Devils vs steelers - 6 Mar 20 - League

pjj365

I see some Steelers are complaining about abuse from devils fans towards them (which I find hard to believe, as why wouldn't it have been reported to the stewards), and towards duba? As I was watching on TV I couldn't pick up on any of this. What happened? To my mind winding up opposition players is fair game. In the past players like Rick strachen, Marc Bernard, Simon hunt and Tony hand would get merciless wind ups. Is this yet another case of Steelers fans being utter snowflakes because they don't get their own way?
Re Duba - how is it abuse just chanting his name?
He's a good guy - he didn't lose it like a certain Mr Stewart used to!

jimmy snels

The crowd (myself included) heckled him. no swearing. no abuse. if as a professional sportsman u cant take the crowd getting on your back by simply sarcastically chanting your own name might be time to go play chess.

jimmy snels

Just wondering if it was DOPS worthy????
no dont think it was. think it was probably a 2+10 for boarding. suprised haddad didnt blow his lid to be honest. I had a look around immediately and i think Connolly will be mightily relieved (as i was disappointed) louis batch jardine or Reilly wasnt on the ice. he might have had a far different reaction than Joey telling him what a cock he is.

moggy#9

i recall one from the WNIR days. There was a visiting goalie who’s brother was in jail.
We used to chant ‘we know where your brother is’ to wind him up!
I remember when John lawless went off to Manchester we had a song to wind him up (even though he was, and still is, a hero to us). It was too the tune of daydream believer: "cheer up Johnny lawless, oh what can it be, to have spent all your money on a crap hockey team..."

Slartibartfast

Goalie baiting is probably as old as hockey itself. Chanting a name is mild compared with some of the stuff I have heard over the years.
Possibly the worst was:-
2, 4, 6 and a quarter
XXXXs kid is XXXXs daughter.

Names removed for libel reasons. This was after it was rumoured that a certain player slept with a certain coaches wife.

voth26

Dominated from the start. The guys were hungry and motivated to the max. If we keep that level consistently, we'll be laughing at the end of the season. Linglet, Mosey, Masi and Jardine were all awesome tonight. Could mention more but they stuck in my mind following their performances. Would have thought Shuff will be much more up for it Sunday after that battering. If we get an early goal or two, I'd fancy another dominant performance. Best game of the season that I've been at so far!
Love how physical Masi is playing right now, got involved with the handbags with Riley as well plus took his goal well. fore checked like a devil lol

voth26

Any thoughts on the Connolly hit on Joey???
Happened right in front of us, no attempt to play the puck. Straight through Joeys numbers exactly the same hit Dixon put on flames player and got 2 game ban, if and its a big if would expect DOPS to give the same ban to the rinkrat

voth26

Brilliant performance last night! Masi took quite a few hits into the plexi in front of us, but bounced back after each one, saying (not literally) “is that all ya got?”. Would loved to have seen Riley get his hat trick, but his reaction after the fight was priceless and made up for it . Was important not to let Sheff get a quick score after the 3rd time of going 2 ahead. Officials let a lot of stuff go, especially in the 3rd, but it did kinda keep the game flowing. That being said, there were some bizarre decisions and I was beginning to think the orange armbands meant the refs were playing for Sheffield. Can’t remember which Sheff player it was, but he took one hell of a hit in the 3rd in front of us in 7 and for a few seconds looked like he didn’t know where he was. Cant wait to see the highlights of that game. Awesome job by all!
There was one attempted hit on Masi on the boards and he just dumped the guy on his butt instead

voth26

no dont think it was. think it was probably a 2+10 for boarding. suprised haddad didnt blow his lid to be honest. I had a look around immediately and i think Connolly will be mightily relieved (as i was disappointed) louis batch jardine or Reilly wasnt on the ice. he might have had a far different reaction than Joey telling him what a cock he is.
I honestly couldn't believe neither ref called it, plus how did Myers get called when Johnson was battering and cross checking the hell out of him!!. thought both refs were very poor

voth26

Well I wasn't expecting a game like that night to be honest, apart from first 2 mins we dominated the steelers. To a man the guys were definitely up for it, so many standouts but for me Bownsy was solid as we know he can be and he looked composed and relaxed, Jardine totally different player to start of the season, Masi was a menace all night plus playing a lot more physical, got involved in the handbags and took his goal well, Riley for me this is the Riley Belfast had he's hitting form now. Both Joeys enough said. Linglet looks sharp and hungry. I could go on and on, this half time in the weekend so still a job to do on Sunday and make no doubt Steelers will want revenge but we have to be patient and weather their storm like last night and if we can play as we did last night we have a pretty good chance.

JT666

I see some Steelers are complaining about abuse from devils fans towards them (which I find hard to believe, as why wouldn't it have been reported to the stewards), and towards duba? As I was watching on TV I couldn't pick up on any of this. What happened? To my mind winding up opposition players is fair game. In the past players like Rick strachen, Marc Bernard, Simon hunt and Tony hand would get merciless wind ups. Is this yet another case of Steelers fans being utter snowflakes because they don't get their own way?
If chanting “Uber for Duba” upsets them then it’s a damning indictment of how PC and humourless society is becoming.

Great game last night, only downside was the screeching young girls in block 18. All for bringing on the new generation to ice hockey, but random high pitched screaming with no relation to the on ice action ruins the game for the rest of the block around them.

moggy#9

If chanting “Uber for Duba” upsets them then it’s a damning indictment of how PC and humourless society is becoming.

Great game last night, only downside was the screeching young girls in block 18. All for bringing on the new generation to ice hockey, but random high pitched screaming with no relation to the on ice action ruins the game for the rest of the block around them.
I really like that one.

I think it's just elements in hockey. Let's just say that Sheffield and Belfast are cut from the same cloth.

Hedd Wyn John

I'm not bothered by the Uber for Duba chants, that's just banter, but there were some in block 13 getting personal. One on twitter said the guy called his wife an "Orange slag". That is just not on. We don't need that in our game.
Bang on but in a crowd of 3000 or so unfortunately there'll always be a small number of idiots spoiling things for everyone else.

One on twitter said the guy called his wife an "Orange slag". That is just not on. We don't need that in our game.[/QUOTE]

All uncorroborated accusations designed to deflect attention from a dreadful hammering of their team is more likely.
One accusation levelled on twitter by a disgruntled Steeler fan was that she went to a restaurant in Cardiff for a meal and when those in the restaurant discovered they were English, everyone started speaking Welsh!!!
This is Cardiff we’re talking about not Llangollen, there’s about as much chance of going to Rome for a weekend break and complaining that everyone was speaking Latin!
Absolutely laughable!
White noise I’m afraid.