Devils Vs steelers - 03 Feb 19 - League

BostonBart22

From what I understand, the review would have happened at whatever the next break in play was, even if it was a goal for the other team (or for the Devils for that matter).

The elapsed time simply gets put back on the clock and play continues from the goal as if the rest of it never happened.
well explained , cheers..

Earnie

As august04 said , I and those around me in B19 ,were 100% sure it was a goal.
The goal judge should have kept the light on. ( that is if he also was sure)

Hedd Wyn John

I, and everyone else around me, was 100% sure that it was a goal. The ref was a few feet away in perfect position behind the goal and didn’t see it. Mind you, they didn’t see a check to the head last week either.
Myself sitting way off in block 20 saw that the puck hit the net on the inside & bounced back out so knew it was a goal straight away.

Last edited:

voth26

I'm in block 5 and I knew it was a goal soon as it went in, you could see the netting move. Hell of a shot from Livingston

Kipper

I had a chat with Darnell on twitter about this yesterday as i understand how the challenge would work & if Sheffield scored in that time their goal wouldn't count.

Interestingly - you could see clear as day the guys in the time keepers box agree it was a goal about 10-15 seconds after and they were ready for the review immediately.

However for some reason in the EIHL the rules do not allow the off-ice officials to blow a whistle or sound a horn to stop the play (In the NHL you will hear a goalhorn in the middle of play for example), only the referees can blow any play dead.
all I can do is find the clip the referees need to see. They have to make the decision based on what the video shows or if it’s not conclusive, stick with the on ice decision

Temme

all I can do is find the clip the referees need to see. They have to make the decision based on what the video shows or if it’s not conclusive, stick with the on ice decision
Yeah i knew this one Kip, one question though which you haven't got to answer -
are you employed/paid by the EIHL or Devils? (I think it's EIHL??)

Only reason i ask a personal question like that is because if you are employed by the EIHL then it is strange that you guys as off-ice officials can't blow the game dead if there is a non-call on a goal - something that happens in other leagues around the world.
Obviously if you were employed by the Devils then i completely understand why the referees need to check it first, but i think you are EIHL officials? (i've seen your jackets ;) )!

Again please don't think i'm quizzing you for answers, tell me where to go if you like, It's just a question about why the league 'currently' doesn't allow the guys with the video to make a call :)

In all fairness to the answer Darnell gave on twitter it does seem like it's something they are going to look at in future though.

Kipper

Yeah i knew this one Kip, one question though which you haven't got to answer -
are you employed/paid by the EIHL or Devils? (I think it's EIHL??)

Only reason i ask a personal question like that is because if you are employed by the EIHL then it is strange that you guys as off-ice officials can't blow the game dead if there is a non-call on a goal - something that happens in other leagues around the world.
Obviously if you were employed by the Devils then i completely understand why the referees need to check it first, but i think you are EIHL officials? (i've seen your jackets ;) )!

Again please don't think i'm quizzing you for answers, tell me where to go if you like, It's just a question about why the league 'currently' doesn't allow the guys with the video to make a call :)

In all fairness to the answer Darnell gave on twitter it does seem like it's something they are going to look at in future though.
All of the off ice match officials are volunteers mate. I do get the occasional bottle of water though but don’t tell anyone

Kipper

All of the off ice match officials are volunteers mate. I do get the occasional bottle of water though but don’t tell anyone
Technically it would be difficult to blow up during play even if we were allowed. I have to keep monitoring play in case of further incidents so more often than not don’t have the opportunity to check a replay until a stoppage.

Wannabe2

We are very lucky to have you Kip, a more dedicated good man who cares just isn’t out there, I have witnessed first hand how much this club means to you, and it’s immense and I mean immense. We sometimes talk about players being real Devils, well you my good friend are just that, a real Devil. We have a great history buddy, and long may it last. Thanks Kip.

pjj365

Reading this thread I can't help but think how useful it would be to have an explanation of all off-ice officials roles

We all think we know what they do but to know the full scope and responsibilities would be fascinating

e.g. we know goal judges count shots on goal but what is a shot on goal, penalty box "guardians" are time keepers but where do they get the time from etc.

Any offers to do this?

Kipper

We are very lucky to have you Kip, a more dedicated good man who cares just isn’t out there, I have witnessed first hand how much this club means to you, and it’s immense and I mean immense. We sometimes talk about players being real Devils, well you my good friend are just that, a real Devil. We have a great history buddy, and long may it last. Thanks Kip.
Thanks for the kind words Glynne much appreciated. My colleagues Clare, Corky, Janine and Nic have been doing it a lot longer than me mind

Kipper

Reading this thread I can't help but think how useful it would be to have an explanation of all off-ice officials roles

We all think we know what they do but to know the full scope and responsibilities would be fascinating
I’ll give you a précis later