Devils Vs Steelers - 6 & 7 Apr 19 -Play Off Quarter Finals

Paul Sullivan

No. They almost lost it again to a team they absolutely dominated all season. Outside of some super human efforts by Myers, Batch, Dixon and Martin they were dominated most of the night.

Quite frankly it's not good enough for a team that should have won the league. Coasting during the last 5 games of the season cost us, and several players just didnt turn up tonight.
Maybe it's the angle of my viewing position but I did not see a dominant Steelers team tonight. At all. Quite the reverse in fact, for me.

E.D.S.

Great performance lads.
Well done. Couldn’t ask for anymore right now. It feels like we’re limping towards the end of the season but the guys are giving it their all. A fun weekend in Nottingham awaits courtesy of our lads. Thank you.

tim78

Going to have a Lush day today, going to watch Devils v Steelers all over again with toast and coffee.Bring it on.
Happy Hockey Days
As much as the ups and downs of this season at least we had a final home game to remember and relish in the off season. Alot has to be said for the checking, dirty plays and poor reffing do add a lot to the intensity of game (as long as we're on the winning side). Record button's ready to kick in at 3:30PM

jimmy snels

it would seem to be against the majority but i didnt think the refs had a bad game at all. they were very consistent in not calling certain types of penalties which allowed for a rough and tumble game that the play offs are traditionally about in N.A.

anyhow, the usual suspects put in a 110% game and got us over that line imo. joey martin is the main man but benti and hedden give such a lot to the cause as well on his line.
thought louis richie and mosey had good games. also though Myers raised the levels for this one.
also ulmers tip ins in front are a thing of beauty. i could sense it coming!

dixon for me should be signed now. he doesnt take a night off. he really shows you can play a hitting game in a big rink putting to rest that silly rhetoric that since we moved from the tent you cant.

Last edited:

Gough60

What a game. 5-1 down at one point and to come back and win as we did was fantastic. WELL DONE all. Players, coaching staff, management and the fans. Great levels of noise last night even after those 2 quick goals against us.
I thought there were lots of 100% performances out there last night but did think Dixon was outstanding. Hit almost every single steeler during his shifts and set the tone. Once again WELL DONE.
I also noticed Mr O'conner making a point of lengthy hugs & hand shakes at the end. Bye Bye Ben?

probably the beat game i have watched for a long time last night. hard hitting, gutsy performance. we needed the win and we got it. was a bit twitchy at times but we got there. perform like that next weekend and i'll be happy.

Gazza272

What a game. 5-1 down at one point and to come back and win as we did was fantastic. WELL DONE all. Players, coaching staff, management and the fans. Great levels of noise last night even after those 2 quick goals against us.
I thought there were lots of 100% performances out there last night but did think Dixon was outstanding. Hit almost every single steeler during his shifts and set the tone. Once again WELL DONE.
I also noticed Mr O'conner making a point of lengthy hugs & hand shakes at the end. Bye Bye Ben?
I think it was more of a case of O'connor taking up the mantle of Leader and simply showing his appreciation to his team mates. I'd be surprised if he left.

I was far more concerned with the lengthy delay leaving the ice of one of our players :(

Nah, gonna be a repeat of last season. Its everyone else that's going.

RedDevil17

I was far more concerned with the lengthy delay leaving the ice of one of our players :(
I thought that was a one final goodbye from Ulmer doing the wave and a major acknowledgement of the crowd. I can see him hanging up the skates. Say what you want but he’s stepped up and led by example in big games. If he’s to stay however he’s my captain. Him or Dicko.

Benti is a worry he was waving all around the ice and majorly acknowledging the crowd. Potentially a final goodbye as well?

Not sure about Charlie either if I’m honest, maybe it’s because his kids wanted to do it but I’m honestly not sure whether he’ll be back. He could retire but apparently he’s on a 2 year deal as part of his uni course.

Fingers crossed all 3 come back!

Gazza272

I thought that was a one final goodbye from Ulmer doing the wave and a major acknowledgement of the crowd. I can see him hanging up the skates. Say what you want but he’s stepped up and led by example in big games. If he’s to stay however he’s my captain. Him or Dicko.

Benti is a worry he was waving all around the ice and majorly acknowledging the crowd. Potentially a final goodbye as well?

Not sure about Charlie either if I’m honest, maybe it’s because his kids wanted to do it but I’m honestly not sure whether he’ll be back. He could retire but apparently he’s on a 2 year deal as part of his uni course.

Fingers crossed all 3 come back!
I was chatting to John Donovan about this last night, and we both agreed that if it were the final season for Ulmer, it may only be 3 years but what a huge impact he has had.

Huge goals, brought a winning mentality to the locker room, and a fabulous hockey player. I hope he stays, but if it is his last (and i'm only basing that on his body language of last night) then let's lift another piece of Silver with him next weekend.

d20

I think at some point soon the league has to look at now getting a proper playoff series going ,if we had a 5 or 7 game series v the steelers the games would be awesome going on last nights the rivalry between 2 teams with so much at stake would be great to watch.

Our play off format is very poor and its harder to win the challenge cup than the play offs,maybe we need to bin the challenge cup ,start the league early at the end of august and then that will give the league and earlier finish and time to go into a 5 game series very similar to what a lot of countries and leagues do,we would lose the play off weekend but we need to be matching other leagues and play off systems.

i love the play off weekend but id much rather see a 5 game series .

tim78

How many world sports have the NHL type playoffs?

I wouldn't want the Nottingham weekend to disappear it's a big part of UK Hockey for me.

mjh

Yeah I'd be up for a proper playoff series. Wouldn't mind seeing the back of the challenge Cup if necessary. I know the arguments about scheduling etc but I think a best of 7 or even 5 would be awesome.

BostonBart22

Fantastic game last night edge of seat stuff, proper playoff hockey at its best over the 2 games ,think we made more hits last night than in the last month or so, same please saturday ...oh and sunday ...lets do this for a few players who may not be here again next season..