Devils Vs Red Bull Salzburg -Thu 30th Aug 2018 / 7:30pm - CHL

osh

Not too disappointed after a great effort from our guys. The difference in my opinion was their netminder made huge save throughout and ours didn’t. Ben Bowns has stood on his head for us in so many games but he has got of to a poor start this season and at 3 - 0 down we were looking to be onto a hiding. He came up big for us in the 2nd period and we had many chances to score in 2nd & 3rd periods but their nettie was superb and the main reason for their deserved win.

BostonBart22

Not too disappointed after a great effort from our guys. The difference in my opinion was their netminder made huge save throughout and ours didn’t. Ben Bowns has stood on his head for us in so many games but he has got of to a poor start this season and at 3 - 0 down we were looking to be onto a hiding. He came up big for us in the 2nd period and we had many chances to score in 2nd & 3rd periods but their nettie was superb and the main reason for their deserved win.
I seem to remember bowns had a slow start last season, and came good in the league and won it for us imho..

I thought that was one of the best games I've watched. Just a shame the boys couldn't get a few more passed Herzog - even when he stuck his face in the way of one. I think some of our players looked outstanding last night - Fournier, Dixon, Blood etc but hopefully the rest are having a bit more of a setting in period and are up to speed soon. Watching both teams on the power play and Salzburg - when had the chance were trying to slapshot it in most times which to me seemed a better idea. Wheras the devils tried too many times just to chip / deflect it in close to the net, but the net minder was way too good for this. Fantastic amosphere down there last night! So heads up, and move on to the next!

Wannabe2

That game last night was worth every penny, what a game of hockey, take away the abominable reffing and it was superb. Salzburg netminder was something else, he won that game for them. We outshot one very good team, and the lads last night showed us what’s to come, and it looks very rosy indeed. The boys left everything out on the ice last night, and it made you feel very proud to be a Devils fan, not terribly long ago that opposition would have destroyed us, but we could have so easily taken that result, and that says an aweful lot about where we are today. A great game to watch, and a team to feel so much optimism about. Shame about the Salzburg lad that took a nasty puck to the face, apparently lost 3 teeth, and is still in hospital.

Devil_Abroad

Herzog owned us. We would have scored 10 on many other keepers in the CHL.

I thought Linglet and Reddick looked really poor. Linglet looked way off the pace and Reddick got bullied behind the net all night. Fingers crossed it was rust.

On the positive, we absolutely dominated them up front. Hedden and Dixon were monsters all night.
Disagree

Linglet and Redick were not 'really poor'

Linglet did look tired in the 3rd but that's because he's missed most of the pre-season games; however his class, gliding speed, quick hands and vision were awesome to see.

Reddick will never boss the back boards due to his size, but his speed and stick work makes up for it. The only thing worrying in the second was seeing him often the furthest forward behind their net - guess we were chasing!

That's my view.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Agree whole heartedly with RedDevil17 as the refs seemed to call some soft penalties on us whilst ignoring some obvious ones from red bull. Cannot blame them for the result but i feel it gifted period one to them and by then we were already out of it 0-3. We had our fair share of pps and outshot them comprehensively. We will learn from this and i do not believe this will be all gloom and doom. Batch was heroic again tonight both up front and on D.
Referees were poor throughout - to both teams. Felt they wanted to make a mark early on and then they just continued to be fussy with no chance of the game owing 5 on 5 throughout.

Devil_Abroad

Some good feedback here guys. Thanks, great to read. Very much looking forward to SC Bern on Saturday. Bringing a couple of newbies with me. One from Swindon, and a fellow Canuck from Medicine Hat. What was the attendance like? What's it looking like for Saturday?
Attendance was ok for a Thursday night holiday game though most of the league have been crying out 'it's very poor for a CHL game' hmmm

The noise and atmosphere was awesome and I hope they bring it again on Saturday - unfortunately we are off home today to prepare for the Austria trip.

You and your friends will love the it - and the speed of the game is incredible to watch

Devil_Abroad

That was never a 5-2 game. I thought we played very well, matched them all the way and had enough chances to win the game but the difference between the two teams was the quality of netminding on the night. You just can’t give up a couple of soft goals like we did and give a team in the CHL a cheap 4 goal lead. Goaltending has been my main concern pre-season, with both of our guys having plenty of room for improvement. I’m sure they will but the CHL being so early in the season doesn’t help unfortunately. Some very positive stuff though tonight and we have no reason to fear these teams anymore. Even at 4-2 down and on the pp for 4 minutes, I thought we had a chance still - just a shame a certain Mr.Hotham wasn’t still around to drive us on at that point. No point living in the past though I suppose. We move on, replace Parisi soon hopefully (that guy has really cost us in the CHL campaign) and I’m sure we’ll be fine.
We may have missed the skill of Hotham on the point in a pp but man do we look much better on D for speed - Hotham, Strachan and Paris would have struggled last night. I don't know what Batch was doing over the summer but he's picked up speed too! He looks so much better this season.

Devil_Abroad

Outshot them 40-23
Many on here saying that Herzog stood on his head and maybe reading the shots on goal others might understand that point of view. I thought he had a good game but many of those shots were deflections that just hit him and slid past the post. I can't remember a single great save that he made? Also there were quite a few on him from our own defensive zone.

We also saw so many pucks hit players and skim past the posts - any other night and they could have easily deflected inside the posts. Salzberg were fast, really fast. They also played high intensity forecheck that I thought put us under immense pressure but on the whole we coped. Their recycling of the puck mirrored ours in the last couple of seasons. Their D also collapsed quickly in front of the net which meant our shots almost always deflected and out luck was out.

Putting aside the early breakout goal where the D should have closed them down and the 2 nightmare goals let in by Bowns for 0-3, we were awesome! Our speed, movement and retention of the puck both behind but also in front of their net (which is a wonderful addition this season) was amazing. Really pleased with that performance just not the end result.

Gospel

Good game of hockey to watch but the Devils didnt get out of the blocks until we were 3-0 down.

I think what the game did show is that we were probably under prepared for the game. The injuries havent helped settle things & Linglet was treading water in the 3rd which is not surprising as hes had little game time. Myers is a huge loss especially in the face offs. RBS were not huge in size, think the average height was 5’10” but they finished a load of checks hard & were very quick going forward.

There were good signs for the Devils but for a team who had expectations of progressing beyond the group stages as the owners & Lordo have said thats a game they would have needed & wanted to win. The reverse game will be interesting.

Ben Blood looks good, Dixon looks awesome & Batchy had a very good game to. Lots of things to work on but signs look positive for thr EIHL this year again.

Devil_Abroad

Their defence was the difference tonight, you can't argue against a four-minute PP shutout and they looked like they'd put a shift in from the looks on their faces each and every defensive changeover. Fully committed and very well organised with some great pace on their roster (Gazley in particular). Well played Salzburg.

If only we weren't so slow-out-the-blocks in the first period though! Felt like we were still in pre-season mode.

Surprised at the amount of empty seats, the fella next to me (season ticket holder) told me he wasn't going to bother tonight but for a last second change of mind and that he held the league in higher regard. Is the CHL really not that highly regarded? This should be a pinnacle for us, surely!
Can't know for sure what's in people minds but I guess it's a mid-week game, still pre-season feel, schools not back, people still on holidays etc

Also, for some the cHL may be a distraction? They may think what's the point as we're not going to progress? Maybe like last season it will be 50 mins of defence?

Guys, if you have a chance of going on Saturday then please take it. Bern will be a different type of team to Salzberg but we have team that now has speed and skill to compete.

Wannabe2

Can't know for sure what's in people minds but I guess it's a mid-week game, still pre-season feel, schools not back, people still on holidays etc

Also, for some the cHL may be a distraction? They may think what's the point as we're not going to progress? Maybe like last season it will be 50 mins of defence?

Guys, if you have a chance of going on Saturday then please take it. Bern will be a different type of team to Salzberg but we have team that now has speed and skill to compete.
Spot on, this team is certainly worth every penny to watch, and it’s going to get better. That game last night was a pure JOY to watch, and to have missed it would have been a shame, this team will only get better, and when Myers, Linglet, and Faryna get up to speed then watch us Rock and Roll. If you love watching this awesome sport, then don’t miss Saturday we are too good to miss.
Happy Hockey Days

Earnie

CHL hockey is a joy to watch. Had we capitalised on the opportunities we had (and deserved) it would have been a different story. A great performance by Devils and I am very proud of them.
Attendance was at a guess about 2700 which is not bad. If you are thinking about Saturday then stop thinking-just go. It is too good to miss. Let's have a full house and boost the team.

Devil_Abroad

That game last night was worth every penny, what a game of hockey, take away the abominable reffing and it was superb. Salzburg netminder was something else, he won that game for them. We outshot one very good team, and the lads last night showed us what’s to come, and it looks very rosy indeed. The boys left everything out on the ice last night, and it made you feel very proud to be a Devils fan, not terribly long ago that opposition would have destroyed us, but we could have so easily taken that result, and that says an aweful lot about where we are today. A great game to watch, and a team to feel so much optimism about. Shame about the Salzburg lad that took a nasty puck to the face, apparently lost 3 teeth, and is still in hospital.
Aye, and a guy by me who'd been up and down all night to the beer 'tent' found it very funny. Why? Just why?

D needs to tighten, 3 quick release shots for first 3 goals got past Bowns in the first. He picked up in the second and third. Puck out loose in front of goal and not picked up on a number of occasions. We need to be more clinical on the finishing which will come. Scoreline flattered salzburg should have been a lot closer. We're missing Myers in front of the goalie on the PP. Refing was bloody awful especially the linesmen.

Overall not a bad performance but still a work in progress.
We are also missing Myers on face offs. I don’t think we won one until the second period.

RTfarty

Not really sure where the complaints are coming from for the officiating. They made the correct calls when they needed to be made and ignored the soft stuff that fans often call for.

Not much to add other than what's already been said. Took us a while/4 goals to adapt to the speed of Salzburg, but a fantastic response in the 2nd period where we absolutely dominated the game once we got on the board. Their D/Netminder made the difference in the end and did a good job of shutting us down in the 3rd. Tougher challenges ahead now with SC Bern and Vaxjo but all fantastic experience for both the players and fans, if you're on the fence about going to a CHL game, get a ticket!

I also want to highlight Batch who had an outstanding game. Seemed to be playing with a huge amount of confidence, used his size well on and off the puck, and always seemed to be involved in the play.

An enjoyable game on the whole, if a frustrating result. A combination of things cost us some cheap early goals, which lead to our downfall. The first was an inability to keep the puck in the attacking zone which just bobbled over a stick and resulting passage lead to a goal. The D were unfortunately beaten along the boards a few too many times leaving men free in the slot for easy goals.

I think the D were feeling this as one goal came from a particularly poor attempt to clear the puck around the backboard rather than to take possession and play it, a confidence thing this early in the season, particularly if you are having players on you quicker than you are used to and already having lost a few battles down low.

Bowns would want a couple of those early goals back, but I wouldn't say they were his fault, even if he had set up better they were unmarked shots from the slot.

Outside of a patch in the third where we couldn't clear our zone for a good 5 mins when 5-on-5 I think we were the better team (even at 4 goals down). We wont outshoot a team by that much and lose very often and even when we did have Herzog beat luck wasn't on our side, like Joey Martin's wide angle shot.

Dixon, Ulmer and Haddad were superb, I felt and really drove the offense. LInglet was solid, but very quiet so I imagine is still getting up to match fitness. Some silly penalties aside, I like the look of Blood and Hedden took his breakaway goal extremely well (off a great pass by Pope).

Lots of positives to take from a game but I couldn't help feeling disappointed given the overall performance that some early mistakes cost us.

Devil94

Don’t get the complaints about the officiating either, everything in the first period I thought was correct. The penalty on Benti at the start of the second seemed quite harsh, but then he called one of their guys for a similar play in the third. Stricter than a domestic game, but consistent and fair for both teams, can’t ask for more than that.
And I think due to their officiating, the game flowed, and was a fast game as a result.

As for the game, real shame about those 3 early ones, you never felt we would come back after a poor start. But for over half of the game you could argue we were the better side, and had a few bounces gone our way we could have indeed pulled it back.

Looking forward to tomorrow night already.

Last edited:

bb1

Herzog owned us. We would have scored 10 on many other keepers in the CHL.

I thought Linglet and Reddick looked really poor. Linglet looked way off the pace and Reddick got bullied behind the net all night. Fingers crossed it was rust.

On the positive, we absolutely dominated them up front. Hedden and Dixon were monsters all night.
Must’ve watched a different Linglet to a few people. I thought he was superb. Two bad passes is all I could fault him for, other than that he seemed to be one of the best on the ice. So good in fact Lord moved him onto the powerplay unit.

Overall it was a really, really good game. No reason for the Devils to be disheartened, that game could’ve gone either way. A few defensive mistakes cost us; forwards not covering D when they had to pinch or step up, a silly reverse clearance around the boards was the difference.

But we lived with some top opposition and I thought we really started to see some chemistry after a difficult preseason.
Wow.......Linglet poor......i'm completely bemused by this. I must have been watching a different game. (no offence).

I completely agree with Ocko. I thought Linglet was superb. He is in a different class and reminds me a bit of Kurka in that he seems to be thinking a step ahead of everybody else.

Overall great performance and scoreline did not reflect the game at all. We were the better team. The only difference was the net-minding. Bowns would have wanted at least 2 of those goals back.

We were very unlucky in front of the net and didnt get the favourable bounces.

Look out Bern!

osh

I seem to remember bowns had a slow start last season, and came good in the league and won it for us imho..
Indeed he did come good during the season and along with the whole team, won trophies, however, what has that got to do with how he played last night. Fair play to Ben, he was brutally honest in his interview and admitted he had a below par game. I have no doubt in his ability and hope we see an improved performance on Saturday where he certainly needs better D cover than offered in the 1st period last night.