Devils Vs Steelers - 18 Jan 20 - League

august04

There’s only been one goalie over the last few seasons that won games for their team and that was Beskowany, or whatever his name was, he was worth a three goal start. Myself I would have Bownsy in my team eight days a week.
He’d be in my team too. But with an import partner to provide the necessary competition, to push eachother to get better and to allow him to play more sensible minutes.

Sorry but I disagree there's a tonne of difference to the last few weeks, you can't say these guys didn't put 110% effort in tonight, Steelers will know they were in a physical game tonight.
Well said, it was a great game of hockey to watch. Couple of mistakes defensively but it happens.

Mazzoak

Sorry but I disagree there's a tonne of difference to the last few weeks, you can't say these guys didn't put 110% effort in tonight, Steelers will know they were in a physical game tonight.
Player for player we are a far superior team, on paper, I’m sorry but had our go to guys put in 110 % we’d be having a different debate.
If I’m wrong and your right, then that 110% effort makes this result even worse, entertaining a game as that was, if that’s 110% effort, we’ve got far greater issues than has been repeatedly discussed and debated here every month since the second month of the season.

CaldicotDevil

Amazing game and great advert for the EIHL. We've got a good squad which creates a lot of chances but we're just missing that out & out lethal goal scorer, Sheffield have it with Vallerand. Imo we're missing Ulmer this year.

doron

watching the match on telly. i thought the ref had a good game, apart from some icing calls the ref add a good view of everything
the game flowed well, and fast, it was a hard-hitting game but fair
(well that's my view anyway lol)

Wannabe2

Spot on, we gave it all tonight, and nobody emphasised that more than Marjamaki. We looked very good tonight as a team,but those buggers from up the road don’t know when they are beaten, and in fairness they are playing some great hockey.

Player for player we are a far superior team, on paper, I’m sorry but had our go to guys put in 110 % we’d be having a different debate.
If I’m wrong and your right, then that 110% effort makes this result even worse, entertaining a game as that was, if that’s 110% effort, we’ve got far greater issues than has been repeatedly discussed and debated here every month since the second month of the season.
Cobblers, you are just not "far superior". We were missing two top scorers tonight in Dowd and DeLuca. Credit where credit's due eh?

Diablo3

I'm not sure what you are expecting out of this team, but it seems to me you should be watching the NHL instead to get the level you are after. The guys gave everything out there and to say they didn't is disingenuous.

doron

after tonight. this league is looking very interesting, it could come down to the last 2 games.
also
Sheffield and Cardiff
i think both teams are perfectly matched but in different ways.

zoesdevil

Amazing game and great advert for the EIHL. We've got a good squad which creates a lot of chances but we're just missing that out & out lethal goal scorer, Sheffield have it with Vallerand. Imo we're missing Ulmer this year.
I love Vallerand, always plays with an edge!! Great player & would love here!!

Diafol

Anyone else here old enough to remember "Mad Cap" ?
He /she had a "controversial" column in the programme during the first EIHL season.
One column stuck with me - it divided Devils fans into 2 camps, the "Lennons" and the "Meldrews".

Lennons were fans who viewed the team with rose-tinted hippy glasses and insisted they could do no wrong.

Meldrews were fans who were eternally pessimistic and grumbled about anything and everything.

It's sort of comforting to know that 16 years later the theory still holds true !

Back on topic...
There have been many fans on here complaining lately about the lack of entertainment.
I hope tonight has killed that off.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the result.
Yes it hurts not to get anything from it.
The league title is still in our hands though.

Yours sincerely
Victor Lennon

Diablo3

Anyone else here old enough to remember "Mad Cap" ?
He /she had a "controversial" column in the programme during the first EIHL season.
One column stuck with me - it divided Devils fans into 2 camps, the "Lennons" and the "Meldrews".

Lennons were fans who viewed the team with rose-tinted hippy glasses and insisted they could do no wrong.

Meldrews were fans who were eternally pessimistic and grumbled about anything and everything.

It's sort of comforting to know that 16 years later the theory still holds true !

Back on topic...
There have been many fans on here complaining lately about the lack of entertainment.
I hope tonight has killed that off.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the result.
Yes it hurts not to get anything from it.
The league title is still in our hands though.

Yours sincerely
Victor Lennon
Funny thing is, I keep getting likened to Victor Meldrew, especially when I need to complain about something, but in reality I'm very much in the Lennon camp with the Devils.

Swarley

watching the match on telly. i thought the ref had a good game, apart from some icing calls the ref add a good view of everything
the game flowed well, and fast, it was a hard-hitting game but fair
(well that's my view anyway lol)
He missed two clear penalties two of which was Dixon getting a fist in the face twice in front of the officials after the whistle had blown.

Over all credit where its due the steelers conditioning proved we couldn't keep up during some parts we lost by one goal which showed we fought until the end and I can't ask them to do more than that especially when other teams are losing against these guys by 3 or 4 goals.

BostonBart22

Best game by far for a long time, the 2 teams gave it their all , shame about the result i felt we deserved a point at least but not to be, this title is far from over, even nottingham are in with a chance as it stands, sure the boys will have the bouncebackability and get something from dundee today..

moggy#9

Just remember if we had a nettie that didn’t make mistakes every now and then, he certainly wouldn’t be in this league, if your perfect you ain’t going to be here.
Which is exactly why you need a decent netminding tandem. Bownsy is going to be playing a huge number of games this season. I'm really concerned that he'll end up burnt out or injured - then who are GB going to use in the world champs?

Ibbz9

Bowns is not the issue. His workload is. I have said it before that his icetime over the last 5 years dwarfs any other netminder in the UK. He has played upto the playoff final most years, then has GB and over the last few years, his pre-season is early due to the CHL (which is more games and travel). Need to put faith in Lawday/Murdy. Target the Challenge Cup and target two teams in the league where Bowns can have nights off.
The amount that he is playing, he simply cannot be the star guy every night. It is certainly not Bowns fault.