Devils Vs SC Bern - Sat 1st Sept 2018 7.15 - CHL

august04

There was a distinct divide between the ‘normal’ Bern fans at the top part of the away block and the ‘ultras’ closely packed together in the bottom half. I had expected it after the Nottingham reports last year but luckily can’t say I really witnessed anything last night. I think there’s a fine line though between what we saw and some major public disorder and a couple of security guards are not going to be able to handle that. We’d better get used to it if we’re going to be regulars in the CHL.

Ocko

One of the best performances I’ve seen from a Devils team. A really superb game against one of the best sides the Devils have faced in their history.

The 1-4 trap executed superbly, Lord adjusted the team defensively to not give up the odd man rush and it worked very well. We didn’t over commit if we didn’t have the puck which gave our D the best chance.

Controversial comment as he was loved, but, Ben Blood is an upgrade on Strachan. He does everything right, strong, can skate with the puck and he is unbelievably physical. From what I’ve seen of him he could be one of our best all round D men if he continues.

Also impressed with Dixon and Hedden. Hadn’t noticed then a great deal in pre season but really have the past few games. Both very physical, Dixon in particular made more hits last night than Faryna, that tells it’s own story. Hedden is also showing what a high end player he.

Very impressed with this team in the past 2 games. We look so physical compared to the past few seasons much more grit and hits being thrown.

Hedd Wyn John

I did read somewhere a while ago that nottingham fans were warning us of bern fans behaviour in nottingham, a lot are football fans, couldve done with a few more stewards knowing what they were going to be like..
More security was needed, stewards ain’t gonna cut it with Ultras .

Personally I’d have filmed them more if it wound them up.

pjj365

More security was needed, stewards ain’t gonna cut it with Ultras .

Personally I’d have filmed them more if it wound them up.
Talking to the young lads on the barriers they told us that they had been warned by CHL that

- some of the supporters were banned from home games
- some had criminal records for violence

They also told us they were ready! As there were only individual outbreaks of "trouble" and no ultra type hooliganism you can draw your own conclusions

A similar warning was issued for Davos last year so maybe a false sense of security had developed. These guys (but not all supporters including those I talked to) were a step up on Davos

tim78

The new players are definately making the cut.

Linglet is show signs of settling, I do think he'll need time to adjust and we see gradual see the bst out of him as the season goes on.

argh another 2 weeks to wait, be interesting to see how the next Panthers game goes after we've been playing the tougher teams.

Devil94

Those are the type of supporters i wish we had in our league. They were outstanding and really added to the match night experience to go with the superb spectacle on the ice.

We like to think we have loud supporters in this league, especially us devils fans, but when you experience European fans you realise we aren't even close to what can be achieved. Can't see any way it would take off over here though unfortunately.

Wannabe2

Not for me either, we have our way of supporting and celebrating, and they have theirs, and for me they can stick their way where the sun don’t shine. I enjoy my nights at our gaff just as they are thank you.

Devil94

Not for me thanks. The noise and drums and jumping up and down and flag waving - would do my head in!!
Not for me either, we have our way of supporting and celebrating, and they have theirs, and for me they can stick their way where the sun don’t shine. I enjoy my nights at our gaff just as they are thank you.
The usual drone sound of the word 'devils' over a 100 times by 20 people does my head in...

You're right they have their own way, and it is much better than ours. They were much louder than yesterday with the 40 or so ultras yesterday vs our 2000+. Those fans that were in Davos last year will remember how the big terrace behind the goal looked and sounded. It's not just about the volume either, it's the energy, the varied and different chants, flags, drums etc.

Mooney#16

The singing, chanting, flags and banners all lend themselves to a high energy environment which can be rather intoxicating. If it’s pro your team i’m all for it but it’s so easy for that energy to get turned and misdirected by idiotic ultras with a violent agenda that sometimes it’s not woe h promoting.

I think the atmosphere at IAW would probably benefit from the fans who are prepared to be vocal being more closely located together and any drummers being a bit more pro active and probably larger in number and also with a drum with far more base to it but it’s very much a chicken and egg scenario.

BostonBart22

Shocked some were let in tbh, me and my son walked through that lot as we were going to morrisons, we had a few insults and usual hand gestures as well, then we got to morrisons one of their fans was pissing in the bushes, our security are quick enough to chuck drunks out but to let some of them in in their state was madness...

solelace84

This pretty much sums up the security's attitude towards the abusive behaviour exhibited by several Bern fans. I personally couldn't care what they said to me, because I gave it right back... But to a defenseless 14 year old girl.... Disgraceful. No wonder they're banned from their own rink!

Screenshot_20180902-175300.jpg

Slartibartfast

Great to see so many positive comments after two losses. Shows how well most Devils fans understand hockey and appreciate a team giving everything.
Despite the two losses I think everyone can see the potential for this team in the domestic league this season and even a couple of wins in the CHL are possible.
I can't agree more with the comments people are making about Blood. He has stood out from day one. He is brilliant defensively and is now showing an offensive side to his game also.
Dixon is indeed a checking machine with plenty of skill and Hedden looks like he could score a lot of goals this year.
I agree that we have probably not seen the best of Linglet yet but he has had a few weeks out and may be wary if his hand hasn't fully healed. (He took a slash to the hand if I remember correctly and Im assuming that it fractured a finger or something).
The thought of Myers coming back and causing chaos in front of goal is a tantalising one.

terry hunt

Checked the results for the week.
I hadnt realised Bern had beaten the Lakers in their first game.
They must have come to cardiff expecting a pusshover.

Hedd Wyn John

Talking to the young lads on the barriers they told us that they had been warned by CHL that

They also told us they were ready! As there were only individual outbreaks of "trouble" and no ultra type hooliganism you can draw your own conclusions

A similar warning was issued for Davos last year so maybe a false sense of security had developed. These guys (but not all supporters including those I talked to) were a step up on Davos
I heard similar stuff about Davos last year but at least their ultras were happy enough to play beach balls with local kids.

bozman

I felt a bit for the stewards to be honest, they are not trained to eject troublesome people and are definitely not paid enough for that

Temme

they are not trained to eject troublesome people and are definitely not paid enough for that
I wasn't at the game, so can't comment on this individual situation.

I'm just curious - do we need to look at additional security for these games then if the stewards 'aren't paid enough'?
As if they are unable to deal with these kinds of situations, there's no point in them being there, they are effectively indoor lollipop ladies - i refer back to the BBT days, where all the stewards were 100% VOLUNTARY and would deal with troublesome fans.

Since the new rink (and IIRC the later days in the BBT) they sacked off all the volunteers to pay people to do the same job with a new security firm coming in (i think?).

We have Security, and we have stewards. These types of situations should be dealt with.

HOWEVER,

shoe on the other foot, there are radicals in every sport, our usual week in week out game is very family friendly; and comparing ice hockey to football (who would even do that...) there are HUNDREDS of police officers at every football game and double that the amount of Stewards, and there is still "antisocial behavior" amongst fans.

Therefore i don't agree that we just accept it will be a problem for us, but in small chunks (1-2 games in the CHL) I think slightly problematic away fans are not a big problem.