Devils Vs Stars - 2 Dec 18 - League

Ocko

I’m fearful of what we’d be like if we were without Linglet or Martin. I don’t think we played that badly, we’re just missing some killer instinct in front of goal, some grit and some real nastiness.

FWIW I think Reddick is playing his best ever hockey for us. I would also be happy to see Lordo dress and play the next game instead of about 10 imports. I just think our balance is off in our bottom two lines. Ulmer and Morisette are not bottom 6 type players. It’s not their game. Admittedly neither are good enough for the top two lines either, but it feels a case of just trying to shoehorn them into the team on lines where we need a bit more identity.

bb1

I’m fearful of what we’d be like if we were without Linglet or Martin. I don’t think we played that badly, we’re just missing some killer instinct in front of goal, some grit and some real nastiness.

FWIW I think Reddick is playing his best ever hockey for us. I would also be happy to see Lordo dress and play the next game instead of about 10 imports. I just think our balance is off in our bottom two lines. Ulmer and Morisette are not bottom 6 type players. It’s not their game. Admittedly neither are good enough for the top two lines either, but it feels a case of just trying to shoehorn them into the team on lines where we need a bit more identity.
Completely agree. Need a Lord type guy up top who stand in front of net and do the gritty stuff.

What I wouldn't give to see Lord in our line up.

During a game like that of the giants when things werent going our way'

Dixon Lord Faryna.........................all on one energy line. The roof would come off the building with those guys out there. But ATM we cant sell out thew rink!

The best line I have seen in the Elite league has to be the line of Keefe and Lloyd. I think the 3rd was Peacock. That line terrorized teams for years. They played the same way every shift no matter the scoreline.

That little bit of nastiness and intensity is what we need. Lordo like Keefe brought that game in game out for us.

Now the giants have it in Riley and Rutherford. Character guys.

Hedd Wyn John

We just cant core at the moment whilst clearly the better team. Plenty of golden opportunities but failed to convert as in MK game.
So the positive for this thread is......
Win our game in hand, then beat Giants on weekends and we top of league. SIMPLES.
We’re gonna need to massively up our game to beat the Giants after that performance last night.

Temme

Completely agree. Need a Lord type guy up top who stand in front of net and do the gritty stuff.

The best line I have seen in the Elite league has to be the line of Keefe and Lloyd. I think the 3rd was Peacock. That line terrorized teams for years. They played the same way every shift no matter the scoreline.

That little bit of nastiness and intensity is what we need. Lordo like Keefe brought that game in game out for us.

Now the giants have it in Riley and Rutherford. Character guys.
With respect; best line is probably stretching it a little bit. Most entertaining maybe?
They were for me as entertaining together (Garside was their third) as Voth, Finnerty & Hill were in the BBT days.

Worth the entrance fee alone to watch Lloyd and Keefe cause havoc.

For me the best line ever is either the AC/DC combination, or Pelle-Matzka-Birbraer.

august04

The second period was better than the first for me? I don't think Dundee had a decent chance in the second period, and we were camped in thier zone for large portions. Had Hedden's goal been allowed we may have romped it.
We were camped in their zone but we did we get out of it? Not a lot frankly. That last comment is ridiculous, you could say what ifs about anything. There’s no getting away from it, that wasn’t good enough and what concerns me even more is that Lord stated in his interview that the “second period was great”. Really?! I thought we were very average throughout.

bb1

With respect; best line is probably stretching it a little bit. Most entertaining maybe?
They were for me as entertaining together (Garside was their third) as Voth, Finnerty & Hill were in the BBT days.

Worth the entrance fee alone to watch Lloyd and Keefe cause havoc.

For me the best line ever is either the AC/DC combination, or Pelle-Matzka-Birbraer.
Keefe and Lloyd did it for a long period. What they did completely changed games and terrified teams. When I refer to the best line Im referring to them being the most productive and best at what they were supposed to do. That line could do it all. People won't give them the credit they deserved because they were hated.....all because they were excellent at what they did. Its a line that would be welcomed into any EIHL team even now.

Gazza272

We were camped in their zone but we did we get out of it? Not a lot frankly. That last comment is ridiculous, you could say what ifs about anything. There’s no getting away from it, that wasn’t good enough and what concerns me even more is that Lord stated in his interview that the “second period was great”. Really?! I thought we were very average throughout.
I guess my point on the disallowed goal is that if it were given, we would have gotten two goals out of our pressure.

If we were not playing well, we would not have had as much zone time as we did. There were a couple of pucks that were cleared off the line, a disallowed goal, an actual goal and Hedden had a chance he probably should have put away.

I guess I just don't equate Not taking out chances meaning we didn't play well. We did play well and with better finishing and dare I say a bit more luck would have got better rewards.

august04

I guess my point on the disallowed goal is that if it were given, we would have gotten two goals out of our pressure.

If we were not playing well, we would not have had as much zone time as we did. There were a couple of pucks that were cleared off the line, a disallowed goal, an actual goal and Hedden had a chance he probably should have put away.

I guess I just don't equate Not taking out chances meaning we didn't play well. We did play well and with better finishing and dare I say a bit more luck would have got better rewards.
Dundee had a “goal” disallowed too....or are we just glossing over that?
I guess I must expect more from the Devils than you. That wasn’t great for me against the bottom of the table team and we did not play well in my opinion last night. Indeed if we play like that against the likes of Belfast, Nottingham, the new Sheffield, Guildford - we’ll get nothing.

with regards to the goal that wasn't

Lordo said in his interview that the goal technology wasn't working.

on ice Rose awarded the goal. Am assuming that Thompson called high stick.

if video evidence is not available and cannot be reviewed is it then just determined by which Ref has the more seniority, or by some other means sucj as who will back down first as Rose saw it all just as much as Thompson

personally In that split second felt it was high stick but have been proven wrong as you are talking under split seconds to see such things ....Hedden indicated to bench (I sit just behind it) that it was good...and Lords reaction showed a lot.

I know in other sports where it is not clear either by discussion or video evidence that on ice,field whatever it is call is the one that is adhered too

Gazza272

Dundee had a “goal” disallowed too....or are we just glossing over that?
I guess I must expect more from the Devils than you. That wasn’t great for me against the bottom of the table team and we did not play well in my opinion last night. Indeed if we play like that against the likes of Belfast, Nottingham, the new Sheffield, Guildford - we’ll get nothing.

Nope, but we were discussing the second period I thought? and the Dundee goal was in the third?

I thought we did play well in the second and third, and then when we conceded we got sloppy, and it was clear nerves kicked in and the tension mounted in the building and we couldn't see it through. We need to be more calm and confident in our game management.

If we play like we did in the first and second against the teams we mention, and we are clinical, then I believe we would/will win those games.

august04

I’m commenting on the whole game, including the second period. Unfortunately, being up after 2 doesn’t get you any points. It’s a 60 minute game (plus OT/pens when needed) and playing “well” for 1 or 2 periods doesn’t cut the mustard, as last night showed - and not for the first time this season.

kettdevil1

Well it’s becoming challenging, which is a good thing. To pull out of a slump, beat equally competitive competition and win a championship is far more satisfying and gives credibility to those involved.
This might be the wrong post to quote but.... are we really in a slump? We are a corrected second in the table, and despite not being at our best, we are still picking up points by the bucketload. I am trying to work out our form and I think if we keep going at the rate we have since the Belfast game, we should win the league reasonably comfortably.

I also seem to be one of the few who is thoroughly enjoying this season. Linglet is a joy to watch and when he is on the ice with Martin, it is as good a spectacle as I have seen in almost 30 years. In addition we have Louis back to his best, Faryna being Faryna and the emergence of Duggan, Ruttkis and Moore have given us a glimpse into the future. We do struggle to be at our best for 60 minutes but frankly 40 minutes at the level we often hit is not bad at all. Looking at how competitive the league is, I don’t think anyone will be blowing out teams week in and week out.

Sorry for being so positive but I am struggling to work out the doom..... there are things to work on but if dropping two points in eight games is a slump then I fear for every other team as they must be at Armageddon ....

Gazza272

This might be the wrong post to quote but.... are we really in a slump? We are a corrected second in the table, and despite not being at our best, we are still picking up points by the bucketload. I am trying to work out our form and I think if we keep going at the rate we have since the Belfast game, we should win the league reasonably comfortably.

I also seem to be one of the few who is thoroughly enjoying this season. Linglet is a joy to watch and when he is on the ice with Martin, it is as good a spectacle as I have seen in almost 30 years. In addition we have Louis back to his best, Faryna being Faryna and the emergence of Duggan, Ruttkis and Moore have given us a glimpse into the future. We do struggle to be at our best for 60 minutes but frankly 40 minutes at the level we often hit is not bad at all. Looking at how competitive the league is, I don’t think anyone will be blowing out teams week in and week out.

Sorry for being so positive but I am struggling to work out the doom..... there are things to work on but if dropping two points in eight games is a slump then I fear for every other team as they must be at Armageddon ....
We have picked up 12 of the last 14 points available I believe.

BostonBart22

We also need more regulation wins as ot results could hurt us at the end of season. Giants zip on ot at mo so regular wins in 60 mins are crucial

ASHIPP

Last night symptomatic of the pattern that has been developing over recent weeks - incapable of closing out tight games, conceding very late goals, poor shooting accuracy, defensive mistakes, being caught out of position, not clinical enough.

Another Jekyll and Hyde weekend. Unfortunately .500 hockey does not get you into the top 4 positions in the League....let alone playing well enough to win anything. Confident road performances and a horror show on home ice.

The top teams are finding ways to be clinical, to execute a plan to beat the outstanding opposition goalie, to play as a team with every player knowing his role and on settled lines with settled partnerships.

Missing two key defencemen did not help last night...... but last year the Devils managed to win in Belfast whilst missing 4 players. They dominate games this season but can't seem to nail those things that came so easily to them last season.

Concentrating for 60 minutes is the root cause of many of these issues above. But there are other observations too obvious to ignore. Whilst several players are not at their best, it's clear there are one or two players who are now struggling with the speed and aggression of the current game, being left behind or steamrollered out of the way. A season or two too many for these guys. One or two others look disinterested and disenchanted.... has the realisation that it is not a cakewalk finally dawned? And where is strong leadership? Linglet and Martin lead the way with their skill and professionalism but who else is stepping up consistently?

Lordo has been given the resources to get the job done. His players are treated well by the club. Perhaps a harsh reality check is required to bring them down to earth? Dundee travelled by coach all the way to Cardiff after a game the previous night. The Devils had the luxury of flying, so no excuses for bus legs and they should have been buoyed by the previous night in Fife. Not much energy or happiness evident out on the ice during the warm up last night.

Was going to go to the midweek game against Guildford but I'll do my Christmas shopping instead. At least I will know what I'm getting! At the moment, the loyal home fans turn up to games and don't know what will happen.

kingmo19.1

Watch the first 1 minute of the highlights and you can see Dundee set the early tempo and were far more aggressive that us - that should never happen in our own rink.

Makes me wonder if we really wanted it, they did and MK did the week before!

Not sure if our team is one you’d want with you in the trenches. A very soft underbelly as somebody alluded to earlier - can’t disagree.

I think we’ve been worked out - we’re non-physical, non contact and to coin a phrase Cardiff don’t like it up them!

Apart from wanting to score pretty goals and overplay everything we’re not doing much!

The team on-ice personality is directly opposite the on-ice personality of the coach!

Boring to watch and the whole on-ice experience appears to have been sterilised.