Devils vs steelers - 6 Mar 20 - League

Thread starter #1
2 big games with trophies at stake.
Of course I would like us to win both games but considering this year's history, form and close match-up, the odds on winning one game each must be high.
Just posing the question:-
If you had to choose which game to win and which to lose, league game or Cup Final. Which would you choose?

tim78

I'm sure a win Friday will make Sunday's game a massive up hill battle. How many times have we seen a team deflated after a win or the other team extra charged.

We have home advantage just have to keep the crowd in the game. For me and probably most on here that simply means finishing every check (sensibly of course) and the best approach I've every heard is treating every period as a 20min game.

Hedd Wyn John

A result for me would be the Devils winning one game. The Cup final on Sunday is more important than the league game on Friday. But either way a win on Friday puts us in a strong position for the league so a loss afterwards on Sunday wouldn't be such a bad thing. Its hard to see the Devils winning both so I'd take 1 win. Losing both on the other hand (which I hope doesn't happen) would be a real blow & put the wind in the Steelers sails for the league. I know it's a sporting cliché but the Devils just have to take 1 game at a time. If our D performs well I'd say we're in a strong position. If our D fails to turn up like it did against Nottingham then we're gonna be in for a tough time.

moggy#9

Funnily enough I was only thinking about this question earlier. On the one hand Sunday is a banner in the rafters up for grabs and a euro place (albeit in the continental cup). On the other, Friday is, I feel, about more than a 4 pointer match. It's potentially about momentum. I think the critical thing for both matches is keeping it tight at the start. If Steelers get frustrated things will turn more and more in our favour. We have to keep their fans out of the game on Sunday. If I had to pick one, I'd say win Sunday, penalty shot loss Friday. I'm hoping we can do both, but I'm naturally pessimistic.

Cup win for sure. Losing the league game isn't ideal but there's still a way back from a loss in the league game. Sunday on the other hand is silver in the cabinet

hip check

Different viewpoint from me, I'd prefer to win the league game, takes us one step nearer the title at the expense of probably our nearest rivals and that is a true reflection of who's the best and most consistent team in the EIHL.
Losing the league game makes it more likely that Squealers would push on and feel that title just that little bit nearer.
Two points for us and none for them sounds better than the other way around.

ASHIPP

Winning the Cup game is an immediate result and (I think, could be wrong) gets the club qualification for the Continental Cup. Trophy in cabinet, everyone around the Club and the fans will be buzzing.

However, a win on Friday is absolutely monumental. It will put the Team ahead of the Steelers and in a great place for the run-in. No games in hand are guaranteed wins and I have always believed it's teams like Blaze and Flames who will really decide who are the League Champions this season.....we have massive games against both teams coming up that will influence our position.

For me it just has to be the League game on Friday. It could lead to so much. Hopefully Devils get a great result.... and see where it goes on Sunday.

Last edited:

The_Puck

That's right, but in the event that the Playoff and League winners are the same team, doesn't the Challenge Cup become a qualifier for the Continental Cup?
No, it goes to the loser of the playoff final. If the 2 finalists are the league winners and the other team is the playoff winner, the conti cup goes to the winner of the pointless 3rd/4th place game. That's how Nottingham got into the conti cup this year

pjj365

Nottingham qualified for the CC this season by virtue of finishing third in the league.
This is really off the wall but no doubt someone will correct me

Last year Cardiff were in CHL by invite - something to do with another team not being able to host games
Winner of Playoffs should have gone through to Conti - but that was Cardiff
So 3rd in leauge went through

So, if I'm right (and I fully accept I may not be) the routes to Europe are

League winner to CHL
PlayOffs winner to Conti

I think the extra CHL spot opened up via the continental cup. A team Kazakhstan team won in 2018-19 but they couldn't take up the CHL spot so that went to second place Belfast. That in turn meant the EIHL place went to runner up Cardiff.

The further knock on effect meant Cardiff didn't take up their Continental Cup spot from the Play-offs. The next in line for Continental Cup would have been the Challenge Cup winner, but they'd already qualified for CHL. Next in line was league runner up, but they'd already qualified for CHL so it fell to league 3rd place. It was a tangled web.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/european-qualification