vantage point on the ice makes certain things very hard to see, but last night it did seem shambolic.

Swarley

We are getting more than our fair share of Hogarth. Not impressed with him last night.
He is hands down the worst official in the league, he doesn't hide the fact he hates Cardiff and doesn't mind showing his biased officiating and that ruined the game last night, I'm not saying we'd of won last night if hogarth had of been replaced but we'd of damn sure had a more honest chance at playing.

Earnie

I look down onto the time keepers table and noticed the usual computer screen for replay video was not there? Thus can’t blame the refs for giving the goal. Had the equipment been functioning it may have been ruled out.

august04 2.0

I can see how you have come to that opinion so I’m not going to say you’re wrong but respectfully I disagree. It’s a team game and the issues with this teams character go beyond a single player. You can change DuPont and I don’t think you’ll see a huge shift. Currently they don’t have the mentality to be champions. For me that sits with Skalde as coach and Ritchie as captain to address. Why is it an acceptable position that players on this team don’t have to physically challenge opposition defence men. That is inexcusable and someone needs to step up and set an example. There is more than just DuPonts game in question.

Take Crandall. Great player, doing really well this season. Like him a lot. But last night his physical play was two battles where he got pinned up on the boards and started roughing the D man and took a rubbish penalty for it. Now just because you are league leader in assists doesn’t exempt you from throwing body checks and then when you do get tangled up taking a dumb penalty. Your skill will get you personal accolades. Your heart and game intelligence will win you trophies.

This currently is not a team that knows what it takes to win this league. They need to work it out and quick. They are all hugely skilled guys. You look at how lethal that powerplay is if you give them space to work will destroy any team in the league so they have to clue in that to get the same space while playing 5on5 involves working in the traffic areas of the game and winning the physical 1x1 battles that occur.
I don’t disagree with you at all and DuPont is far from the only problem. I don't think we recruited particularly well in the off season, particularly the type of player suited to this league, and I do question the character of this team at times. Last night was pathetic. Now I’m sure they’ll win tonight after a rollicking but character, guts and passion have always been a given for most Devils teams. I’m not so sure about this one.

Sheincar

Steelers have recruited well and added to a strong core who are used to playing together, pretty much all the additions are level ups like Todd for O’Connor, they also had benefit of streaming series to try out some new players, several of which has stayed. They have some good young players on 2 ways coming through the Sheffield Steeldogs production line, Graham and Shudra look much better this season. Recent seasons we’ve had a strong core who are used to playing together, but this season is a bit different it’s start of a rebuild under somewhat difficult circumstances. Skalde in post match interviews is identifying the same sort of issues that are flagged on this forum. He’s not making excuses he seems quite frustrated. He can only work with what he’s got but it’s an older group rather than young developing players, so may be harder to teach old dogs new tricks. I have a feeling several faces won’t be brought back and hopefully we can hold onto some of our standouts to form a solid core going forward. If we can make top 3 in league this season and have a good playoff run & hold onto younger dynamic players like Waller, Cox, Sanford & retain Carruth will have been a decent transition season. My main concern is that assuming Dixon won’t play on for ever and DuPont may not be that player, we lack a Martin-like centre who will guarentee points/production looking forward to next few years.
But what he's got is what he's recruited. It's not like it would've been last season with a lot of Lordos team returning. He chose these players and if they're not performing it's down to him. Not a fan of his plus he's brought in several players who just aren't up to it. However he was getting very agitated, at one point banging a stick on the boards to get the refs attention. I feel this is a mid league team at best.

Mazzoak

Looking over my earlier post, I forgot to mention that I was pleased to see how we could play in CHL games, especially having had a short time for players to get to know each other. I am of the opinion that Skalde had put a team together that was suitable for competing in a fast open style against similar opposition. We proved it possible to play in that way and came away with some good results as well as competing with more skilled opposition. The difference between playing in the CHL and EIHL is like chalk and cheese, 2 totally different styles of play. The team he has assembled is under powered physically and not suited for our league. Yes, we need skilled and fast forwards, but you have to have physically bigger, gritty, hard working forwards who can stand up to the way EIHL defencemen play.
If that’s the case, which is a pretty feasible case, the responsibility falls at management & the owners doors. Just as the debate on physical hockey has been a regular feature so has questions on the CHL effecting the regular season performances. Maybe it’s time to accept the CHL just isn’t worth the agro, or maybe there is no issue beyond a few members unable to accept a few poor performances as a trade off to the CHL. Personally l think it’s the latter........

Last edited:

Mazzoak

But what he's got is what he's recruited. It's not like it would've been last season with a lot of Lordos team returning. He chose these players and if they're not performing it's down to him. Not a fan of his plus he's brought in several players who just aren't up to it. However he was getting very agitated, at one point banging a stick on the boards to get the refs attention. I feel this is a mid league team at best.
You can’t buy a new Rolls Royce with a budget for secondhand Ford........

bb1

I'm actually really happy with our current spot in the league given its a rebuild and new coach for us this season, my only gripe is Franny seems to have more passion and fire on the bench than Skalde has, last night he was stood hands in pockets while Franny was going apesh*t at the officials for bad decisions, it might be that skalde is more laid back and composed but I didn't see any signs of actual life from him until the last 5 minutes of the game.

I do still think skalde can do something great but something needs to ignite him and set him off, players work hard to get the fans going but seeing your coach shouting and throwing arms around and showing passion also helps the fans and the players in my opinion.
I agree. Skalde shows no passion on the bench like Franny does. At 0-4 he was just gazing at the screen and said nothing to the players..... Personally I think that his game plan could well be a huge part of the problem.....if not and it is the players then it is time to change it up and bring in a couple of new guys. They haven't got to be ex NHLers but a couple of guys who will bring the same effort every game like McNally, Crandall, Cox and Sandford who I'm sure won't be on mouthwatering wages.

august04 2.0

I agree. Skalde shows no passion on the bench like Franny does. At 0-4 he was just gazing at the screen and said nothing to the players..... Personally I think that his game plan could well be a huge part of the problem.....if not and it is the players then it is time to change it up and bring in a couple of new guys. They haven't got to be ex NHLers but a couple of guys who will bring the same effort every game like McNally, Crandall, Cox and Sandford who I'm sure won't be on mouthwatering wages.
Given the amount of intoxicated fans at most games, you’d think that beer money alone might provide some opportunities to bring in a replacement or two!

Swarley

Out of all the new guys I've seen Mcnally, Crandell, Cox and Sanford stand out for me, the goalies as well, the only time I heard any sort of vocal outburst on the bench was either Franny or Louis yelling at his team mates to get out on the ice because they were so so line changing.

I don't know what exactly skaldes game plan was but standing still and showing no interest or emotion really didn't work in his favour or in the teams favour, last 5 minutes of the game he came to life and the team responded with goal after goal, by then it was too little too late.

Gisland

So, Having played your main rivals, Sheffield, a few times and the Devils on a more "static" budget than during the Lord era, who would you say at this stage are the pretenders to the crown and who are the real deal? Sheffield for me look very confident in all areas on the ice

ASHIPP

It's the team that can build some constency and adapt their style that will go far in the EIHL.

Steelers playing with 3 imports missing and winning comfortably demonstrates this. They came into this season with a solid core of players who have been together, with their coach, for a few seasons. That stability helps.

It could be their season this year.

Gisland

It's the team that can build some constency and adapt their style that will go far in the EIHL.

Steelers playing with 3 imports missing and winning comfortably demonstrates this. They came into this season with a solid core of players who have been together, with their coach, for a few seasons. That stability helps.

It could be their season this year.
Agree with that. Steelers have that core belief in their play and style of play, alongside the ability to transfer that belief on the ice and into wins. Could very well be Orange ribbon that's tied around the league title this year.

bb1

So, Having played your main rivals, Sheffield, a few times and the Devils on a more "static" budget than during the Lord era, who would you say at this stage are the pretenders to the crown and who are the real deal? Sheffield for me look very confident in all areas on the ice
Steelers look impressive considering they have had players just come back who still aren't anywhere near 100% and a couple more that are out.

Giants tonight looked very sharp against what looked a tired Clan side.

Boucher and Conway are superb. Boucher reminds me a bit of Belesky when he did a stint here. Great speed and a player who gives it his all every shift. They look the 2 best teams so far.

Mazzoak

Given the amount of intoxicated fans at most games, you’d think that beer money alone might provide some opportunities to bring in a replacement or two!
Cardiff City Council don’t own the Devils, just the IAW which includes the bar. It’s the Corporate Sponsors who ultimately keep the club running, so don’t expect any changes there anytime soon........