Devils Vs Red Bull Salzburg -Thu 30th Aug 2018 / 7:30pm - CHL

Foxy

Not really sure where the complaints are coming from for the officiating. They made the correct calls when they needed to be made and ignored the soft stuff that fans often call for.
Not so much the refs but the number of offsides missed by the linesmen were unacceptable. I sit on one of the blue lines and players were 2-3 foot offside and no call made. Nice to see the penalty given to them for being thrown out the face off. Wish our refs would call it more often

Finny

Watching the game back now without the emotion and two things that spring to mind:
-We didn’t play as bad in the 1st as I thought. We actually created quite a few chances
-Some of the refereeing decisions were bizarre. Only 2 mins for high sticks when it drew blood????

mjh

Their man to man forced Devils to rely on hard won shots close to net whereas most of their goals were from distance, open looks due to spaces created from zonal D. First 2 seemed too easy but Bowns needed more protection. Fournier was awesome although his big hit very nearly cost another goal. Thankfully Bowns used his gymnastics training and probably the force to keep it out. Even though we lost it was probably the most exciting game I’ve been to. Really enjoyed the effort and skill on show. Haddad stood out for me as our best player followed by Dixon and Batch. Looking forward to Sat. If we play that way in the EIHL this season I’d expect the 3peat to be on!

Rich Best

There always seems to be a bit of anti-Reddick undertone floating around, so I just want to counter that. I thought Bryce was solid last night, he looks completely at home against that kind of opposition. His skating ability is above this league. We needed fast and agile defencemen last night and Bryce stood out in that respect. He skates backwards faster than most skate forwards, and is always fast on the transition adding an extra attacking threat.

Very controlled performance Bryce, and love your passion for the jersey. Keep it up, you get my vote and I know most true fans are behind you. Ignore the haters.

And as for people criticising Linglet. I have no words! Pure class! His pass to setup Dixon in the slot in P3 was magical.

mjh

There always seems to be a bit of anti-Reddick undertone floating around, so I just want to counter that. I thought Bryce was solid last night, he looks completely at home against that kind of opposition. His skating ability is above this league. We needed fast and agile defencemen last night and Bryce stood out in that respect. He skates backwards faster than most skate forwards, and is always fast on the transition adding an extra attacking threat.

Very controlled performance Bryce, and love your passion for the jersey. Keep it up, you get my vote and I know most true fans are behind you. Ignore the haters.

And as for people criticising Linglet. I have no words! Pure class! His pass to setup Dixon in the slot in P3 was magical.

What I noticed last night was how annoying Reddick is for opposition forwards. I mean in a good way. He gets stuck in with an angry face on him the whole time. Linglet just looked like he needs a few games and then he’ll be firing on all cylinders no doubt.

Rich Best

What I noticed last night was how annoying Reddick is for opposition forwards. I mean in a good way. He gets stuck in with an angry face on him the whole time. Linglet just looked like he needs a few games and then he’ll be firing on all cylinders no doubt.
Agree - love his passion and tenacity, you can't train that. That is something very special Bryce has in his DNA! Reminds me a bit of Vez.

Linglet will improve with more games under his belt, but god can you see the class. How people missed that I really don't know... He won't be a tenacious worker doing the dirty stuff. He is just going to be in the right place at the right time, and make the right plays. The guys playing on his line are gonna absolutely love him!

I thought we gave it a great run last night. although playing well in the first we did give up those goals.But pre season and CHL are worlds apart and it's always going to take a bit of time to transition. When you think about the players that stood out (Fournier, blood, dixon, haddad, batch, pope
and others) and then those players that maybe didn't have their best game (Martin, Linglet etc) just imagine what's going to happen when we start to properly gel as a team. putting 40+ shots on a keeper of that calibre and only getting 2 just shows us that he had one of those nights. nights that we've seen bowns have quite a few times. History shows since 15/16 that the devils get more potent and more clinical as the season goes on and I think the three peat is on big time. getting ahead of myself but have so much confidence in this team and the fact we have Moore, Batch and Rutkis looking very hungry just adds a tonne of depth to this team. I think and hope this is a season where we see batch have a stormer, always been good but I think he's got another 2 maybe 3 levels he can go up. be so good to get him back in the GB squad where he should be! No longer a ST holder as have 2nd baby at 7 weeks so hoping to have a lot of post match discussions on here after streaming. I don't know how I'm going to last a year without hockey at the arena???

Sorry one last comment the post game about the Salzburg game have been awesome! No complaints about beer prices or anything else just good, detailed hockey discussion about our team! let's keep it going. haven't been on here for a while but if we're going to talk hockey and discuss the play we see I'm in. No offence intended to anyone who would like to discuss beer prices or anything non game related.

ASHIPP

RBS will know they have been in a game last night. Apart from a poor first period/slow start, bad luck on some ref calls, the Devils played well in p2 and p3. They should be proud of themselves - the fans certainly were proud of our Team. They will have learned a lot from this game tactically. One thing they cannot control in these games is their short bench and players with lack of game-time. Until they shore up the defence by bringing in a high end experienced import, and forward lines and defence pairings are settled, the Team will continue to battle but may struggle with consistency.

One difference in this game was netminding - Herzog was superb. Anyone who can stave off 12 direct shots against in a powerplay is on top of his game. And whilst relentless forechecking will usually unsettle the opposition, and shutting down shooting lanes will limit scoring chances , RBS used a few other tactics to ensure the Devils were going to have to earn puck possession and do something with it. For instance, many times Salzburg players simply man marked our Guys OFF the puck, meaning that our player with possession had no-one to pass it to. Haddad and Martin both had instances where they had to retain the puck, Fournier and Reddick had no option but to carry it themselves into the attacking zone....because all other players were man-marked out.

Chemistry looks to be building. The new Guys are making fantastic contributions. The Guys were battling man for man until the end. Once they iron out the niggles and get a full roster going, the Big Red Machine will be ready to roll in the domestic competitions.

august04

Haters?! What a ridiculous comment. Nobody hates Reddick but some have a different opinion to yours, which is their right. Some “true” fans can see both good and bad points in a game, doesn’t make them less of a fan than those who only watch games through rose tinted specs. FWIW, I thought Reddick was OK last night, problems lay elsewhere in the first period as many posts have alluded to.

Rich Best

Haters?! What a ridiculous comment. Nobody hates Reddick but some have a different opinion to yours, which is their right. Some “true” fans can see both good and bad points in a game, doesn’t make them less of a fan than those who only watch games through rose tinted specs. FWIW, I thought Reddick was OK last night, problems lay elsewhere in the first period as many posts have alluded to.
There are a lot of haters, hence why Bryce had to delete his Twitter account last year. I just want to put out an opposing view, a view that I believe is shared by others. Hopefully Bryce reads the positive - although I think a number of people last year scared him away from Social Media altogether!

august04

There are a lot of haters, hence why Bryce had to delete his Twitter account last year. I just want to put out an opposing view, a view that I believe is shared by others. Hopefully Bryce reads the positive - although I think a number of people last year scared him away from Social Media altogether!
As you said, that was one year ago......perhaps time to move on?
Most posters here now are generally positive towards him, although I have a different view to that - but I fully respect the guy’s effort, which nobody can fault.

I think "haters" is maybe a bit strong, but I'm with you on this. A few posters don't seem to rate him, and talk about him as worthy of only being a "spare" import. Some others think he only looked half decent last time round because he played alongside Strachan.
Personally I rate his dynamism, and battling personality. He has attributes that some of the bigger men don't, and Andrew Lord rates him highly, so that's good enough for me.

RedDevil17

The ones who don’t rate a certain player on here are ‘haters’ according to certain posters. That’s how pathetic this forum has become. We’re classed as haters for having an opinion on certain players...WOW! I’ve heard the lot now. You really are a ‘happy clapper’ aren’t you Rich!

Last edited:

jimmy snels

Am i a hater for saying i think bownsy has started this season extreemly poorly or does it only work for reddick?
we are conceeding way to many goals at the minute and a number I've watched and thought "that really should have been saved"

Wagstaff

Sorry if I’m repeating what anyone has already written but I haven’t had the time to read through all the comments thoroughly.
I feel to go from a few “challenge” games to a serious game at this level is ludicrous, for your boys to go out against teams from what are renowned to be better leagues when they barely know each other’s names and to put on the performance they did for the last two periods was phenomenal, had it not been for their nettie you would be celebrating a well deserved victory.

Good luck for the weekend Devils
Oh and hopefully the reffing will be better too as that certainly went against you

Foxy

Yeah closed his TWITTER account used by many outside of this forum. I'm sorry but this was all last year and if it keeps getting brought up time and time again its just going to alienate fans. I thought this thread had been going well up until now.

Rich Best

The ones who don’t rate a certain player on here are ‘haters’ according to certain posters. That’s how pathetic this forum has become. We’re classed as haters for having an opinion on certain players...WOW! I’ve heard the lot now. You really are a ‘happy clapper’ aren’t you Rich!
Yes happy clapper 100%. Always believe in this club, always will. Always believed we would win even when we didn't.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #100
As Foxy said, it was all going so well :) Can we please keep from labelling other fans. Argue the point, explain why you thought X player was good or bad on the night, but don’t get personal
Ta