Devils Vs SC Bern - Sat 1st Sept 2018 7.15 - CHL

Hedd Wyn John

Excellent performance from the Devils , high tempo, tight D and a terrific workrate. They deffo upped their performance compared to Thursda. It was a shame to lose it in OT. But I feel that SC Bern had the edge in puck retention & were just a touch more clinical when it mattered. The CHL was always going to be a big ask but the performance of the Devils so far has shown we’re certainly knocking at the door. We’ve gotta remember we’re uo against teams with much bigger budgets so the Devils are doing well.

mjh

Good game tonight and good to see the team put in a strong 60 mins seeing as though it was such a high paced game. Benti is such an important player for us and is fast becoming my favourite. Thought Richie was very strong too. Shame we didn’t get the W but cannot fault the effort.

Pope#42

As others have said - what a game of hockey! So many positives to take from that game. Bern were truly outstanding but I think we gave them a run for their money. Bern didn’t really ice the puck and seemed to take every opportunity they had but all of our boys should be proud of that performance tonight - I know I am.

Last edited:
Another fantastic CHL game So entertaining.
Unfortunately 3 on 3 ot was always going to be a big ask.
However, it is clear that Bern are a much better team than Salzburg and I think a result in Austria is not out of the question based on the performance tonight.

Rich Best

The great thing about this team is that we are a team. It is hard to pick out any single player. To a man we worked hard and performed well.

If you are an opposition coach in the EIHL who do you coach your team to watch? You can't, because we have such strength in depth. Do we really have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd line? Or three 1st lines?!!!

I enjoyed every second of that game, thank you!

See I didn't even say anything about Reddick, but another solid performance Bryce (sorry couldn't help it!).

Devils86

The timing of the CHL is an odd one for me - essentially we are stepping up out of pre-season and the result is that we should be raring to go for when we start our league matches. On that note the progression of the team from just a fortnight ago is scary - the thought of Linglet (in particular) fully ready to go...wow.

I do wonder if we would fare better in the CHL if it came later in the season and we’d had a few weeks under our belt to get up to full throttle. But I suppose this is the best pre-season we could have - I’d suggest no team in the EIHL would handle us on either Thursday or Saturday performances.

Foxy

we have to remember that for a lot of these teams their season has been going on many more weeks than the devils.

CHL for us is too early IMO although it does sharpen us up quickly. Problem is adapting back down to playing Elite level. That’s where we fell down at the beginning of last season. I just hope we don’t pick up any injuries.

bdevil

I think the last two performances have been immense, as many others have said. But one thing I’ve noticed is how crucial Matthew Myers is to this team.. one area that we’ve been a bit weak on is face offs and that’s what (not only) he brings to us. Our power plays have been okay but too often we’ve lost the initial draw, Matthew Myers could solve this. I hope he’s fit for next week

What are everyone’s thoughts on the SC fans? They may have been good at cheering there team on but they were also very aggressive and threatening. There were 3 incidents tonight, one that I was a part of just because we were filming them. Now I had no idea they didn’t like to be filmed, so why come to an ice rink and make all that noise? At the end of the 1st period one of them came up to me and my friend and aggressively told us to stop filming, no need for it. I just said I didn’t know they weren’t meant to be filmed, but what I question is how the are going to stop a whole rink of people from doing it. Another incident was one of the male fans squaring up to one of our female fans, screaming and swearing at her just because she took a picture and incident number 3 was one of their fans doing a slit throat sign at a young girl. She was terrified!! I don’t think there is any need for this disgusting behaviour at our games. Just wanted to address this.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the SC fans? They may have been good at cheering there team on but they were also very aggressive and threatening. There were 3 incidents tonight, one that I was a part of just because we were filming them. Now I had no idea they didn’t like to be filmed, so why come to an ice rink and make all that noise? At the end of the 1st period one of them came up to me and my friend and aggressively told us to stop filming, no need for it. I just said I didn’t know they weren’t meant to be filmed, but what I question is how the are going to stop a whole rink of people from doing it. Another incident was one of the male fans squaring up to one of our female fans, screaming and swearing at her just because she took a picture and incident number 3 was one of their fans doing a slit throat sign at a young girl. She was terrified!! I don’t think there is any need for this disgusting behaviour at our games. Just wanted to address this.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them I didn’t see any of that behaviour from the Bern fans but what I do know is these so called Swiss ultras don’t like being filmed or having their pictures taken it was the same with Davis last year. But I did a video like many others another thing I know that they had been drinking all day in the city centre, they all appeared very drunk

bb1

Superb game of hockey. We did ourselves proud and everyone gave their all. Our new guys are first class. Dixon is an absolute beast, Hedden does everything imaginable, Linglet is silky smooth with phenomenal vision. Blood for me so far is absolute class and I have to say has the edge over Strachen from what im seeing as he does everything well with a real nasty edge too.

Bern were superb along the boards and won most of the battles when it counted. Just a pity our power play never really clicked otherwise I think it would have been 2pts in the bag.

Well done guys!

BostonBart22

I did read somewhere a while ago that nottingham fans were warning us of bern fans behaviour in nottingham, a lot are football fans, couldve done with a few more stewards knowing what they were going to be like..

Mooney#16

Reference Bern fans welcome to the world of European hockey. In this country the crowds are as said previously very family friendly however over in some European leagues it’s highly male dominated and tribal with crowd trouble not uncommon and police presence usually required. It’s a clash of cultures. They’re idiots just like football hooligans back in the day but i’m not shocked people had issues if they didn’t know what they were dealing with.

As for the game. Gutted but in such a good way. Per head of supporter Bern is the biggest franchise in European hockey and Devils took them into OT with a hugely talented and committed performance. The players should feel hugely proud but I hope also disappointed as with a pinch of luck that could have been all three points. No reason to fear either team going into there barns and if Devils can keep Salzburg and Bern of the scoreboard and the fans get on them who knows what might happen. Dare to dream!

Mazzoak

That result could have easily gone either way. We seemed to trouble them in stages throughout the game, to which they couldn’t sharpen up and respond, l guess difference in styles meant it looked scrappy and disorganised. If only they’d had their top scorer and we had Parisi. To have that result last night is massive, brilliant game.

Earnie

I can only repeat all the good things other people have said. We took the Swiss champions to overtime. That is a huge achievement. The experience of being there watching that game was immense. Both Salzburg and Bern are beatable. We were right their amongst them -- the top teams in Europe. One poster mentioned he thought Bern was the better team of our two visitors this week. I am not so sure of that but what they both did was mark our men so that passing was problematic because an opposition shirt was in the way.
I am so proud of this team. I feel sad for Lordo, the team, and the owners for they would have wanted at least one win out of these two games.

tim78

Kudos to all the team for that game, excellent entertainment and display of competitiveness. Certainly a games worth being part of regardless of the result. Though I do think we fans need to find a loud chant to make Piggsey and Lord remember when Bownes on the bench for delayed penalty they need to send out the extra skater.

Consider the rest of the elite is pushing pre-season against DEL2 teams and we've had the chance to take it to OT against the Swiss champs is a good comparison.

Defeinetly started the CHL better this season, even though it's the home games I think well get overall closer results.

Devils86

As the opposite side of the coin I met a few Bern fans after the game and they were perfectly pleasant and very complimentary about everything Devils. That being said they weren’t your typical “football hooligan”-type, these guys were probably in their 50s with spouses and friends.